Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 03:31 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

I can't believe this crap Suozzi let go on:

Nassau trims some retired cops' salaries
Search Result item

Here is the first 3 sentences from Newsday Mobile for all to read. There's lots of comments on Newday's other site too.

Quote:
Nassau County Executive Edward Mangano has cut the salaries of 17 retired cops -- all men -- who work as part-time clerk-typists in the police department following concerns that they were paid significantly more than women doing the same jobs.

Nearly all the police officer retirees had been making more than $33 an hour working two days a week, just under the amount that would have prevented them from working and taking a pension without a waiver.

The 13 other part-time clerk-typists in the department were making from $14.50 to $22 an hour, according to data provided by County Comptroller George Maragos. Only one of those was a retired officer.
How unfair and sexist against women! And disgustingly GREEDY since the average pension these men were raking in was $108,000. Many TAXPAYERS on LI, who are the ones actually supporting this crooked boondoggle with their confiscated tax money, make less than $108K working full-time, not retired. This was started on Suozzi's watch and, of course, he refused comment. Stereotypical Democrat, throwing away the taxpayers' money with both hands.

Thank you, Ed Mangano for putting an end to this unfair and indefensible practice!

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 01-13-2012 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2012, 03:47 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,698 times
This crap has been going on since time immemorial, but thanks for noticing finally I guess. Now he's freed up a few tax dollars to pay his patronage flunkies.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
This crap has been going on since time immemorial, but thanks for noticing finally I guess. Now he's freed up a few tax dollars to pay his patronage flunkies.
The thing that gets me the most about this is NOT that retirees are getting p/t County jobs, it's the DISPARITY in the pay and how other people (women!) are doing the same job and getting so much less for it. It's the 21st century, isn't it time we got past such BRAZEN shows of discrimination and favoritism? Apparently this is just "business as usual" for NCPD. Just look at the Crime Lab fiasco, same thing, civilian workers doing the same job averaging half the pay and the police employees freaking out if any civilian gets OT.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:22 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
And we have a winner! First response in the thread, too. Impressive.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:26 PM

'Nearly all the police officer retirees had been making more than $33 an hour working two days a week,'
'The average starting salary for a full-time clerk/typist 1 is $23,540 per year, union officials said.'

What is wrong with this picture? Nothing? Would any private business on LI pay a clerk-typist $33 an hour?

Old 01-13-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Moderator cut: snip

Mangano's patronage positions are not what this thread is about. Although I am surprised he left so many of Suozzi's in place ... like the clerk-typists in this thread. For the record, I disapprove of Mangano's patronage positions too.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-14-2012 at 07:38 AM..

Old 01-13-2012, 05:16 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I can't believe this crap Suozzi let go on:

Search Result item

Here is the first 3 sentences from Newsday Mobile for all to read. There's lots of comments on Newday's other site too.

How unfair and sexist against women! And disgustingly GREEDY since the average pension these men were raking in was $108,000. Many TAXPAYERS on LI, who are the ones actually supporting this crooked boondoggle with their confiscated tax money, make less than $108K working full-time, not retired. This was started on Suozzi's watch and, of course, he refused comment. Stereotypical Democrat, throwing away the taxpayers' money with both hands.

Thank you, Ed Mangano for putting an end to this unfair and indefensible practice!
Its not like they were doing laundry or vacuuming where they should get higher salaries !
Just kidding ladies. I read this and it is bs!

Old 01-13-2012, 05:20 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,954,383 times

Whoa,
when I first read this I thought he was reducing some of their pensions .

So a few retired guys with nothing else to do decide to come in a do a little part time typing. Trust me they're aren't doing it for the money

Maybe he could finally balance the budget with that extra few bucks he will be saving

Must be a slow reporting day if this makes the paper

Old 01-13-2012, 05:25 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post

Whoa,
when I first read this I thought he was reducing some of their pensions .

So a few retired guys with nothing else to do decide to come in a do a little part time typing. Trust me they're aren't doing it for the money

Maybe he could finally balance the budget with that extra few bucks he will be saving
Hey, you have to hand it to his press staff, though. They know how to pitch a "story!" Next they'll be dressing him in a Superman cape. Or better yet, Mighty Mouse. "Here I come to save the dayyyy, Mighty Mang is on the wayyyyy..." But hey, a few bucks is a few bucks, right? It's the principle of the thing!

Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Moderator cut: snip

Mangano's patronage positions are not what this thread is about. Although I am surprised he left so many of Suozzi's in place ... like the clerk-typists in this thread. For the record, I disapprove of Mangano's patronage positions too.
As usual, an overreaction from the woefully uninformed.

These retired police officers were not doing clerk/typist jobs. They are all people with special expertise in a particular area of police administration. The Department looked for a way to continue to tap that expertise when those people retired. Unfortunately, there is no provision for anyone to do those jobs part-time, so the "clerk/typist" title was chosen to provide a way for them to continue to work. Salaries were based on the state mandated cap of $30,000/year, with the hourly rate based on the particular job they were doing -- and those jobs were far more than simple clerical tasks.

It's actually a good use of personnel, since there are no benefits involvement -- and no payment to the pension system. The singular flaw in the system is the rigid civil service system that forced them to go through the back door to fill the need.

Last edited by Keeper; 01-14-2012 at 07:40 AM.. Reason: fixed quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island