Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2010, 05:18 PM

27 posts, read 134,743 times

Advertisements

I live in Bay Shore and between paying to get the lawn cut and lawn services (weed control etc.) plus peticides for mosquitoes and tics, on average I am paying close to $300 per month. Can anyone suggest a reasonable lawn cutting service person (no more than $25 per week- my grass area is not that huge to warrant more) and leaf clean up and pesticide company? HELP!!! Also- as far as the mosquitoe service- I still get attacked if I go out at night during the warm months so is this a waste of money? Any advice at all would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,010,159 times
It sounds like you have a large lawn if you are paying $300 a month for lawn care. How many trees overhang the lawn, to justify leaf clean-up? If your semi-handy, you could drop the weed and mosquito control on the lawn yourself to save a few bucks. If your lawn is small as you say it is, then you must have a tremendous amount of leaf and shrubbery work being done on your property to justify that monthly charge.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:29 PM

63 posts, read 164,113 times
custom gardening-john field 631 882-3607. He is a great guy, does an excellent job and his rates are reasonable. If you call tell him, his neighbor John recommended him.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:34 PM

Lawn cutting weekly is $35 and the pasticides/ weed control is roughly $80 depending on the month (more when the services are doubled due to time of year). There are 3 huge trees in the back yard and 2 huge ones in the front yard which produce massive amounts of leaves. I am on roughly 1/4 acre in total. I have no issues doing the mosquito and weed control myself- do you get yours from home depot/ lowes or something else- what works well for you? Cutting the lawn is not an option I wand for DIY. I work in the city and am just too tired and busy running around on the weekends...

Old 11-07-2010, 05:37 PM

886 posts, read 2,648,509 times
My yard is 85x150 and I pay $35 a week for cut/whack/blow. Putting down fertilizer is beyond easy so that I do but controlling mosquitos is impossible? If you figure out a successful way you'll be a millionaire. To spend money on trying to limit them is foolish.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan_the dog View Post
custom gardening-john field 631 882-3607. He is a great guy, does an excellent job and his rates are reasonable. If you call tell him, his neighbor John recommended him.

thanks- I will likely give him a call!

Old 11-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
My yard is 85x150 and I pay $35 a week for cut/whack/blow. Putting down fertilizer is beyond easy so that I do but controlling mosquitos is impossible? If you figure out a successful way you'll be a millionaire. To spend money on trying to limit them is foolish.

OK- so you do no mosquito control at all? is this a total waste of my money in your opinion?

Old 11-07-2010, 06:15 PM

886 posts, read 2,648,509 times
Honestly I think you're being taken. Permethrin and Piperonyl Botoxide work well when applied by a licensed exterminator but once area get wet it's gone. Get bats!

Old 11-07-2010, 07:51 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,010,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyh001 View Post
Lawn cutting weekly is $35 and the pasticides/ weed control is roughly $80 depending on the month (more when the services are doubled due to time of year). There are 3 huge trees in the back yard and 2 huge ones in the front yard which produce massive amounts of leaves. I am on roughly 1/4 acre in total. I have no issues doing the mosquito and weed control myself- do you get yours from home depot/ lowes or something else- what works well for you? Cutting the lawn is not an option I wand for DIY. I work in the city and am just too tired and busy running around on the weekends...
You are paying for the leaf clean-up, that's why the cost is so high. I have 3 huge trees - leaves are mostly still on and my bag count has already surpassed ten.
Weed control - Drop Scotts Winter-guard right now - it's a combo fertilizer and weed preventer. Spend $10 get a back of granular lime - drop that down as well, if it hasn't been done yet. Come springtime, drop Scotts Plus 2 with Halts - fertilizer plus weed control, particularly crabgrass, do this in late March/early April. Mid-April, spread some more lime. Come June - drop some fertilizer.

The other OP is correct, once it rains, the pesticide will wash away. Bats are the only things that will reduce the mosqito population.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 429 times
I use a local family owned company not a franchise named, " LawnMan Service" for fertilizer, weed, grub etc. They don't do mow or clean up service tho (wish they did) but they do wonders for my lawn, nicest lawn on my block! They also do a monthly mosquito control spray service that I use, works really well and lasts about 3-4 weeks ea time they come. I think its worth it if you get a lot of the bugs, fleas, ticks in your yard. I just dont know if they do all over the island or just in one area. Info if interested LawnMan Service - Lawn Care Long Island NY - Lawn Care Weed Control and Fertilization - LawnMan of Long Island NY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: