Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:21 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,193 times

Advertisements

Is there anyway I can tell for sure it's a flip? Sale records show the house sold for 300 something 2 mths ago. Now the house is for sale for double that, and it is empty and NEWLY renovated. Is it safe to assume it's a flip? Is it a bad idea to buy a flip? My gut tells me it is.

I rather not say where the house is, but just that it's in the Town of Huntington.

What other things could be an issue if it is a flip? What about dust/debris/lead paint dust, etc since it was newly renovated? I have a young child so this absolutely concerns me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 10:25 PM

332 posts, read 613,575 times
I do not see any harm in buying a flip, just do your homework, get an inspector in there to check things out before you buy. The inspector can check for lead paint etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Is there anyway I can tell for sure it's a flip? Sale records show the house sold for 300 something 2 mths ago. Now the house is for sale for double that, and it is empty and NEWLY renovated. Is it safe to assume it's a flip? Is it a bad idea to buy a flip? My gut tells me it is.

I rather not say where the house is, but just that it's in the Town of Huntington.

What other things could be an issue if it is a flip? What about dust/debris/lead paint dust, etc since it was newly renovated? I have a young child so this absolutely concerns me.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:32 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Go with your gut.

Some flippers cut corners, some flippers are handy hanks with no formal training, others are professionals and know what they're doing.

You know they are looking to make money when they sell -- the question is how much was sunk into the house in mechanicals, structural, all the stuff you can't see vs how many visible shiny new things they used to dress it up to pull the buyer in.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:46 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
IMHO no one should buy a house without an inspection - old or new, makes no difference.

How much "fixing up" was done? Do you know who did the rehabbing on the house? If you want, I'll try and find out for you.
Could have been a bank owned property that a builder bought and fixed up - better than some "handyman" who doesn't have the same knowledge and/or resources; of course there are always exceptions!

Old 06-14-2010, 04:53 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,539,555 times
Any contractor who is flipping in this market is most likely a very good contractor who does the right thing. In the height of the market, everyone was flipping taking shortcuts and slapping things together.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:01 AM

24,096 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Sounds like a flip to me. There is really nothing inherently wrong with a flip.
As the other poster said - go with your gut.
The inspection will reveal all.
Good luck!

Old 06-14-2010, 07:26 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Go with your gut.

Some flippers cut corners, some flippers are handy hanks with no formal training, others are professionals and know what they're doing.

You know they are looking to make money when they sell -- the question is how much was sunk into the house in mechanicals, structural, all the stuff you can't see vs how many visible shiny new things they used to dress it up to pull the buyer in.
^^^ - this. The inspection will not reveal all, inspectors are not ripping into sheetrock to see what lies beyond - such as is there a mold problem in the bathroom, is there an electrical problem, is there enough insulation, etc.

If you think it's a flip and they cut corners, run away.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:12 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,775,030 times
2 months from sale to sale AND they renovated it? That sounds awfully fast. Just sayin'.

Old 06-14-2010, 08:21 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
2 months from sale to sale AND they renovated it? That sounds awfully fast. Just sayin'.
We bought a house 2 months ago and it took 6 weeks to renovate...and it was a big renovation

Old 06-14-2010, 08:29 AM

87 posts, read 270,374 times
I'm pretty sure I know exactly which house your taking about, and yes it is a flip, quality is hard to determine. ( I hate what they did with it. )

It all depends on how much money you invest in the renovation. In general more money = quicker turn around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: