Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 06:24 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times

Advertisements

I dunno, maybe I'm out of touch but this seems ridiculous even with an oversized plot. We know the schools are in trouble but this is straight up criminal.

Homes for Sale - Visual Listing Systems

Are you seeing any other gross tax abuses out there? South Shore? Nassau? (Please dont post from MLSLI links dont work on C-D).

What really burns my ass is Im sure theres some guy in a nearby "historic" sprawling farmhouse paying far less. (Dont even get me started about the Hamptons free ride on the back of LI.)

We really have to reevaluate how were paying/not paying for our Schools/Services.Im not surprised these guys are selling for this little.Thats ugly.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 06:30 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,010 times
People would pay that without a gun to head If that exact house was by me the taxes would be around 1,800 to maybe 2k

Old 12-19-2010, 07:31 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,991 times
Funny thing is I looked at that house when house hunting. We pulled up to the house, the realtor handed me the summary sheet of the house. I looked at the price, check. Looked at taxes, didnt even go through the house. We left. : ( Poor guy will never sell that house with those taxes.

Old 12-19-2010, 07:40 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,441 times
Well 400k that house is high....and 14k in taxes isn't worth it, im more then half of that amount now... definitely a issue to stay here

For those taxes, i have no patrol, no full time FD, amongst other issues... Wonderful...

400k in other places with the same bs offered, yet still less taxes would get 20 acres...or more

Old 12-19-2010, 07:50 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,347,350 times
W.T.F?!!!!

I thought property taxes in Texas were supposed to be bad...I don't pay that much on an $800k house!

That is crazy.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:02 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
I think the only reason we sold our house in Garden City so fast is the taxes were "only" $12K. Pretty sad when you're looking at houses and trying to stay under $15K.

Pay off your mortgage and you're still paying more than most people pay a month for their mortgage.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:01 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,412,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Pay off your mortgage and you're still paying more than most people pay a month for their mortgage.
Exactly. If we stayed in NHP, our house would've been paid off in 9 years and there were many times I tried telling myself we should stay because 9 years isn't that far away. When it came right down to it, however, I just couldn't justify not having a mortgage payment and still be paying over $1K a month in taxes alone. To me, that's crazy and I wanted no part of it.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:32 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,242,409 times
Are the taxes so high there because of all the over building in the area (near WFP)? I know Manorville went through the roof because they had to build a new high school because of all the new construction.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:56 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Are the taxes so high there because of all the over building in the area (near WFP)? I know Manorville went through the roof because they had to build a new high school because of all the new construction.
No SWR lost its Lilco Funding from the Powerplant ten years ago, continued to spend like a drunken sailor and failed to save for a rainy day.Couple that with the community voting down any retail development that comes their way and a huge Senior voting block in Leisure Village and its a recipe for complete failure.
(Two Supts resigning in 10 years is rarely a good sign.)

As for this poor guy.He'll be lucky to get 300k with taxes like that.People are giving homes away because of the taxes but very few are taking the bait.

I dont want this to be just about SWR. Are there any similar stories in Nassau where folks are bailing due to SD burdens?
Im hearing that the Fed may start witholding funding if some of these microdistricts dont consolidate.

Whats going on with Elwood?

Crooks

Old 12-19-2010, 12:06 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im hearing that the Fed may start witholding funding if some of these microdistricts dont consolidate.
The FED gets blamed for many things, but this is the first time I've heard the FED mentioned in the same breath with school district consolidation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island