Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 12:26 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
Well with the gas/petrol at around $8 a gallon and still rising it might not be cheaper anymore lol but yeah it is much more convenient to have a car to get to places where public transport is not available or very limited.
We did the calculations when gas was around the 95p per liter mark up in Yorkshire.

Quote:
First are a joke they have put up the fares again its crazy but luckily I never use the public transport. The tram service is much nicer than the buses but they run to nowhere if you don't live in the city or inner city then its a pointless system which will never be extended due to cost.

Another aspect I liked about the bus system I used in the US was that you don't actually deal with the bus driver as all you do is insert the dollars into the machine which I thought was cool.
First had buses like that in York; they were these big purple bendy buses. I can't remember the exact name they had for them, but they were a right pain. You had to put money into a machine to buy a ticket and if you didn't have the exact change you were stuffed; the machine didn't make change. Eventually First put human ticket sellers on the buses because people complained so much about the machines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 03:23 PM

578 posts, read 3,063,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
We did the calculations when gas was around the 95p per liter mark up in Yorkshire.

First had buses like that in York; they were these big purple bendy buses. I can't remember the exact name they had for them, but they were a right pain. You had to put money into a machine to buy a ticket and if you didn't have the exact change you were stuffed; the machine didn't make change. Eventually First put human ticket sellers on the buses because people complained so much about the machines.
The cheapest gas where I live is £1.03.9 a litre now and this time next week it will have risen again .

Oh the bendy buses I know what you mean they dont even fit on the roads, some are used here but most are double deckers or singles.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:52 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,151,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy View Post
The cheapest gas where I live is £1.03.9 a litre now and this time next week it will have risen again .

Oh the bendy buses I know what you mean they dont even fit on the roads, some are used here but most are double deckers or singles.
FTR...that's what they're called, it just came to me.

1.03.9....really? I wonder how many stations have the proper number of spaces to display that price.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:00 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,244,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
FTR...that's what they're called, it just came to me.

1.03.9....really? I wonder how many stations have the proper number of spaces to display that price.

Cost me £1.03 yesterday. Total of £54 for a three quarter tank.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:47 AM

2,885 posts, read 1,986,497 times
I found the public transportation in the UK excellent. I have never driven in the UK and know that I probably missed some lovely areas. But I did extensive research before I went to North Yorkshire and was able to get to every town I wanted to see by bus using tiny Leyburn as a base. Buses came daily and very often. All I took were trains to the big cities, then buses (very scenic, very pleasant way to travel as the elderly locals do). The only instance in which I did not use public transportation was my stay at a farmhouse in the Dales. It was 15 minutes away from Leyburn, so I took a taxi - no problem and not expensive. It's common to use taxis (just a phone call) in the UK to get to the smaller, rural areas. You don't have to go a great distance in a taxi as the buses run to all the neighboring small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London