Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 05:52 AM

78 posts, read 253,002 times

Advertisements

How can I get my neighbor's tenant to move out?

Tenant has been renting this (illegal) apartment for about six months. All seemed fine for a few weeks...but no longer! The cops have been here at least twice a week throughout the summer, for various reasons...mainly arguements between tenant and LL. Tenant has not paid rent for three months. She has moved her brother in to the apartment with her a few weeks ago, he was just arrested yesterday for outstanding warrants. Found out he is also a sex offender. LL has confirmed tenant is a drug addict, has many unsavory characters in and out of the apartment.

Not sure how LL found out, but he now knows his tenant and her brother have pulled this nonsense before...move into an apartment, stop paying rent, wait it out for a few months til forced out, damage the apartment and then do it all over again somewhere else.

As a neighboring homeowner and parent of young children, I am genuinely concerned. I hear stories of how the law favors tenants, and it is difficult to get someone out of your home. Is there anything I can do to help get these people out of our neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 08:01 AM

69 posts, read 158,380 times
Nothing legally.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:20 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,708,977 times
What would be the worst thing that can happen to a landlord if they locked out such a tenant? I doubt the courts could force a two-family homeowner to open their house up again to a delinquent tenant.

I hear all about these legal evictions taking forever but has anyone heard of the consequences of an "illegal" eviction?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:44 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
If it is an illegal apt, you could report it to the town. I wouldnt suggest that because it happened to me ; but the neighbour who reported it, didnt know that I was using the basement for my own use. He just saw people moving furniture into the basement. So I wasnt guilty of anything ; the town guy even said that.

Otherwise if the ll goes thru the court system ; it could take months before the tenant can be out.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:35 AM

244 posts, read 540,574 times
Has your neighbor actually told her to leave yet? Is there a lease? Being illegal, I doubt it, but I know people still do it anyway.

If it were me, I'd at least try to bring her to small claims court for the past rent, and say "if you move out now, I'll drop the case". There's always a way to deal with unsavory types. Legally. Of course, you can LIE to them and see what happens. LYING is not illegal

Old 08-31-2010, 10:39 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,344,860 times
Use the original point and click interface.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:00 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,976,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Use the original point and click interface.
Good luck in NY.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:15 PM

311 posts, read 1,020,141 times
I would assume that you are friends with the LL, because you know that the tenants are late on the rent.

The ONLY thing you could do is call the town and report the illegal apartment. Now, if you are friends with the LL, you may not want to do this, in which case you really have no viable alternatives.

Sounds like people I had living downstairs from us last year. A complete nightmare, just the worst people. Drugs, drinking, loud fights, cops coming to arrest on outstanding warrants, parties....it was hell. We bought a house in April and couldn't be happier...but those 6 months they were beneath us was a living hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island