Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2016, 07:42 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times

Advertisements

Any fans?

Seems the push for this is back on now that Sheldon Silver is out of the picture.
Evidently he was one of the biggest hurdles to making this happen.
So now it's back on the table.
I think it would be a great move for the east end. It has held an overwhelming majority of support from the residents. I hope they can get it through this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2016, 09:11 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
First I'm hearing about it.

Old 02-06-2016, 09:20 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,855,965 times
It's not national headline news but the local east end rags have had a few recent pieces on it.
I guess since Silver is out of the picture there is a renewed interest in maybe giving it another shot.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:31 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,753,405 times
I guess. Suffolk is really big and the east end (east of William Floyd) really does stay quite rural and have it's own identity.

Why the name peconic, though? Doesn't the actual hamlet of peconic only have like 6 people living in it? Lol.

Old 02-06-2016, 05:48 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,908,099 times
Lol, then the new Suffolk County will now be the dump of Long Island. Too far to be convenient to NYC and too close to have a rural New England charm.. Just plain unimpressive suburbia with ageing postwar tract houses slowly being taken over by illegals and heroin addicts

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 02-06-2016 at 06:01 PM..

Old 02-06-2016, 07:46 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,890,258 times
/\ and a heavy concentration of Donald Trump supporters.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Lol, then the new Suffolk County will now be the dump of Long Island. Too far to be convenient to NYC and too close to have a rural New England charm.. Just plain unimpressive suburbia with ageing postwar tract houses slowly being taken over by illegals and heroin addicts
You are easily one of the most miserable people on this forum. Are you married?

Old 02-06-2016, 08:15 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Perhaps a bit pessimistic but definitely not a great situation. Nassau will be for NYC commuters and Peconic for the Hamptons. Suffolk will struggle.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:25 PM

258 posts, read 456,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Perhaps a bit pessimistic but definitely not a great situation. Nassau will be for NYC commuters and Peconic for the Hamptons. Suffolk will struggle.
Honestly, he has a great point. To narrow in even more, if Suffolk splits, Huntington, Smithtown, Babylon, and Islip are still towns you can commute to NYC from. The only area I could see having problems is Brookhaven. Everything between Ronkonkoma and Riverhead is just kind of...there. There's nothing truly special about Brookhaven, except maybe Stony Brook. It certainly is not commutable to NYC, either. It's just working and lower class suburbia, with a lot of areas that are truly struggling.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
Honestly, he has a great point. To narrow in even more, if Suffolk splits, Huntington, Smithtown, Babylon, and Islip are still towns you can commute to NYC from. The only area I could see having problems is Brookhaven. Everything between Ronkonkoma and Riverhead is just kind of...there. There's nothing truly special about Brookhaven, except maybe Stony Brook. It certainly is not commutable to NYC, either. It's just working and lower class suburbia, with a lot of areas that are truly struggling.
Probably the most idiotic thing I've seen on here. You're aware that Ronkonkoma (Town of Islip) is primarily Town of Brookhaven residents, yeah? Easily one of the most stupid comments I've ever seen on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island