Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:48 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Just for anybody's that's curious here's a list of SOME of the majority black areas with median household incomes well above their state averages and where the majority of people are middle class and above. Not saying these areas are perfect but i'm just wondering why you never hear about these places in the news! )

MAJORITY MIDDLE AND UPPER CLASS BLACK LONG ISLAND AND UPSTATE TOWNS

- Lakeview, NY: This town has a median household income of $90,530 (as of 2008) and is 83.4% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Lakeview-New-York.html

- Wheatley Heights, NY: This town has a median income of $98,387 (as of 2008) and is 48.6% Black (so they are the majority race because all the other races makeup smaller percentages of the population)
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Wheatl...-New-York.html

- Hillcrest, NY: This town has a median household income of $86,516 (as of 2008) and is 49% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Hillcrest-New-York.html

- South Floral Park, NY: This town has a median household income of $84,931 (as of 2008) and is 57.9% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/South-...-New-York.html

- Elmont, NY: This town has a median household income of $82,690 (as of 2008) and is 42% Black, which puts them well into the majority in comparison to the other groups' present there.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Elmont-New-York.html

(Very Diverse Long Island and Upstate towns where Blacks are not the majority but still have a significant presence are, North Valley Stream [36.1% Black], Baldwin [30.3%],

MAJORITY MIDDLE AND UPPER CLASS BLACK NEW YORK CITY NEIGHBORHOODS

- Cambria Heights, NYC: This neighborhood has a median household income of $74,070 (as of 2008) and is around 80% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...illage-NY.html

- Laurelton, NYC: This neighborhoods has a median household income of $80,927 (as of 2008) and is around 80% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ardens-NY.html

- Brookville, NYC: This neighborhood has a median household income of $72,953 (as of 2008) and is around 80% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ardens-NY.html

- Rosedale, NYC: This neighborhood has a median household income of $76,527 (as of 2008) and is around 60% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...sedale-NY.html

[$56,033; New York State Average]

MAJORITY MIDDLE CLASS BLACK NEW JERSEY TOWNS

- Englewood, NJ: This town has a median household income of $73,698 (as of 2008) and is 37.9% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Englewood-New-Jersey.html

(Very Diverse New Jersey towns where Blacks are NOT the majority but still have as significant presence are; Hackensack, NJ [24.3% Black/$62,257 Median Income], Teaneck, NJ [28.8%/$94,558], South Orange, NJ [30.4%/$102,514], West Orange, NJ [22.2%/$84,911], Montclair, NJ [26.5%/$91,826], Maplewood, NJ [32.9%/$97,641]

MAJORITY MIDDLE AND UPPER CLASS BLACK CALIFORNIA TOWNS

- Ladera Heights, CA: This neighborhood has a median income of $118,700 and is 70.1% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Ladera...alifornia.html

- View Park-Windsor Hills, CA: This neighborhood has a median income of $76,158 and is 87.2% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/View-P...alifornia.html

- Baldwin Hills, CA:

(California State average= $61,021)

MAJORITY MIDDLE CLASS BLACK MICHIGAN TOWNS

- Lathrup Village, MI: This town has a median income of $97,397 and is 49.7% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Lathru...-Michigan.html

- Indian Village, MI: This town has a median income of $57,473 and is 70% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...etroit-MI.html

(Michigan State average= $48, 591)

MAJORITY MIDDLE AND UPPER CLASS BLACK D.C. AREA TOWNS

*** PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY, MARYLAND
- Kettering, MD: This town has a median income of $102,830 and is 90.3% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Kettering-Maryland.html

- Woodmore, MD: This town has a median income of $127,038 and is 64.5% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Woodmore-Maryland.html

- Lanham-Seabrook, MD: This town has a median income of $79,055 and is 62.3% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Lanham...-Maryland.html

- Rosaryville, MD: This town has a median income of $104,110 and is 59.2% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Rosaryville-Maryland.html

- Fort Washington, MD: This town has a median income of $106,020 and is 63.7% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Fort-W...-Maryland.html

- Springdale, MD: This town has a median income of $107,540 and is 91.9% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Springdale-Maryland.html

- Friendly, MD: This town has a median income of $104,762 and is 77% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Friendly-Maryland.html

- Mitchellville/Lake Arbor, MD: This town has a median income of $110,604 and is 78% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Mitche...-Maryland.html

- Clinton, MD: This town has a median income of $92,910 and is 79.6% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Clinton-Maryland.html

- Marlton, Maryland: This town has a median income of $96,442 and is 55.3% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Marlton-Maryland.html

- Greater Upper Marlboro, MD: This town has a median income of $95,347 and is 74.9% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Greate...-Maryland.html

- Camp Springs, MD: This town has a median income of $90,601 and is 73.9% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Camp-S...-Maryland.html

- Glenn Dale, MD: This town has a median income of $105,594 and is 47.7% Black (they are still the largest population segment in this town).
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Glenn-Dale-Maryland.html

- Cheverly, MD: This town has a median income of $85,455 and is 56.4% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Cheverly-Maryland.html

(Maryland State average= $70,545)

OTHER
- Olympia Fields, IL: This town has a median income of $112,710 and is 51.7% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Olympi...-Illinois.html
(Illinois State average= $56,235)

- Forest Park, OK: This town has a median income of $69,476 and is 72.1% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Forest-Park-Oklahoma.html
(Oklahoma State average= $48,822)

- Cascade Heights, Atlanta, Georgia
- Sandtown, Atlanta, Georgia
- Collier Heights, Atlanta, Georgia

So.. Tell me how often you hear about these towns in the news? You hear about Compton, Harlem, South Bronx but not about the above. Wonder why?

