Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:46 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,275,733 times

Advertisements

Four pages of talking about how high taxes are.

And you intend to do what about it, exactly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:49 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,181,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Four pages of talking about how high taxes are.

And you intend to do what about it, exactly?

Out by me Im in favor of larger Councilmanic SDs

Old 12-21-2010, 09:00 AM

3,519 posts, read 2,824,670 times
Hey, should some one have posted by now the "Who cares? LI schools are the best!" and "I'd rather pay a *little* more taxes so junior gets a good education!"?

Old 12-21-2010, 09:02 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,956,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
Hey, should some one have posted by now the "Who cares? LI schools are the best!" and "I'd rather pay a *little* more taxes so junior gets a good education!"?
I would've but it's simply not true

Old 12-21-2010, 10:41 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,749,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
That couldn't possibly be because people are thinking about holidays and family, and therefore fun, instead of filling their minds with relentless negativity. It's probably not because people are tired of flogging a dead horse and watching a discussion devolve into ranting hyperbole and petty nastiness, either.
I agree. My family loves watching / talking football around Turkey-day and during football season. Not sure what that has to do with holidays or the "Long Island" Forum?? Besides, we have an entire forum dedicated to sports> //www.city-data.com/forum/sports/

This poor schlep that paid $500K for his house will be lucky to get $250k when all is said n done. Maybe if he'd been a little more active (as most LI'ers should be) in speaking out against the abuse that caused his $14k tax burden, he'd be a much happier person today.

[mod] signature ]/mod]

Last edited by Keeper; 12-22-2010 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: signatures are not allowed

Old 12-21-2010, 10:44 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,168,126 times
There are many folks who overbought from 2002-2008 and will be in the hole for a long time. Its not only this Wading River person.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:21 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,701,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Out by me Im in favor of larger Councilmanic SDs
This would lower school district costs, and hence school district property taxes, if the existing school districts were dissolved and new districts negotiated new contracts with the new district's teachers' union.

Otherwise, the newly formed councilmanic school district would see higher costs and higher property taxes as all the teachers in the district were now eligible for the highest salary schedule that existed prior to reorganization.

Then, what would happen whenever councilmanic districts were changed?

Or, what about towns that did not have councilmanic districts?

Old 12-21-2010, 11:44 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,322,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Can you point me to data that supports this argument?

I'm usually not one who asks for supporting documentation on a forum, but I would be interested to see how much the support staff costs for an average school district compared to teacher costs. If your accusation is true then that would be quite eye opening to say the least.
I will look. The breakdown of what property taxes are typically spent on in Nassau and Suffolk I am referring to was in Newsday, but that was several months back at least. Actually when it first came out there were some people on C-D here that considered it a big "yawn" and said that they would expect the personnel costs to take up most of the budget so some people were not surprised.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:50 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,181,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
This would lower school district costs, and hence school district property taxes, if the existing school districts were dissolved and new districts negotiated new contracts with the new district's teachers' union.

Otherwise, the newly formed councilmanic school district would see higher costs and higher property taxes as all the teachers in the district were now eligible for the highest salary schedule that existed prior to reorganization.

Then, what would happen whenever councilmanic districts were changed?

Or, what about towns that did not have councilmanic districts?
Then you now have successfully made the case for them.

(Can you hear me now Huntington....Elwood?)

As for changes... the core rarely shifts dramatically so you could hold the course(ours havent shifted yet).

I like the idea of Councilmen on the School Board.I like the idea of electing fiscally conservative, ed savvy people.
Were lucky that our Councilwoman was on the School Board and was a former Civic pres.

As for increases, I would think the economy of scale in combined buying power. (Example Brookhaven CSD 1-6) would offset salary shenanigans.
Keep in mind your elected officials would be on the board that decides.If you dont like it vote the bums out.

Councilmanic Dists have been hugely successful for TOB.

Cmon Walter.
Get your Fox news on.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:26 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,701,447 times
Quote:
As for increases, I would think the economy of scale in combined buying power. (Example Brookhaven CSD 1-6) would offset salary shenanigans.
Wishful thinking.

Quote:
Keep in mind your elected officials would be on the board that decides.If you dont like it vote the bums out.
Elected officials are currently on the board that decides these things now, and if you don't like them you can vote the bums out. But, just the opposite occurs: school board members that produced a budget that was voted down are repeatedly re-elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island