Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 08:21 PM

170 posts, read 878,400 times

Advertisements

I would like some info about this tax. I understand that it can be quite costly and also not tax deductable. Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Fallgirl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 10:29 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,585 times
It is a 2% tax of the final closing price that the buyer must pay at closing - it can be hefty - here is what I found I sold a house out there and was shocked at first I thought I paid it yikes. But it is the buyer who pays -

I think this applies
  1. CPF (Peconic Region) Tax: At closing the buyer pays 2% on the value of all improved residential property over $250,000 (ie: On $1,000,000 purchase, the buyer pays $15,000 to The Community Preservation Fund, Peconic Region.)
  2. CPF (Peconic Region): At closing the buyer pays 2% on the value of all unimproved property [vacant land] over $150,000 (ie: On $500,000 purchase, the buyer pays $7,000 to The Community Preservation Fund, Peconic Region.)
I think this PDF explains it

http://www.peconiclandtrust.org/pdf/cpf.pdf

Old 06-25-2007, 10:43 AM

Red face Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
It is a 2% tax of the final closing price that the buyer must pay at closing - it can be hefty - here is what I found I sold a house out there and was shocked at first I thought I paid it yikes. But it is the buyer who pays -

I think this applies
  1. CPF (Peconic Region) Tax: At closing the buyer pays 2% on the value of all improved residential property over $250,000 (ie: On $1,000,000 purchase, the buyer pays $15,000 to The Community Preservation Fund, Peconic Region.)
  2. CPF (Peconic Region): At closing the buyer pays 2% on the value of all unimproved property [vacant land] over $150,000 (ie: On $500,000 purchase, the buyer pays $7,000 to The Community Preservation Fund, Peconic Region.)
I think this PDF explains it

http://www.peconiclandtrust.org/pdf/cpf.pdf

Thanks for your quick reply and link. I guess this is just another added expense of living on LI. I read that it is also to protect the land. Funny I was on LI last week and read in Newsday that someone is trying to build a 700 and something acre amusement park in Riverhead. What happened to the money from the preservation fund to stop that? Hopefully that will not happen.

Thanks again,
Fallgirl

Old 06-26-2007, 04:54 PM

110 posts, read 777,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallgirl View Post
I read that it is also to protect the land. Funny I was on LI last week and read in Newsday that someone is trying to build a 700 and something acre amusement park in Riverhead. What happened to the money from the preservation fund to stop that?
Yes, the money from this special transfer tax goes to the Peconic Land Trust which uses it to buy land to protect it from development. It only applies to houses that are in the five East End townships though.

That Riverhead thing concerns land that was/is owned by Grumman Aerospace for their R&D facility. It's actually in Calverton but its in the Town of Riverhead. The Peconic Land Trust may have tried to buy it but probably couldn't afford it because the acreage is so huge. There are 2 developers that are interested in it and both of them have deep pockets so I wouldn't be surprised if the Land Trust got "outbid". The developer from the UK (Scotland?) is the one who wants to build the resort area. The other developer I think is Reckson Associates (a LI firm) and they want it mixed-use residental and recreational. But no one has bought the property yet, it's still in the talking stages with the town.

IMHO nothing will end up happening with the land in the end. It'll just sit empty as its been doing since Grumman went out of business some 10-plus years ago.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:39 PM

Default That's a good thing !

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdrgal View Post
Yes, the money from this special transfer tax goes to the Peconic Land Trust which uses it to buy land to protect it from development. It only applies to houses that are in the five East End townships though.

That Riverhead thing concerns land that was/is owned by Grumman Aerospace for their R&D facility. It's actually in Calverton but its in the Town of Riverhead. The Peconic Land Trust may have tried to buy it but probably couldn't afford it because the acreage is so huge. There are 2 developers that are interested in it and both of them have deep pockets so I wouldn't be surprised if the Land Trust got "outbid". The developer from the UK (Scotland?) is the one who wants to build the resort area. The other developer I think is Reckson Associates (a LI firm) and they want it mixed-use residental and recreational. But no one has bought the property yet, it's still in the talking stages with the town.

IMHO nothing will end up happening with the land in the end. It'll just sit empty as its been doing since Grumman went out of business some 10-plus years ago.
Happy to hear that. Too much of the east end is being developed. I nearly died when I found out that the restaurant at Jones Beach was knocked down, and that they are thinking of selling the Sands Beach Club to developers to build luxury high rise condos. What else are they going to do to screw up the remaining beauty of Long Island !

Thanks for your response,
Fallgirl

Old 06-27-2007, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallgirl View Post
Happy to hear that. Too much of the east end is being developed. I nearly died when I found out that the restaurant at Jones Beach was knocked down, and that they are thinking of selling the Sands Beach Club to developers to build luxury high rise condos. What else are they going to do to screw up the remaining beauty of Long Island !

Thanks for your response,
Fallgirl
Well I am not sure of this is going through but:

Winergy Power - Plum Island (http://www.winergyllc.com/projects_pi_faq.htm - broken link)

I guess its better than inventing a better west nile virus and letting it go.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Well I am not sure of this is going through but:

Winergy Power - Plum Island (http://www.winergyllc.com/projects_pi_faq.htm - broken link)

I guess its better than inventing a better west nile virus and letting it go.
Thanks for the info. I guess that I would rather look at that than smoke stacks from a nuclear power plant !!!

Fallgirl

Old 06-27-2007, 04:16 PM

Too bad the North Fork has realized its full potential (cough NorthFork Hampton) in a very good way, and at the same time lost its original character... But even 30 years ago when the potato bug came I knew that development was the only thing that could save the North Fork - people discovering it - why I moved

And I am glad the North Fork shines now...

Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 AM

1 posts, read 14,205 times
This tax is not used by the Peconic Land Trust which is supported by Charitable contributions. This tax is given to a group of citizens, a supposedly "bipartisan" advisory committee, who support candidates from the region who support their agenda.

Old 01-14-2012, 12:09 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshe View Post
This tax is not used by the Peconic Land Trust which is supported by Charitable contributions.
Well, you're partially right. Here's what really happens:
Quote:
Approximately 60% of the Trust's budget comes from charitable donations while the remaining 40% is fee income from planning and stewardship services provided to clients. A common misperception, however, is that the Peconic Land Trust is the recipient of the monies raised through the Community Preservation Tax (also referred to as the 2% land transfer tax or the Peconic Land Tax). This is NOT the case. The CPF tax is collected by Suffolk County and then redistributed to the five East End towns, the distribution of which is based on the location of the property from which the tax is acquired. While the Trust often works with local municipalities to facilitate land conservation purchase transations, the only monies the Trust receives is in conjunction with actual services provided (e.g., stewardship programs).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island