Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
So that's how you explain your ignorance of facts. Interesting. You apparently have troubling comprehending that not every fact has an internet "source" that you can go to. Where do you think those authoritative "sources" -- like newspaper articles -- get their facts? They talk to people who actually do the work or who are responsible for ensuring the work is done. I'm simply cutting out the middle man for you. And for the record, I don't give a rat's *** whether you believe what I tell you or not.

You'll understand better when you're all grown up and get out from behind your computer a bit more often.
STOP TALKING TO PEOPLE LIKE THEY ARE CHILDREN! Do you actually read what you write on these boards? Here's the last 4 posts you made (Take note of the condescending theme and lack of substance in each):

Quote:
I guess this means that you get all your information from the internet, that absolutely reliable source for absolutely everything you ever wanted to know. Try getting out from behind the computer and living life for a change. You'd be surprised at just how many real facts you can learn.
Quote:
So that's how you explain your ignorance of facts. Interesting. You apparently have troubling comprehending that not every fact has an internet "source" that you can go to. Where do you think those authoritative "sources" -- like newspaper articles -- get their facts? They talk to people who actually do the work or who are responsible for ensuring the work is done. I'm simply cutting out the middle man for you. And for the record, I don't give a rat's *** whether you believe what I tell you or not.

You'll understand better when you're all grown up and get out from behind your computer a bit more often.
Quote:
You've made it your business on several threads to loudly whine and bash cops and other civil servants. But each of your posts displays a profound ignorance of the facts and a tendency toward the dramatic. I guess you just like to "shoot from the lip." Good luck with that.
Quote:
Drama, drama, drama ... It's not my job to do your research. It's just that my facts come from actually having experienced it ... not some website.
-
Your only answer is to raise taxes and everyone should just shut up. What most of us are saying is there is a serious structural problem with the union/govt contracts.
http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...ler6082010.pdf

That they are unsustainable in the long term. I'm sick of being held hostage to these pension funds and their unrealistic expectations of future growth:

If the pension funds do not meet these expectations, we can expect more and more skyrocketing taxes. How is that fair? Look at that chart up there. 5% growth is their lowball expectation?? 5% is tough to make even in a decent market. Even then, the shortfall is enormous. Even if they DO meet the high end of expectations of 11% growth, our taxes are still slated to DOUBLE by 2015. So what happens if the actual results come in at 2%? or 0%? or -15%...-40%? We need to lessen the risk posed to taxpayers by these structurally unsound systems that the unions and some corrupt pols got us into.

No need to respond. I already know what it's going to be:

Exhibit A- WE HAVE A PROBLEM HERE- Answer: "Raise Taxes"

Exhibit B- We are at the limit, especially in a down economy- These pensions are out of control! At this rate, NYS is going to be bankrupt within 10 years. Answer: "You're Wrong"

Exhibit C- This system is structurally flawed and unsustainable. It can not last unless we have constant boom economies and constant inflation - Answer: "You don't have a clue, go back to watching football..peasant"

Exhibit D- These guys make more than entire families in Garden City and most of Nassau County.. with fringe bennies unheard of in the real world...on par with upper management at an S&P 500 Company, to work jobs that required very low qualifications and usually involve "knowing someone " to obtain- So you'd rather soak millions of taxpayers on LI rather than cut some of the waste from the excessive salaries?
ANSWER: "You'll understand better when you're all grown up" <-- I mean, REALLY?!? ZERO substance.

----
Attached Thumbnails
Mangano's M Tax Relief via Union Concessions: Nope.-table-1-1-.png  

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-03-2011 at 08:01 PM..

Old 01-03-2011, 08:00 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Mangano and Schmitt are declaring war on NIFA and saying they will go to court if NIFA decides to take over, arguing that it would be illegal since they say the budget is balanced.

Quote:
The Republican leadership of Nassau County has declared an all-out war on the Nassau Interim Finance Authority.
And should NIFA, which is made up of Republicans, Democrats and an independent, decide to take over the county's finances after Jan. 20, according to one Nassau official, the county will go to court to fight the action.
"This has gotten to the point of ridiculousness as far as I am concerned," Peter Schmitt, majority leader of the county Legislature, said in an interview Monday.
"If they decide on Jan. 20 to take over," Schmitt said, "we will sue because if they take over, it will be an illegal move."
Nassau's GOP leadership declares war on NIFA

Old 01-03-2011, 08:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Mangano and Schmitt are declaring war on NIFA and saying they will go to court if NIFA decides to take over, arguing that it would be illegal since they say the budget is balanced.

[URL="http://www.newsday.com/columnists/joye-brown/nassau-s-gop-leadership-declares-war-on-nifa-1.2584765"]Nassau's GOP leadership declares war on NIFA[/URL]
I never thought I'd say this, but thank gawd I live in Suffolk. What a soap opera!

Old 01-03-2011, 09:20 PM

332 posts, read 613,857 times
The more that Schmitt and Mangano complain, the more I am sure that the budget is out of balance and they are fighting for their political lives.

Mangano ran on one thing "taxes bad" and no solutions on how to fix the budget without the tax increase.

It is very easy to prove that the budget is or is not in balance. Let an independent auditor look at the books, eliminate things like "union concessions" which is not guaranteed and see if the budget is balanced.

I have a feeling that both Mangano and Schmitt just do not want to be embarrassed of how far out of whack the budget is.

Quote:

Old 01-03-2011, 09:37 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
How about eliminating social services and welfare?