Kudos and reps points to you for postings the data on these towns. Even though I'm aware or have actually been to many of these towns ( very good friend in Atlanta) but the flaw of many of my posts is not postings the links. When I first drove through Cascade Heights it remided me of Laurel Hollow meets Todt Hill. Some really striking mansions. Anyone who has truly traveled this country will realize you can't generalize the living standards of an entire ethnic group based on what you see in the media or the few neighborhoods one may have visited.
Another city people should visit to see how diversity can be an attribute is Toronto. It's diversity at its best. Kreutz, lots of non-whites live here so what derogatory name do you have for this city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 06:50 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,831,761 times
All I know is, if I move on your block, property values plummet...watch out!

Old 10-09-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Oh no, its 56% white, that doesn't count. I want awesome towns that are 56% black. You're cheating.

Long Island person did all the leg work for me. Check out his post. Thanks LIP!

Last edited by 1nevets; 10-09-2010 at 07:18 PM..

Old 10-09-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
all i know is, if i move on your block, property values plummet...watch out!

roflmao!

Old 10-09-2010, 07:33 PM

Quote:
That is correct. Once a town tips past 50% non-white it goes downhill real damned fast(perhaps 1nevets will extol the virtues of Camden, Newark, Detroit, Oakland, Gary, New Orleans, etc next?), and once you get to a point of mullet saturation and the smoking pregnant white trash a similar effect is observed. See Mastic Beach or the entire state of West Virginia for example.

New Orleans is an amazing and fun city. I go there every winter when Southwest offers a nice price on flights and to help build back its economy after Katrina. I love the Creole and Cajun culture, food, language, the most unique housing found in the states and need I mention its history. It's the only large American city that created a well to do "3rd race." If you are too afraid to visit this city because it's a black majority city. Read some books on it, they will enlighten your small mind.

I'm not going to go into Oakland, so much on that city as well. Have you seen the homes and estates on the hills in Oakland? I would die to own a home there overlooking the Bay Bridge and San Franscisco. Unfortunately, all I can afford is Wading River.

You claim to travel why can't you see the beauty of a place? I went to Mumbai and yes there is some awful poverty there but what stood out for me were the people themselves and what a great cultural tapestry they have offered to this world.

Last edited by 1nevets; 10-09-2010 at 07:58 PM..

Old 10-09-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
That is correct. and once you get to a point of mullet saturation and the smoking pregnant white trash a similar effect is observed.

Reminds me of my last visit to Deer Park Ave. or should I say Junk Food Ave. in Deer Park? That town reminds me of a more urban Mastic.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:22 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Reminds me of my last visit to Deer Park Ave. or should I say Junk Food Ave. in Deer Park? That town reminds me of a more urban Mastic.
im back, oh yeah, and Deer Park Avenue in Deer Park/North Babylon is definitely Junk Food Avenue! LOL, theres so many fast food restaurants in such a small area its ridiculous!! I'm surprised i wasnt fat because back in high school for lunch break that's all i ate!

My teacher once said that that area had the highest concentration of fast food restaurants in the planet and made the guiness book of world records, lol, can anybody confirm that?

Old 10-09-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
im back, oh yeah, and Deer Park Avenue in Deer Park/North Babylon is definitely Junk Food Avenue! LOL, theres so many fast food restaurants in such a small area its ridiculous!! I'm surprised i wasnt fat because back in high school for lunch break that's all i ate!

My teacher once said that that area had the highest concentration of fast food restaurants in the planet and made the guiness book of world records, lol, can anybody confirm that?

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm pissed btw, they won't let me give you rep points for one your post. Says I have to spread the wealth. Stop writing great posts! JK

Old 10-09-2010, 08:44 PM

228 posts, read 810,095 times
Quote:
New Orleans is an amazing and fun city. I go there every winter when Southwest offers a nice price on flights and to help build back its economy after Katrina. I love the Creole and Cajun culture, food, language, the most unique housing found in the states and need I mention its history. It's the only large American city that created a well to do "3rd race." If you are too afraid to visit this city because it's a black majority city. Read some books on it, they will enlighten your small mind.

I'm not going to go into Oakland, so much on that city as well. Have you seen the homes and estates on the hills in Oakland? I would die to own a home there overlooking the Bay Bridge and San Franscisco. Unfortunately, all I can afford is Wading River.

You claim to travel why can't you see the beauty of a place? I went to Mumbai and yes there is some awful poverty there but what stood out for me were the people themselves and what a great cultural tapestry they have offered to this world.
I cant give you rep points either but props...

Old 10-09-2010, 08:46 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,264 times
Quote:
Wouldn't surprise me. I'm pissed btw, they won't let me give you rep points for one your post. Says I have to spread the wealth. Stop writing great posts! JK
That's ok. As long as more people get educated and some stereotypes are shattered than my time on city-data is worthwhile!! LOL, I just don't want to hear that there are no decent black neighborhoods anymore because i'm not afraid to right click and get my copy and pasting on and flood the page again! Aint nobody playin!!lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island