Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 AM

748 posts, read 2,889,215 times

Advertisements

I winterized the hot-tub late.. and it probably resulted in some freeze damage. The hot tub leaks from somewhere now, and I was quoted exorbitant amounts to fix it ( some more than the cost of the tub), because there is apparently lot of labor involved.

Does any one have any experience in fixing their leaky hot tub?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 10:43 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,142,136 times
I didnt winterize my tub but I was lucky and it was an easy fix. It could be for yourself as well. you need to take off all your panels first on the exterior of the tub and fill the tub with water and look for the wet spots. if you find it, and hopefully it will be on a tube that is within reach, you can easily replace it. for me, it was just a case of tightening a clamp on a pvc pipe. but like I said, locate the leak first.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:07 AM

My tub is a large coleman 5 seater. But it is surrounded by a deck, so I will have to take out the deck planks to one side before I can look for the leak. But I will look for the leak this weekend.

Have you heard of this product.. Seal-a-Leak Spa Leak Sealer 16 oz. ?

Are most pipes on a hot-tub PVC? PVC does not seem very winter-resistant.. why don't they use winter-resistant rubber or something like that?

Old 06-09-2009, 12:00 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
I wish I could help you. Hopefully you have an easy fix like Kenny Guido had.

I have a Coleman which I run year round on LI. It's a lot of fun hot tubbing while it's snowing.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
My tub is a large coleman 5 seater. But it is surrounded by a deck, so I will have to take out the deck planks to one side before I can look for the leak. But I will look for the leak this weekend.

Have you heard of this product.. Seal-a-Leak Spa Leak Sealer 16 oz. ?

Are most pipes on a hot-tub PVC? PVC does not seem very winter-resistant.. why don't they use winter-resistant rubber or something like that?
hmmm....a deck spa is always exposed to the elements. you should be able to find the problem fast when you fill it up and remove the planks. I have a coleman, too. it has panels all around and when you remove the panels, most of the outter tub is wrapped with plenty of "foam" and frankly, if the pipes burst inside of it, I would have had to hack away at it and it would have been a nightmare. I was quite lucky that the leak happened right but the pump and the seal became loose and didnt crack. i think most tubs have pvc. its cheaper for them to manufacture.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I wish I could help you. Hopefully you have an easy fix like Kenny Guido had.

I have a Coleman which I run year round on LI. It's a lot of fun hot tubbing while it's snowing.

i tried telling my wife that but she thinks Im nuts to in during the winter!

Old 06-09-2009, 02:21 PM

I tried in getting in during the winter. Even though the water was warm, the top of my head was freezing.. and I had to get out in 10 minutes.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 PM

20,058 posts, read 20,872,330 times
More than likely it is in the plumbing and not the shell itself.
Like suggested, fill 'er up, turn on the pump and look for water.
Most hot tubs are a combination of flex PVC and rigid PVC pipe.
The rigid, which is usually on the pump and heater unions will be the first to break from freeze damage. Flex PVC has a little more give.

Does it leak running or not? or both?
Many times you can use process of illimination to narrow down the source of the leak.
I'm in the pool/spa business.
Shoot me a pm with as much info as possible and I'll try to help you find it, and, hopefully repair it yourself.

Old 06-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Thanks HotKarl. It leaks running, but I have not tried switching off the tub and checking. Its not possible to shut off the motor if the hot-tub is on, since the filter automatically kicks in and you cannot stop it manually. But that's a good point.. I should just fill the tub when its off to see if the tub still leaks. What does it mean if the tub does / does not leak when switched off?

If the leak is some obscure location, will I have to take the hot-tub out of the deck to fix the leak?

Old 06-10-2009, 06:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,730,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
i tried telling my wife that but she thinks Im nuts to in during the winter!
My friends have an outdoor tub on their deck at their VT ski house. We've all been in there when it's 10 degrees out, drinking wine and chatting. as the snow fell around us. Getting out you're so warm that you're giving off steam.

That VT hot tub is a Coleman. We figured if it can handle VT winters, LI wouldn't be an issue -- so we bought one. It's been 10 years and still works well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island