Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 6,760 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have two small children and would like to move from Chicago to the south. We have considered Arkansas because we found decent paying jobs via Craigslist. A job was found (Law Firm) in West Little Rock. I am from Chicago so I know about crime, but I don't want to live near alot of it. I understand that things happen everywhere, but I don't want to run to it. We are Afro American that want to live in a decent area. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 05:01 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
West Little Rock is a safe suburban area. Most of the area's big box retail and chain restaurants are in this area. Its also in the Pulaski County school district rather than the Little Rock school district. Some of the wealthiest zipcodes in the state are in West Little Rock. Everything people love about NWA is also in West Little Rock. The natural beauty is nicest in that part of the city as well.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:01 PM

369 posts, read 1,302,635 times
If you prefer to stay in Little Rock proper, then west Little Rock (the parts west of I-430) is probably the best part of the city for those new to the area. It's very suburban and is among the safest communities in the state.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:10 AM

350 posts, read 1,288,737 times
Little Rock does have crime but it is isolated to a few pockets of town. In those areas, though, crime is very serious. A general rule of thumb has always been to stay away from the area East of I-430 and South of I-630 and everything else is safe, and I'd say that's more than 90% accurate. West Little Rock is generally all perfectly safe. However, there are plenty of nice older neighborhoods every bit as safe, generally centered around Cantrell and Kavanaugh - the Heights, Hillcrest, River Ridge, Foxcroft, Cammack Village, Overlook, etc are all as safe as any distant suburban neigborhood.

Are you looking at private schools or public? Chenal, which is extreme West LR, is in the Pulaski Co School District and is opening a state of the art elementary. There are good parts of the LRSD as well - elementaries like Fulbright and Forest Heights and Central High School as well as all of the magnet schools. Most people in West LR use private schools and Pulaski Academy, LR Christian, Anthony School, and the Catholic school system are all popular options.

I live in Chenal and I really like it. For upscale suburbia it is relatively diverse. Chenal Country Club has the highest percentage of African-American members of any traditional CC in the nation. There is a nice new shopping center in the heart of the neighborhood that has a movie theater with IMAX and most typical mall stores. Best of all, it has beautiful rolling forested hills. I use private schools (Pulaski Academy) but would have no issue with Chenal Elementary. The 72223 zip is the state's most affluent but it also has a negligible crime rate, as close to zero as you can get.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:01 PM

9 posts, read 25,528 times
We just purchased in Chenal... We really like it.

If feels a lot more diverse than other parts of West Little Rock, which is important to use being from southern California.

We have Asian and Indian neighbors...

Our kids will be going to the new Chenal elemetary and we're super-excited!

Old 05-27-2008, 08:14 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,724 times
I have some family living in Ferndale, just outside Little Rock, to the west- very small and country if you like that sort of thing and dont mind being outside LR's city limits...

Old 05-27-2008, 08:22 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-rox View Post
I have some family living in Ferndale, just outside Little Rock, to the west- very small and country if you like that sort of thing and dont mind being outside LR's city limits...
Another thing to consider, these days you have to really consider whether these kind of places are really worth the fuel costs for the commute.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:16 PM

350 posts, read 1,288,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Another thing to consider, these days you have to really consider whether these kind of places are really worth the fuel costs for the commute.
Ferndale will be Chenal in 10 years. It may not be such a commute. I remember when it really was WAY out there. I also remember when they were paving Chenal Pkwy when I was in high school, around 1993.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: