Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 11:51 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They deserve no credit. MTV has created a gold mine by marketing trash TV for years, and these 2 have benefited from that the most as MTV has honed it's craft. They made minor celebrities out of many idiots going 20 years back with their real-world cast. This is just the same thing made even more absurd and thus even more popular. Jersey Shore becomes a big hit, the kids get an entourage of press agents to keep their celebrity 15 minutes going. That doesn't take any marketing talent. "Hey, I is famous from bein' on da TV...I need to keep myself famous, I'm hiring an agent and publicity!" That's what anyone does who is in the public eye.

Brett Favre texted me, I'm getting a press agent. Book me on Oprah.

I slid down an escape chute from a plane, I'm getting a press agent, book me on Jimmy Kimmel.

I'm Joe the Plumber, get me a press agent.

That deserves credit? Heaven help us.
You've taken me a bit too seriously on the last post.

Do I think they deserve such publicity? Absolutely not, but I do give them some credit for pushing this 15 mins of fame as far as they can and making the most money they can from it. Yes, I do give them somecredit for going to the auditions, the callbacks -- even though the job was to make major jackarses out of themselves.

Yes, I agree with you about MTV and the pablum it spits out. MTV has done a fine job removing the M from it's name. Perhaps ITV -- I for idiot -- would be best.

And in the end, they're currently making more money than we are. Yes, it's 15 mins of fame and fame is fleeting.

What night are you appearing on Kimmel? I'll set the TiVo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 11:58 AM

5,706 posts, read 9,629,182 times
I live in Milwaukee where there's lots and lots of beer. But there's not enough beer to get me drunk enough to shine the sheets with Snooki.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:01 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You've taken me a bit too seriously on the last post.

Do I think they deserve such publicity? Absolutely not, but I do give them some credit for pushing this 15 mins of fame as far as they can and making the most money they can from it. Yes, I do give them somecredit for going to the auditions, the callbacks -- even though the job was to make major jackarses out of themselves.

Yes, I agree with you about MTV and the pablum it spits out. MTV has done a fine job removing the M from it's name. Perhaps ITV -- I for idiot -- would be best.

And in the end, they're currently making more money than we are. Yes, it's 15 mins of fame and fame is fleeting.

What night are you appearing on Kimmel? I'll set the TiVo.
I'm sure they've already been on the talk shows, I'm using rhetoric.

There are a lot of people who make more money than we do, some of them do it by being despicable human beings. Not to be too much of a jerk, but I've always rolled my eyes at the "they are making more money than you!!" in reference to people who suck....I usually expect to hear it from 12 year old girls when they are told that Justin Bieber/Backstreet Boys/Menudo etc insert boy band from whatever decade... blows or whatever. "He's making more money than you!!"

They're making money for being morons. I hope people don't use that argument around their impressionable kids.

What does that have to do with them being talentless vapid idiots?

Last edited by dman72; 01-04-2011 at 12:12 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 12:36 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,986 times
Quote:
They deserve no credit. MTV has created a gold mine by marketing trash TV for years, and these 2 have benefited from that the most as MTV has honed it's craft. They made minor celebrities out of many idiots going 20 years back with their real-world cast. This is just the same thing made even more absurd and thus even more popular. Jersey Shore becomes a big hit, the kids get an entourage of press agents to keep their celebrity 15 minutes going. That doesn't take any marketing talent. "Hey, I is famous from bein' on da TV...I need to keep myself famous, I'm hiring an agent and publicity!" That's what anyone does who is in the public eye.

Brett Favre texted me, I'm getting a press agent. Book me on Oprah.

I slid down an escape chute from a plane, I'm getting a press agent, book me on Jimmy Kimmel.

I'm Joe the Plumber, get me a press agent.

That deserves credit? Heaven help us.
Regardless of how retarded they come off, I give them credit for turning their "fame" into quite a bit of money. I watch the show and enjoy it for what it is.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:04 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
I do not follow the show at all, and from what I have watched, there is no way I am going to watch it again..... BUT.... I do not see the cast making the kinda of money they are making now doing something else, for that I feel good for them.... don't we all hope we hit some kinda jackpot ?

If you can give me loads of $$$ for acting dumb, then I have 3 words for you....

When do I start ?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I'm sure they've already been on the talk shows, I'm using rhetoric.

There are a lot of people who make more money than we do, some of them do it by being despicable human beings. Not to be too much of a jerk, but I've always rolled my eyes at the "they are making more money than you!!" in reference to people who suck....I usually expect to hear it from 12 year old girls when they are told that Justin Bieber/Backstreet Boys/Menudo etc insert boy band from whatever decade... blows or whatever. "He's making more money than you!!"

They're making money for being morons. I hope people don't use that argument around their impressionable kids.

