Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:41 PM

18 posts, read 32,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs_spotter View Post
I'm generally a happy person so I'm always happy. This exchange isn't about winning or losing. I'm simply not going to let you post that NYers are this breed of nasty people moreso than people anywhere else. I understand your local economy has taken a beating lately, but bashing LI and the NYc region is no way to restore the economy. If your area was as desirable as you've been posting it is on this website, I'm sure there won't be any issue with the economic recovery.

By the way, The Woodlands, Texas is actually doing pretty well in this downturn. Much better than LI in fact. Having a major city and a decent local economy helps.
I apologize if I came across too strong. And you are right. It is not about winning or losing. It's just that I can relate to all those on LI that feel that people are pretentious and unpleasant. I was the SAME WAY and DIDN'T EVEN know it until someone from Ohio pointed it out to me. I don't mean to bash LI but I want others to know that there are so many pretty places in the country to live w/ kind people and beautiful landscapes. And many LI'ers are kind and sweet but not UNTIL you get to know them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:45 PM

29 posts, read 41,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22cedars View Post
And many LI'ers are kind and sweet but not UNTIL you get to know them.
Great point.

Old 07-17-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs_spotter View Post
Great point.

O.K. Now let's kiss and make up friend....

Old 07-17-2010, 09:21 PM

www.michigan.org

Old 07-18-2010, 02:40 PM

453 posts, read 457,284 times
There are several places you can move away from Long Island. I dreaded it when I lived there during the early 90's because it was bonechilling cold, and the people there were super rude. They don't like outsiders very much, but I was stuck there as I was in middle school. I couldn't get away fast enough. Once I moved out west, I vowed to never ever go anywhere back east again for as long as I live. Might I suggest you look to somewhere in the Pacific Northwest? The scenery there is incredible, and it's a pretty accepting place.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daugenstine View Post
There are several places you can move away from Long Island. I dreaded it when I lived there during the early 90's because it was bonechilling cold, and the people there were super rude. They don't like outsiders very much, but I was stuck there as I was in middle school. I couldn't get away fast enough. Once I moved out west, I vowed to never ever go anywhere back east again for as long as I live. Might I suggest you look to somewhere in the Pacific Northwest? The scenery there is incredible, and it's a pretty accepting place.
Sorry for your experience. "Bonechilling cold"? Yes, it gets cold but I would guess that a good % of the US gets colder. We dont "like outsiders much"? You are condeming LI based on your experience in middle school in one town?

This thread gets more silly every time I check back. Transfer into any town in America in middle school and there is a good chance you might not fit in.

Of course there are nice places other than LI but I find it funny when people try to take their limited experience (with anything) and apply it to all situations now applicable to everyone.

Old 07-18-2010, 02:59 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22cedars View Post
HAHAHA Was that a dig??? That's ok beacuse all the money we save in real estate taxes, we'll go out for lobster instead.
Nah, its 100% the truth. Best pizzas outside of NY are usually those two places. Most local joints are pretty horrid, taste like Elios or something.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:20 PM

791 posts, read 1,433,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
You are condeming LI based on your experience in middle school in one town?

Astute, though...he is perfectly right.

One thing and another kept me in vile Nassau County for too many years. There are nice people there, as everywhere, but it is very much not to my taste and I'd rather live in Podunk Ohio.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:44 PM

401 posts, read 944,346 times
I moved here from Maryland in 2004. I must say that there was a preconceived notion about New Yorkers before coming here. I could not have been more wrong. I meet several people per week on LI, and 99% of them are very pleasant,decent people. I think the misnomer about New Yorkers comes from the busy streets of NY where people don't have time for you. I, personally, have been very pleased with the residents of Long Island.

Old 07-28-2010, 07:55 AM

206 posts, read 573,593 times
I was researching and ended up with either Wilmington NC (which is near the beach)
Or inland in NC, whats called the Triangle...I think it includes Cary which was listed as one of the top places to live. I need to be near the water though, even though I don't have a boat LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island