Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 10:59 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
Though I understand everyone's frustration here but truly is it your business that this guy is breaking the law? If he is your neighbor and has little regard for DMV law what else illegal does he do?There is an old saying: "Snitches get stitches or end up in ditches." Just be careful.
totally agree with you big blue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 11:49 AM

41 posts, read 178,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
They're committing insurance fraud.
Sorry, but they are not committing insurance fraud.

Sounds like we can assume one of the Integras is insured and registered, and the pair of number plates matches the registration.

Once they take one of the number plates off of the "proper" car, the only infraction they are committing with that vehicle is failure to display both number plates. The police are not going to do anything about that unless the vehicle is parked or being operated on a public road.

As for Integra #2, driving an uninsured and unregistered vehicle is obviously not permitted. There is nothing wrong with having an uninsured and unregistered vehicle on your property, but you may not operate it on public roads. You can drive it around your back yard all you want, however.

They are only commiting a crime when they drive the uninsured and unregistered vehicle on public roads. They are also improperly displaying a number plate on Integra #2.

It is unlikely that their scheme will be discovered during a normal traffic stop. Police officers do not typically verify that the VIN number of the stopped vehicle matches the registration. It is permissible to have a photocopy of an insurance card and/or registration and to present them when requested to law enforcement. If the people in question have duplicate documents in both cars, and both vehicles are the same make and model (which they are), who is to know any better?...unless a neighbor or person notices that two vehicles have the same number plate displayed.

Registered auto dealers in New York are issued special number plates with the text "Dealer" below the numbers. These number plates have all digits on them and the first digit is typically an 8. They will also have month & year validation stickers on them. Dealer plates may be displayed on any vehicle owned by the dealership - they are used for test drives, demonstrations, and transporting vehicles. Car dealers are requred to have liability insurance to obtain Dealer number plates - the liability insurance covers whatever vehicle the number plate is displayed on at any given time. Dealer number plates are not issued in pairs and each plate will have different digits.

If the vehicles in question are not displaying dealer number plates and they are in fact the same number plate on both cars, and they are operating both vehicles on public roads, then go ahead and call the police. I hate to snitch but I don't think that their plate sharing "scheme" will be noticed by law enforcement without your tip. If they already have insurance on Integra #1, the cost to add a 2nd vehicle to the existing policy is much less than for the first vehicle. Something's up - maybe they don't own or have the title for Integra #2? Again, I hate to snitch, but it seems justified in this case.

Uninsured vehicles belong in driveways and garages. It's OK to put a random old plate on it to keep a nosy neighbor off your back about derelict vehicles on your property. It's NOT OK to drive on public roads without liability insurance, registration, and proper number plates.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:54 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metal workshop View Post

Sounds like we can assume one of the Integras is insured and registered, and the pair of number plates matches the registration.

Once they take one of the number plates off of the "proper" car, the only infraction they are committing with that vehicle is failure to display both number plates. The police are not going to do anything about that unless the vehicle is parked or being operated on a public road.

As for Integra #2, driving an uninsured and unregistered vehicle is obviously not permitted. There is nothing wrong with having an uninsured and unregistered vehicle on your property, but you may not operate it on public roads. You can drive it around your back yard all you want, however.

They are only commiting a crime when they drive the uninsured and unregistered vehicle on public roads. They are also improperly displaying a number plate on Integra #2.

It is unlikely that their scheme will be discovered during a normal traffic stop. Police officers do not typically verify that the VIN number of the stopped vehicle matches the registration. It is permissible to have a photocopy of an insurance card and/or registration and to present them when requested to law enforcement. If the people in question have duplicate documents in both cars, and both vehicles are the same make and model (which they are), who is to know any better?...unless a neighbor or person notices that two vehicles have the same number plate displayed.

Registered auto dealers in New York are issued special number plates with the text "Dealer" below the numbers. These number plates have all digits on them and the first digit is typically an 8. They will also have month & year validation stickers on them. Dealer plates may be displayed on any vehicle owned by the dealership - they are used for test drives, demonstrations, and transporting vehicles. Car dealers are requred to have liability insurance to obtain Dealer number plates - the liability insurance covers whatever vehicle the number plate is displayed on at any given time. Dealer number plates are not issued in pairs and each plate will have different digits.

If the vehicles in question are not displaying dealer number plates and they are in fact the same number plate on both cars, and they are operating both vehicles on public roads, then go ahead and call the police. I hate to snitch but I don't think that their plate sharing "scheme" will be noticed by law enforcement without your tip. If they already have insurance on Integra #1, the cost to add a 2nd vehicle to the existing policy is much less than for the first vehicle. Something's up - maybe they don't own or have the title for Integra #2? Again, I hate to snitch, but it seems justified in this case.

