Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:02 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Allstate: 3 cars for 6 months = $800... that's $45/mo. per car. The '97 Civic in there is actually only $250 for 6 months.
To the OP.... this is about or just below average on LI for 3 cars assuming full comprehensive coverage. You should shop around to find out the real deal. As you must already know every driver is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I can't believe the discrepancy in plans with some employers... $500/mo? That better be like 5 dependents. My wife pays something like $150/mo. for her and our 2 kids. It was actually cheaper for me to keep separate.
You have to believe the discrepancy in employer plans, its the reality. My wifes plan coverage is exactly the same and she pays 50% of what I pay and her copays are lesser than mine. When the premium increases each year the employer may or may not transfer most of the increase to the employee. Over the past few years this has resulted in the huge differences in the premiums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 05:40 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I pay $70/month for full coverage on a 2 year old car. Maybe it's just the young pretty girls they screw over with insurance because they know they just flash some and get away with tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Young people are always charged higher rates b/c we are "riskier" drivers.

Old 12-12-2010, 06:23 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Young people are always charged higher rates b/c we are "riskier" drivers.
single males, 25 and under (or under 25), pay the highest rates...

Hmmm, I wonder why

Old 12-12-2010, 06:44 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_to_LongI View Post
Hey Guys,
I have a job offer of about $60K from a company in Long Island. Me and my wife (she does not work right now) are in our mid-twenties, and do not have an extravagant lifestyle. I have done some calculations for our monthly cost of living as follows. Please provide feedback on whether I am missing something or some costs need adjustment

Rent: 1650 - 1750 (for one/two bedroom)
Groceries: 600
Utilities: 150
Cellphone: 150
Internet/Cable: 100
Can Insurance (2005 honda civic): 100
Misc: 350

Comes out to about $3100 per month (company pays the health insurance for both of us)

For the rent, I looked at some communities around middle island, coram neighborhoods. Howz avalon pines?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help and feedback.
Rent is right on for a 2 bedroom, but you can probably get a 1 bedroom for 1400 if you search.

Groceries are about right, my wife and I spend about $75/week and another $50/week for lunches at work.

Utilities depends on your apartment, some make you pay for gas/water and almost all make you pay for electric. I would put in $200 if you have to pay for gas or water.

You can get a lower cellphone bill, but your in the ballpark for two phones.

Internet/Cable- Verizon had a deal for $85 for cable/internet. It's much cheaper if you don't include the land line phone.

Car Insurance depends on if you want collision or not and your driving record. I pay about $150/month for two vehicles with full collision/glass

$350 for clothing/eating out/gas/car maintenance/travel/furniture and all other expenses seems a bit low.

Where's your allocation for your retirement funds? House saving funds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island