Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 07:53 AM

30 posts, read 33,911 times

Advertisements

Is Haggerston dangerous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 08:04 AM

5,408 posts, read 3,603,907 times
at night......I assume you mean in the dark? as we say around here always "watch your back", the only people who get attacked are those that don't watch what is going on around them but have their faces glued to their phone screens. its called "situational awareness".
be careful when walking in London both night and day, there has been a spate of stabbings, over 70 in London so far this year alone, knife crime is rife at the moment and there dosent seem to be anything anyone can do about it.

Last edited by bigpaul; 07-04-2018 at 08:41 AM..

Old 07-04-2018, 05:46 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,248,058 times
What's your angle OP? Are you going to be walking around Haggerston Park at night a lot? And why? It's quite a precise location for such a question. London overall is pretty safe as large cities go. The chances of you being stabbed are minimal.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:04 PM

6,046 posts, read 5,959,037 times
Very odd question. London by and large is not an especially dangerous city, but at what hour of night are we talking about? If especially late, well most anywhere in such an environment could pose a danger.

Very late at night, may be suggestive through certain eyes, of certain types of people out and about and others that resent their presence.

Plenty of places to walk in London without late night park soirees though and with minimal danger.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:02 AM

tell that to the 70 odd people who have been attacked in London so far this year-and its only July.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:26 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
tell that to the 70 odd people who have been attacked in London so far this year-and its only July.
70 odd people in a city of 8 million (and that's residents only) and 70 odd people that are 'involved' in one way or another with their attackers. Nowhere on the planet is 100% safe but you will not get randomly stabbed in London and even if you were to get robbed you would be very unlucky.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
70 odd people in a city of 8 million (and that's residents only) and 70 odd people that are 'involved' in one way or another with their attackers. Nowhere on the planet is 100% safe but you will not get randomly stabbed in London and even if you were to get robbed you would be very unlucky.
they weren't all involved with their attackers, at least some were the result of muggings.
i'm glad I don't live in London. and I know people who have stopped their wives going to London because of the crime.

Old 07-05-2018, 02:49 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,032,662 times
Quote:
they weren't all involved with their attackers, at least some were the result of muggings.
i'm glad I don't live in London. and I know people who have stopped their wives going to London because of the crime.
Don't be so ridiculous, London is one of the worlds safest cities, you are just scaremongering. There are 5 million women that aren't scared to wonder around London on a daily basis, many of them children too!

Old 07-05-2018, 02:51 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,185 posts, read 13,469,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AChillDude View Post
Is Haggerston dangerous?
I wouldn't walk around any park in any large city at night, especially if the city is not familiar to you, and Haggerston Park is in Hackney in the traditionally poor East End near Bethnal Green, so is not the best place to walk around the parks at night and never has been.

Then again Haggeston Park closes at around 9.30 in the summer, and as early as 4.30 in the winter months, after which the park gates are locked.

Haggerston Park | Hackney Council

The nearby Victoria Park is a far more impressive park to walk around during the day, and the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park is also nearby and has lots of security if you want somewhere to walk around safely at night, whilst the East End has seen massive redevelopment and regeneration in recent years.

Victoria Park - Tower Hamlets

Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park: Home

As easthome has already pointed out London is quite safe for a city of nearly 9 million.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-05-2018 at 03:19 AM..

Old 07-05-2018, 03:13 AM

6,046 posts, read 5,959,037 times
Quote:
Well I don't see the connection at all. Outside of the UK tabloid press of course and get off stirring up fear and for own publicity reasons.

How many of those victims were the result of gang related crime do you suppose? How many were your average bloke minding his own business out and about?

London is by and large an incredibly safe city, sure a bit of alcohol induced aggro not far away if looking out for it but you'd have to be incredibly unlucky to fall victim to a knife murder.

I know folk living outside London, often rural or in small places look at London with fright and say all sorts of things, not always relevant.

I certainly feel safer in London than in a lot of other cities that I've lived for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London