Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 AM

4 posts, read 8,985 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I recently visited Babylon Village, West Babylon and West Islip and loved the whole area, and are strongly considering relocating there. We do not have children yet, but school districts are important for us. We are both New Yorkers, but totally unfamiliar with this beautiful area of Long Island. I'm hoping to get some brutally honest answers (nothing sugar coated) to my questions:

1) Why is the real estate not as expensive here as it is on the North Shore? Obviously, I was thrilled that the prices weren't crazy, but is this something I should be worried about?

2) How are the school districts here? I've heard that Babylon and West Islip are good, but what about West Babylon?

3) Is West Bay Shore a good area to live in? What about West Bay Shore's school district?

4) When we drove on Route 109 South from the Southern State, it looked pretty rundown. I noticed a big Salvation Army thrift store, for example, and some sketchy looking people. Once we were off Route 109, everything looked good. I'm not trying to be a snob, but should I be worried about what I saw?

5) Is there anything else I need to know? What are areas to avoid?

Basically, we are looking for a low crime, safe area with good schools and with plenty to do, too. Thank you all very much for answering my questions. I really appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 03:20 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,316,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UptownGirl1 View Post
Hi everyone,

My husband and I recently visited Babylon Village, West Babylon and West Islip and loved the whole area, and are strongly considering relocating there. We do not have children yet, but school districts are important for us. We are both New Yorkers, but totally unfamiliar with this beautiful area of Long Island. I'm hoping to get some brutally honest answers (nothing sugar coated) to my questions:

1) Why is the real estate not as expensive here as it is on the North Shore? Obviously, I was thrilled that the prices weren't crazy, but is this something I should be worried about?

2) How are the school districts here? I've heard that Babylon and West Islip are good, but what about West Babylon?

3) Is West Bay Shore a good area to live in? What about West Bay Shore's school district?

4) When we drove on Route 109 South from the Southern State, it looked pretty rundown. I noticed a big Salvation Army thrift store, for example, and some sketchy looking people. Once we were off Route 109, everything looked good. I'm not trying to be a snob, but should I be worried about what I saw?

5) Is there anything else I need to know? What are areas to avoid?

Basically, we are looking for a low crime, safe area with good schools and with plenty to do, too. Thank you all very much for answering my questions. I really appreciate it!
1. Real Estate on the South Shore generally is cheaper than real estate on the North Shore because homes on the South Shore tends to have smaller lots and middle class housing has always just been aimed towards the South Shore while the North Shore has always been exclusive. Once you go South of Montauk Ave. then it could easily get just as expensive as the North Shore.

2. All of the School Districts in the Town of Babylon and the Town of Islip are considered good and have acceptable test scores for the exception of the Wyandanch, Central Islip and Brentwood School District.

4. That area is an industrial area so it will look rundown to a degree. Most industrial areas look run-down for the exception of High-Tech Industrial places like Melville and Hauppauge. (btw: What do you mean by "sketchy"?) You really shouldn't be worried about what you saw, plus, look at it this way, most people wouldn't mess with you if you don't mess with them.

5. I would avoid Straight Path in Wyandanch. That part Straight Path is notorious for having a lot of Crackheads and such walking up the street and it is known for a lot of crime and drugs. I would also avoid Deer Park Avenue in Deer Park and North Babylon at night, that road is notorious for street races, fights, homeless, etc, etc.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:57 PM

63 posts, read 163,482 times
Babylon village and West Islip are good area's, as is Islip and E. Islip.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:00 PM

176 posts, read 473,530 times
there is a lot of real estate for sale in WI right now so deals can be had. Schools in general are better regarded than babylon village and west babylon. JFK elementary in WB is one of the best in LI and all the WI elementary schools are considered very, very good. Babylon schools also perform well but the district is very small and depending on children's needs it maybe too small to accomodate. I am in the process of purchasing a home in WI, north of sunrise and well south of southern state. Taxes are high in WI but due to the village tax in Babylon and crazy assessments the taxes there tend to by nearly sky high. West islip taxes seem to be to a bit more tame. That being said, there is much more to do in the babylon village area but if you secure a place not to far east of babylon you can be there in 5 minutes. I personally was all for purchasing a home in babylon village (village tax in order to qualify for village amenities) and WB schools since I have a 2 yr old and JFK elementary was very likable to me. In terms of diversity you go from diverse to not very diverse at all in this order: WB, Babylon, WI. That is one of the not so great things about WI as far as I am concerned but I looked for a home in Babylon and Babylon with WB schools for almost 9 months and nothing reasonable came on the market. The prices that some of these home sellers are looking to get even in this kind of market is insane. I do not know enough about bayshore to offer an opinion other than the school district is not as well regarded as either of the other 3 and many areas there (aside from Brightwaters) can be very hit or miss. Good luck, if you are looking for an AMAZING realtor please send me a PM and I will get you the name of someone who will work like a dog to find you something.

Old 11-01-2010, 05:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,599,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocabrera7 View Post
I personally was all for purchasing a home in babylon village (village tax in order to qualify for village amenities) ...
Huh?

All property in the Village of Babylon is subject to the Village of Babylon property tax(es).

Places that have a "Babylon, NY 11702" mailing address that are not in the Village of Babylon are in the Hamlet of North Babylon and in the Hamlet of West Babylon; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Babylon with a "West Babylon, NY 11704" mailing address.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:55 PM

^^ yes what he said....what I meant to say is that it is good to have the additional village tax for amenities of parking and town pool in the summer and town beaches but hey, it is what it is. Good luck

Old 12-02-2010, 06:36 PM

10 posts, read 27,044 times
West Islip is good as long as you stay south. By that I mean south of sunrise hwy and maybe just a little north of sunrise hwy. West Bay Shore is actually quite nice too and the prices of houses are a bit cheeper. You can get houses in West Bay Shore but in West Islip school district, but Bay Shore actually has a better school district (test scores, cleanliness and they have all been modernized). There is also Brightwaters in Bay Shore with Bay Shore schools and it's a really nice part of Bay Shore. Prices there are more expensive. You can go to Brightwaters Farms, where the nieghborhoods are just as nice and friendly, and houses are cheaper. But when looking at houses in W.Islip, ask for Bayview Elementary or Paul Bellew. Those are the two better ones. Or in Bay Shore, ask for Mary G. Clarkson school. That is the better of the elementary schools. Good luck! *By the way, I'd stay away from Babylon... it's nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. (because of schools mostly - not people)

Old 12-02-2010, 06:39 PM

10 posts, read 27,044 times
OCA - Actually Bay Shore schools are one of the better school districts. They have great scores, great extra-curricular activities, and a great graduation rate.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:50 PM

^^ is this so...? where is the data, considering a home with a west bay shore address and a west islip school district that is why I ask.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:06 AM

54 posts, read 329,156 times
We moved to Babylon Village around 14 years ago and never regretted my decision. Yes the taxes are high however the feeling of community, school district and activities for both the kids and adults are well worth it. My children love living here and have a ton of friends. It really is a small town feel here, everyone knows each other and community support is great. The 2011 Graduating class has less than 150 kids with several of them going to Ivy League Schools. The schools are what you make of them if you push your kids they have plenty of honors classes and AP classes as well. Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island