Uninsured vehicles belong in driveways and garages. It's OK to put a random old plate on it to keep a nosy neighbor off your back about derelict vehicles on your property. It's NOT OK to drive on public roads without liability insurance, registration, and proper number plates.
Not only might it not be noticed, it's not a horrible horrible crime. I once had my credit card stolen and a video from the store of the guy using my car, his face visible clear as day and everything. I bought it to the police station and filed a report. The cops didn't do anything about it, b/c in the scheme of things people's houses are being broken into and people are being killed and those crimes are much more serious than mine or the fact that 2 people are sahring one license plate.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:16 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with having an uninsured and unregistered vehicle on your property,

Does NY law allow for this? Down here an un-registered vehicle is prohibited in the driveway, front area. You must have plates and uninsured moterist insurance (minimum) on it. I'm sure most let it lapse...lol. If you go to re-register it you have to confirm that you have a valid policy.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:

I wouldn't assume anything

Are you kidding? Ride around with one plate is an automatic VIN check Not only window, door, and hood 98 % of cops that worked under me did a VIN check every time.

No its not...you can't just throw any old plate on your car even in your own driveway. Rat this clown out.

Last edited by BigMike50; 10-08-2010 at 12:57 PM..

Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Contact the NYSDMV's Division of Field Investigations. They are armed NYS peace officers who investigate cases of fraudulent driver's licensees/non driver IDs, registration plate theft, etc.
Hopefully this would work better than the police.

My brother (who lives in same town as OP) once had an incident where one of his cars was parked in front of his house and someone hit it and bashed it in bad. My brother came home and found it that way and a neighbor had left a note with a license plate number and a description of the car that hit it. He called the precinct, an officer came out, and the officer ran the plate number and said, "Oh that plate number belongs to a [color] [model] [make], NOT what is written on this note." The police refused to do anything about it because the plate was registered to an address somewhere in Queens. So my brother's insurance ate it (and he ate the deductible).

Old 10-08-2010, 12:25 PM

41 posts, read 178,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Does NY law allow for this? Down here an un-registered vehicle is prohibited in the driveway, front area. You must have plates and uninsured moterist insurance (minimum) on it. I'm sure most let it lapse...lol. If you go to re-register it you have to confirm that you have a valid policy.
Unregistered vehicles may be prohibited and/or regulated by local codes or ordinances, but liability insurance is not required. You cannot have NY plates without liability insurance.

In New York, you may turn in your number plates and cancel your registration, and then drop liability insurance.

If you drop insurance liability insurance or your policy lapses/is cancelled/etc, you must turn in your license plates. NYS DMV is electronically notified when liability insurance is no longer in effect. If you still have your plates, they will send a letter and suspend your driver's license and also the registration of any other vehicles in your name.

I have two unregisted and uninsured vehicles at my residence. They do not display number plates. Sometimes they need to be moved around on the property, so I start them and move them. Nothing illegal about that. I do keep them on the "far" side of the gardening shed in my back yard so they are not visible from the street or neighbor's yard's - this helps to prevent them from becoming an eyesore or a target for vandalism.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:44 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:

Honestly I don't know what goes on with them. They buy all these used beat up cars and just let them sit without registration/plates (and I assume insurance)... then I see them gone for a few days, and they come back.

My concern is this coming back to me. Last thing I need is for them to knock on my door, or worse.

EDIT: Like I said before, these two Integras, as well as the car with FL plates, are all driven daily. They disappear in the morning, and come back at night.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:50 PM

527 posts, read 1,019,882 times
to the op:Just curious but. Do you have an existing relationship with your neighbor? If you have any kind of one be prepared to have some awkardness to say the least if they find out you ratted them out. I personally would not call the police on any of my neighbors for something about shared license plates, it wouldnt go over too well at yearly block parties- I would become quite the outcast. I am pretty sure I would be waking up to some provolone or swiss at my front door every morning as well. Just saying

Old 10-08-2010, 12:52 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
to the op:Just curious but. Do you have an existing relationship with your neighbor? If you have any kind of one be prepared to have some awkardness to say the least if they find out you ratted them out. I personally would not call the police on any of my neighbors for something about shared license plates, it wouldnt go over too well at yearly block parties- I would become quite the outcast. I am pretty sure I would be waking up to some provolone or swiss at my front door every morning as well. Just saying

Yes we have an existing relationship but it is soured. They came and ruined the property/block, plus we are moving out anyway... want this to be sort of a good bye to them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island