What does that have to do with them being talentless vapid idiots?
I asked when YOU were going to be on Kimmel. I wouldn't waste my TiVo time on those two.

They are making more money than you or me in a very cheezy way. I accept it for what it is, but don't agree with how they did it. On the other hand, you seem a tad miffed that they are making money the cheezy way, however we both don't agree with how they're doing it. Not everyone is going to pursue a degree and use it to make a valuable contribution to society. It just stinks seeing morons on the TV and being rewarded for being morons. You're not being a jerk rolling your eyes, and I am not writing 'they make more money than us' in the neener-neener thumb on nose fashion Beiber/Menudo fashion. Just stating a fact. You or I could be stellar at what we do and be paid a pittance in comparison. That irks me.

You don't like that I wrote that I give them some credit, fair enough.

Would I suggest to my children, my nieces and nephews that they should go out and make a living as dimwits on a reality show? Of course not. Would I allow my youngest to watch it? No. My oldest is an adult -- he can do what he wishes. Even he feels it is idiocy to the nth degree.

Personally, I loathe reality shows. It's a trend which is going to have to gradually die off -- hopefully sooner rather than later.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:16 PM

I would sooner see Snooki and JWOWW pushing their 15 minutes for $$$ as opposed to The Buttafuocos and Amy Fischer.

Capitalizing on being guidettes is one thing. Capitalizing on a crime is something entirely different.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:49 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,082 times
I think they want to live in E. Setauket because it's close to Port Jefferson. PJ is the closet thing we have to Coney Island in the summertime. They're probably hoping to pick up a cute biker, ha ha.

Oh, don't go getting your panties in a twist, anyone. I come from the E. Setauket area and love going to Port myself. I love both areas, so I'm just kidding around!

Old 01-04-2011, 02:05 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I asked when YOU were going to be on Kimmel. I wouldn't waste my TiVo time on those two.

They are making more money than you or me in a very cheezy way. I accept it for what it is, but don't agree with how they did it. On the other hand, you seem a tad miffed that they are making money the cheezy way, however we both don't agree with how they're doing it. Not everyone is going to pursue a degree and use it to make a valuable contribution to society. It just stinks seeing morons on the TV and being rewarded for being morons. You're not being a jerk rolling your eyes, and I am not writing 'they make more money than us' in the neener-neener thumb on nose fashion Beiber/Menudo fashion. Just stating a fact. You or I could be stellar at what we do and be paid a pittance in comparison. That irks me.

You don't like that I wrote that I give them some credit, fair enough.

Would I suggest to my children, my nieces and nephews that they should go out and make a living as dimwits on a reality show? Of course not. Would I allow my youngest to watch it? No. My oldest is an adult -- he can do what he wishes. Even he feels it is idiocy to the nth degree.

Personally, I loathe reality shows. It's a trend which is going to have to gradually die off -- hopefully sooner rather than later.
I'm not really upset with the girls themselves...they're idiots. It's a culture that makes people like this famous, and tells a kid, in a pretty direct way, 'being stupid/classless/criminal is okay if it makes you rich.", and then people who watch and therefore promote this stuff dismissing their responsibility in the whole thing by telling you to lighten up.

If people didn't watch these shows, then MTV wouldn't produce them. My issue is more with people who watch them, or worse, admire and emulate these people after watching them.

The people at MTV laugh at how pathetic and stupid the whole Guido genre is..they detest suburban working class types, stick their nose up at them, call them "bridge and tunnel" at their hipster parties..as a matter of fact, they hate them so much they thought it would be a hilarious to produce a reality show illustrating how disgusting they are....then, lo and behold, it ends up not being viewed as humiliating, it's glorious. Talk about an upside down world.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:14 PM

Quote:
I'm not really upset with the girls themselves...they're idiots. It's a culture that makes people like this famous, and tells a kid, in a pretty direct way, 'being stupid/classless/criminal is okay if it makes you rich.", and then people who watch and therefore promote this stuff dismissing their responsibility in the whole thing by telling you to lighten up.

If people didn't watch these shows, then MTV wouldn't produce them. My issue is more with people who watch them, or worse, admire and emulate these people after watching them.

The people at MTV laugh at how pathetic and stupid the whole Guido genre is..they detest suburban working class types, stick their nose up at them, call them "bridge and tunnel" at their hipster parties..as a matter of fact, they hate them so much they thought it would be a hilarious to produce a reality show illustrating how disgusting they are....then, lo and behold, it ends up not being viewed as humiliating, it's glorious. Talk about an upside down world.
I can understand why my giving them credit didn't sit well with you having now read that. As long as you know I am not about promoting any of that nonsense, I think we are on the same side of the fence. Or bridge. Or tunnel.

The last thing you wrote reminds me of how the cool kids would 'befriend' a social downcast, leading the poor thing on to believe they fit in, only to laugh behind his or her back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island