Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:54 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,570 times

Advertisements

Great to hear about the greediness of the agents. Come on pay them more and they really will try to sell your house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 07:20 PM

138 posts, read 600,779 times
Default I'm sellling my home too

and my first realtor did the same put us on MLS and hardly advertised.. GEE if he would have sold our home and received a large percentage.. well I would have been aggravated even more.

We listed with a new agent and they are doing a better job, but I still believe it's all about location and pricing the house correctly.

That is what it's like in the market today and unfortunately a few years ago my house would have sold much quicker for much more money.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,450 times
Default Thats ridiculous.

I am a Hong Kong Realtor and i find this absolutely ridiculous we charge 1% from both parties, this is a fair commission considering the amount of work required to win over Chinese landlords and even then they don't want to pay commission. The amount of buyers/tenants i get from NYC who ask if the commission was really that much and "whats the catch".

Agents should not be taking 4% of the sale price all they would have to do is sell it the same property 5 times and they would have received 20% of its worth.

Charles King [url=http://www.headlandhomes.hk]Headland Homes - Property Agency in Hong Kong[/url]

Old 06-08-2012, 03:45 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellmyhouse View Post
I am now in the market for a new agent (Halleluyah!) I am selling a 1 bedroom co-op apartment. What is the average commission rate? How much negotiation is there? Does anyone have any strategies?
Heres a strategy offer them 7% . offer them more not less.

you want them showing your house as ofton as they can not the guy down the blocks.

we did it on our house we are selling in the poconos and went to contract this week.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:37 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
We are paying 5% with one broker who sold two homes for us. One had an offer in 15 days!!. A commercial property we have is 6%.

i still think its way too much.

Old 06-08-2012, 06:58 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY652 View Post
That's what I want to hear ! More FSBO's ! Yes - we ARE capable of doing this on our own.
On the selling side, if you are willing to field phone calls and be available at any hour of the day for people who may or may not even show, and are a good negotiator and know what to say and what not to say, then sure you can do it on your own. People thought the buying side was easy without a realtor but if your only free time is on a weekend, it's not easy trying to line up 5+ qualifying houses to see on Saturday and Sunday all in a row so no time is wasted - for weeks on end. Realtors do help you out a lot.

To answer the question, it was 2% on each side when we sold/bought 2 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: