Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 07:56 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,667 times

Advertisements

they're really isn't anything wrong with veneers, nice furnature has been made out of them for many many years. However, the places you listed in your post aren't really known for high quality furnature.

If you're looking to spend money on furnature, Ethan Allen, Classic home gallaries (framingdale and greatneck) and I'm sure a bunch of others including those mentioned are good.

Not that there is really anything particularly wrong with your store list, as long as you know what you're buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 07:25 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
they're really isn't anything wrong with veneers, nice furnature has been made out of them for many many years. However, the places you listed in your post aren't really known for high quality furnature.

If you're looking to spend money on furnature, Ethan Allen, Classic home gallaries (framingdale and greatneck) and I'm sure a bunch of others including those mentioned are good.

Not that there is really anything particularly wrong with your store list, as long as you know what you're buying.
Veneers have their place in decorative pieces using exotic woods. Oak is not exotic. For everyday use solid is the only way to go. Worse comes to worse and it gets scratched I sand down the place, match stains, and in a day of drying its like new. Veneers scratch, tear, and delaminate.

I looked in Ethan Allen.. crap IMHO, unless you live in a museum where nothing gets touched or moved. Heavy use of veneers of plywood/fiberboard. Poor seams. For the price I'd rather get a more rugged set that will last the test of time vs. a piece that I'll have to walk on eggshells next to. Pieces look pretty, but not much else.

Old 12-18-2014, 11:54 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Kind of a far drive for LIers. There stuff is solid real wood from VT & its like the real furniture quality that is like the old days. Its not cheap but will last generations

Pompanoosuc Mills - Fine Hardwood Furniture Handmade in Vermont
Ressurecting an old thread, but just got an offerr accepted for a house and need new solid wood furniture.

Anyone have Pompanoosuc furniture care to comment on quality?

They have a showroom in nyc that I will visit.

Old 12-18-2014, 02:51 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Restoreation outlet in queens

Old 12-18-2014, 03:59 PM

655 posts, read 1,060,757 times
I recommend Stickley.

STICKLEY - Collector Quality Furniture Since 1900

I see you are willing to travel to NYC (wise choice) and they have a nice showroom not too far from Penn Station.

Old 12-18-2014, 07:18 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Thomasville and Bloomingdales furniture

Old 12-19-2014, 04:38 AM

201 posts, read 333,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
My wife and I need a new bedroom set, but I'm a stickler for quality. A lot of the bedroom sets we looked at are just veneers over plywood or cheap junk pine. We even saw a set that was almost 10K and it was just oak veneers! Bobs Discount had a nice mohagany set, but we want to look at more places.

So far:
Rooms Unlim
Bobs Discount Furniture
Raymore and Flanagan
Ashley
Macy's Home Store
JC Penny Home Store

Any suggestions appreciated.
about 15 years ago I let my wife talk me into purchasing a thomasville bedroom set. It ran about 15k. one of the worst wastes of money I've ever spent. I gave my original set, wich I bought years ago at seamans to one of my brothers who still has it. I realize the stores selling furniture now are quite different from seamans and levitz. I think Macy's might be your best bet if you can catch a sale. Bob's is junk. Good luck

Old 12-19-2014, 05:51 AM

Isn't Restoration Hardware all made in china now?

Old 12-19-2014, 05:52 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
Pizza Stop in Ronkonkoma is probably the best pizza in the area.

I can do irrelevant comments too!

Old 12-19-2014, 05:56 AM

tvr, thanks for the Stickley suggestion. I'm looking for that level of furniture, where I don't have to replace every few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island