That would make too much sense.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
It IS a nassau county problem Smash , we have to pay the pensions for the county workers that served us. Here's where the problem is below: ---- Also, I can find a hundred more like those 3 examples.

Nassau County, Long Island New York

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...eofpayroll.pdf
Police and fire pensions are seperate and the best performing in the country.

Again pensions are paid by the state.

Any attempt to change pensions only affect new hires.

So pequamans sour grapes will continue because everyone you consider an idiot for taking a civil service job will have a decent retirement without a wall street style 401k that disappears the moment you go to collect it.

You made your decisions in life deal with it!

Old 01-04-2011, 06:01 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:

I wish they would put more of their energy into eliminating more patronage positions rather than wasting time and money fighting the obvious. Schmidt and Mangano can’t actually believe this budget is anywhere close to being balanced, what was point in asking the unions for give backs and requesting an increase in sales tax in the 12th hour. They come off looking like delusional amateurs stamping their feet.

Moody’s downgraded the county bond rating because of borrowing and Mangano’s original budget proposed more of the same making the problem worse. He indicated he was going to solve the issue with tax certiorari , created a panel and nothing has become of that effort. Meanwhile he is attempting to push taxes back onto the local municipalities. One second he is partnering with NIFA now he is suing them, this is very bizarre to say the least.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:27 AM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Police and fire pensions are seperate and the best performing in the country.

Again pensions are paid by the state.
Police and fire pensions are separate and paid by the state, so where do you think that funding comes from? Truth is there are no pension systems performing well in the country including NY State.

Police and fire pensions are actually a big part of the problem, have you not heard of Port Auth Policemen retiring on huge pensions because they worked huge amounts of overtime in their last few years? Where do you get that those pension systems have a great performance and why are taxpayers being asked to increase contributions if they are performing so well? Look at the pensions in the link below and tell me how any financial planner could have predicted those levels and how taxpayers can continue to fund them.

Top New York State Pensions - Times Union - Albany NY

Quote:
Any attempt to change pensions only affect new hires.
They can't change pensions for retirees but they can increase current employee donations into the system.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Police and fire pensions are separate and paid by the state, so where do you think that funding comes from? Truth is there are no pension systems performing well in the country including NY State.

Police and fire pensions are actually a big part of the problem, have you not heard of Port Auth Policemen retiring on huge pensions because they worked huge amounts of overtime in their last few years? Where do you get that those pension systems have a great performance and why are taxpayers being asked to increase contributions if they are performing so well? Look at the pensions in the link below and tell me how any financial planner could have predicted those levels and how taxpayers can continue to fund them.

Top New York State Pensions - Times Union - Albany NY

I

They can't change pensions for retirees but they can increase current employee donations into the system.

The police fund had a 40% return last quarter.

Other pension funds were doing poorly because of private sector greed and their real estate collapse.

Public workers did nothing to create the financial meltdown.

But the corporations who run the media are giving a daily dose of attacks on the public sector.

Why?

Because their criminal friends on wall street want your pension money, your social security money and anything else they can get their hands on.

Its so easy when they have people like you doing their divide and conquer propaganda for them for free!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
STOP TALKING TO PEOPLE LIKE THEY ARE CHILDREN! Do you actually read what you write on these boards? Here's the last 4 posts you made (Take note of the condescending theme and lack of substance in each):

-
Your only answer is to raise taxes and everyone should just shut up. What most of us are saying is there is a serious structural problem with the union/govt contracts.
http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...ler6082010.pdf

That they are unsustainable in the long term. I'm sick of being held hostage to these pension funds and their unrealistic expectations of future growth:

If the pension funds do not meet these expectations, we can expect more and more skyrocketing taxes. How is that fair? Look at that chart up there. 5% growth is their lowball expectation?? 5% is tough to make even in a decent market. Even then, the shortfall is enormous. Even if they DO meet the high end of expectations of 11% growth, our taxes are still slated to DOUBLE by 2015. So what happens if the actual results come in at 2%? or 0%? or
-15%...
-40%? We need to lessen the risk posed to taxpayers by these structurally unsound systems that the unions and some corrupt pols got us into.

No need to respond. I already know what it's going to be:

Exhibit A- WE HAVE A PROBLEM HERE- Answer: "Raise Taxes"

Exhibit B- We are at the limit, especially in a down economy- These pensions are out of control! At this rate, NYS is going to be bankrupt within 10 years. Answer: "You're Wrong"

Exhibit C- This system is structurally flawed and unsustainable. It can not last unless we have constant boom economies and constant inflation - Answer: "You don't have a clue, go back to watching football..peasant"

Exhibit D- These guys make more than entire families in Garden City and most of Nassau County.. with fringe bennies unheard of in the real world...on par with upper management at an S&P 500 Company, to work jobs that required very low qualifications and usually involve "knowing someone " to obtain- So you'd rather soak millions of taxpayers on LI rather than cut some of the waste from the excessive salaries?
ANSWER: "You'll understand better when you're all grown up" <-- I mean, REALLY?!? ZERO substance.

----
Pensions, unions, pensions, unions ... How about a new line? Yours is getting real old. And the constant drama with videos and charts and capital letters and exclamation points ... please spare us. We all know that you don't like unions, you don't like pensions, and whatever else. You keep covering the same ground, over and over and over again. Just give it a rest.

And by the way, those that act like children need to be spoken to like children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island