Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 09:06 PM

62 posts, read 251,820 times

Advertisements

I am buying this house in LI. RE agent says they will finish an unfinished room in the 2nd Fl after the closing and willing put it in writing. They said they will spend part of the commission to finish the room. Room is well insulated and just need to put sheetrock and paint. Please let know if this is common in real estate transactions and what should I expect from the listing agent. Any advice will go a long way here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 PM

93 posts, read 242,847 times
They may well need those funds to complete the work but why not just reduce the selling price so you can get it done yourself. Otherwise Include those terms in the contract to buy and state that escrow for that amount should be held until the work is completed.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:32 AM

342 posts, read 1,094,478 times
You can set up an escrow to do that, however, I doubt your bank will allow it. I'd check with your bank first before agreeing to this.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:01 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
You can set up an escrow to do that, however, I doubt your bank will allow it. I'd check with your bank first before agreeing to this.
Why does the bank need to be involved? The buyer's attorney can hold the money in escrow. You are thinking of the escrow that the taxes and insurance are paid out of, I think - this is something different.

The biggest problem I see with this arrangement is who is choosing who does the work? Is the RE Agent's husband going to give it the old college try on a free weekend, or do you get to pick the contractor? Is there electrical wiring in place? If not, who is going to install that? Are you going to get permits for the work? WHo is going to pay for the permit? And so on. It seems to me the agent is desperate to close this deal and hasn't really given you some important info.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:53 AM

341 posts, read 1,536,107 times
Who is putting it in writing? The sellers or the REA? That's strange. I wouldn't be comfortable doing that after the closing.

I would ask that it be finished (to code) and available for inspection before closing

Or price of house reduced so you can have it done yourself if the bank will allow it. Get a good estimate... maybe more than one so you can deal with real numbers as you negotiate. (this would be my preferred solution).

If the realtors want to take the amount out of their commission, that's their business. Let them hash it out with the sellers. That's who pays them. You should just concern yourself with the price of your house and the condition it's in at closing. That's it.

After closing... it will be your problem. Any leverage you have is before closing. Any resistance you have to reasonable resolution just gives you an idea of who your dealing with. If it's tough now... it will only be worse once they have your money.

FYI, if it's an FHA loan, you won't get an approved inspection without that room finished.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:33 AM

55 posts, read 160,141 times
It depends - some RE professionals are involved in more aspects of the business than just sales. If they are also involved in flips/renovations then they may have a crew already available that they'll send in to do the job.

If it's just a person who also fancies themselves a handyman then you're taking your chances of either shoddy or no work being done.

Find out the specifics. send me a private message if you want - I know people in the business and could find out for you if they are legit.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Is this house owned by the RE agent?? That's the only time this would make sense IMHO.
Even then, money should go into escrow till it's taken care of. In my experience, escrow is usually 50% over the estimate provided...

Old 11-04-2010, 12:19 PM

398 posts, read 838,221 times
I've known agents that were willing to replace doors, fixtures, appliances in order for the buyer to buy at the sellers firm price. An entire room could be a large part of the commision, but in this economy the agent might be willing to let go out some profit to make the sale.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:03 PM

Thank you for all your replies. room has all the wiring and insulation, but just need to put sheetrock and paint. Is there anyway my attorney can hold some money in an escrow even after the closing?

Old 11-04-2010, 02:05 PM

Thank you for all your replies. Room has all the electric wiring, heating and insulation, but just need to put sheetrock and paint. Is there anyway my attorney can hold some money in an escrow even after the closing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island