Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 09:34 PM

82 posts, read 224,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
By the way: This may seem like a strange suggestion, but if you can dig up and transport a fire ant mound (gotta get the queen) to your property, you shouldn't be bothered by chiggers or ticks again. They eat them

Seriously???

Those fire ants are a nasty bunch. I accidentally laid on a small mound of them back when I was in basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC. We had just finished doing the "gas chamber" and we're doing pt (physical training) before heading back to the barracks. Next thing I know, I've got ants on my arms and not knowing any better, I tried to just brush them off. They commenced to biting and I said the heck with pt, jumped up and tried getting them off me.

By now they're in my t-shirt too and I've got one heck of a dance going on. The girls are all giving me heck about "not following directions", I had some choice words for them and then the DI's (drill instructors) came to my rescue.

I was lucky and didn't get sick but I had bumps everywhere and they itched something terrible.

After that one experience, I think I'll keep my chiggers!

Redbird,

Thanks for the heads up on Chigarid. We'll definately be picking some up before we make another trip out to our new place.

Dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 07:55 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
I have lived in western Arkansas my whole life and I don't even know what chiggers are.

Seed ticks on the other hand....I hate those little ********!

Old 09-07-2009, 08:50 AM

506 posts, read 651,569 times
Default Hot Springs Chiggers

we've lived in hot springs village for nine years. In spring and summer I avoid the yard for the most part since I don't want to be scratching my ankles and behind my knees for a couple of weeks, especially at bedtime due to chiggers. You do have to spray your shoes and ankles but I swear they can go through tennis shoes. Many times I've sprayed my tennis shoes and have gotten chiggers on top of my feet and in between my toes anyway. It makes no sense and it's very annoying. To get blisters and rashes you have to scratch as hard as you can for half the night and then you can even bleed. My husband does that. Scratches himself raw, in other words.
The best remedy for the itch for me is aloe vera gel. I didn't get chiggers this summer; I stayed out of the yard. You can do that or take a shower as soon as you come inside. Same in East Texas.
I hope if you move to HS you choose living on Lake Hamilton or Lake Catherine since the downtown area is actually dangerous. Lots of crime, the police mostly look the other way and are very laid back.
During the Hoidays, I don't like being downtown even during daytime since some people beg for money . Past dark, just stay away from downtown Any time of the year. I went to a gas station past dark one night and this guy at another pump said, "I don't want to rob you or anything." I left as fast as I could.
I would only live in a gated community in this town. If you can swing that and don't mind a VERY SPARSE amount of good places to eat you'll like it here. Terrific climate, very low taxes, nice hills. Good luck.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:22 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Go to the drug store and buy some Elemental Sulfur. It's the basic yellow pure sulfur, which costs about a dollar a pound. Put about a half cup of it into an old sock and tie it, to use it as a dusting bag. Keep a bag in your car, too. Before you go out, dust your lower pants legs, shoes and socks. You will never get another chigger bite. You don't even have to be very thorough---chiggers hate the stuff and will not go near it.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:52 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
I can't ever remember getting chiggers in my 27 years in Fort Smith, but I went to Eureka Springs this weekend and got eaten alive. I couldnt believe how bad my daughter and I got eaten by those things. They are ruthless!

Old 09-08-2009, 07:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I can't ever remember getting chiggers in my 27 years in Fort Smith, but I went to Eureka Springs this weekend and got eaten alive. I couldnt believe how bad my daughter and I got eaten by those things. They are ruthless!
they are and it appears there isn't too much that can be done. Next spring I will get the stuff that was recommended and hope it helps. We are also going to ask our terminating company if they have any suggestions.

Nita

Old 09-14-2009, 11:12 AM

807 posts, read 2,516,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Wow! I can't believe someone from Arkansas went that long without getting covered up in chiggers! That's a pretty amazing streak.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,153 times
Talking Best Chigger Solution by far

Chiggers can get nasty if untreated and there is no good medicine, but you are lucky to be reading this to find out the best simple thing for a
severe problem is any color of nail polish you can take for a few days.

Put a brush on each spot, the parasite suffocates, by the time the polish wears off your fine. completely gone. Farmers trick .

Old 12-08-2009, 04:08 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,069,265 times
Here is a link to a website from the Missouri Department Of Conservation. It has a lot of information about chiggers. Arkansas and Missouri both have a lot of chiggers at times and I've been told by many people that the nail polish cure is a farce. I think the chiggers are already gone by the time you get the itchy bumps. Chiggers are one of the main reasons I won't live in the states that have them. I can deal with a few tics, mosquitoes and poison Ivy but I don't want to be anywhere that has a lot of chiggers.

Chiggers! (http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/chiggers/ - broken link)

Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 PM

8 posts, read 13,723 times
The same happened to me when I went hiking last month. Those things are vicious! I went to the DR and she gave me some cream. But weirdly enough my friend who's into natural remedies. Recommended me to rub my own spit on them to stop the itch and I'm not going to lie it actually worked for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area