Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:52 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,544,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silyss08 View Post
Thanks. Out of curiosity, why the preference to Wantagh over Massapequa?
Mostly because I grew up in Bellmore but hung out in Wantagh. I also think Massapequa loses alittle identity due to its size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 04:47 PM

74 posts, read 307,238 times
Thank you ALL for these amazing responses!!

We are going to get pre-approved for a mortgage but until then we are assuming we'll be able to afford a house around $350,000-$375,000 or so.

This thread will be extremely helpful for us :-)

Old 01-19-2011, 07:59 AM

Hi! So I"ve been doing searches on MLSLI.COM and I see many properties in N. and S. Bellmore. How do these areas/schools compare to Wantagh & Massapequa??

THanks so much!!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:05 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default MLSLI.com

Quote:
Hi! So I"ve been doing searches on MLSLI.COM ...

If you were not yet aware, oftentimes, the MLSLI.com lists a place's location by the community named in that place's mailing address, which is, more often than not, different from the city, village or hamlet where that place is actually located.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a place is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that place's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:21 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Hi! So I"ve been doing searches on MLSLI.COM and I see many properties in N. and S. Bellmore. How do these areas/schools compare to Wantagh & Massapequa??

THanks so much!!
They compare very closely in SD quality. Wantagh is probably the best SD overall and the best HS -- with JFK and Massapequa HS not too far behind Wantagh HS.
K-6: Elementary school wise, Massapequa Park/Wantagh may be the best 2 (East Lake, Birch Lane, Wantagh Elementary). Again, really negligible difference in quality. It may come down to visiting each area and stopping by each school when the kids are let out. Here's a good resource to get an idea of the SD's in each area and some basic testing results, overview:

GreatSchools.org Search: wantagh

GreatSchools.org Search: massapequa park

GreatSchools.org Search: massapequa

GreatSchools.org Search: bellmore

GreatSchools.org Search: north bellmore

more detailed analysis of each SD- https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/County.do?year=2009&county=Nassau (broken link)

Comparing the areas is subjective and YMMV on each one. I would spend some time in the area you are looking at and checking out the schools in person. My personal preference out of the areas you asked about is:

1.Massapequa Park Village / Wantagh / Massapequa
4.Bellmore
5.North Bellmore

Here's a screenshot I took so you get an idea of the SD boundaries:

The Riviera Of LI (Merrick to Massapequa Park)
Attached Thumbnails
Commack/Plainview/Wantagh/N. Bellmore/Massapequa?-riviera-li.jpg  

Last edited by Pequaman; 01-19-2011 at 09:21 PM..

Old 01-20-2011, 08:10 AM

Thank you sooooo much for all this great info!!

Old 01-20-2011, 05:32 PM

283 posts, read 581,699 times
Plainview! We looked in Plainview and Massapequa for a home

Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommyq View Post
Plainview! We looked in Plainview and Massapequa for a home
How was Plainview better than Massapequa overall? My fiance feels we can get more for our $$ on the south shore.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:01 AM

5 posts, read 9,197 times
Hi, I'm Silyss's fiance. How about East Meadow.. good schools? Somewhat Jewish? I really don't know too much about the area. I think maybe Plainview is top of our list.. the good thing about the south shore is its an easier commute into NYC and for her too, to go to Mastic Beach. We are looking at houses around $350-400k.

Thanks everyone!!

Old 01-23-2011, 12:28 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonSez7311 View Post
Hi, I'm Silyss's fiance. How about East Meadow.. good schools? Somewhat Jewish? I really don't know too much about the area. I think maybe Plainview is top of our list.. the good thing about the south shore is its an easier commute into NYC and for her too, to go to Mastic Beach. We are looking at houses around $350-400k.

Thanks everyone!!
East Meadow is a decent blue collar city similar to Levittown next door, but it has a more diverse inventory of homes. Diversity of race and wealth is not found there, and I don't believe it has large Jewish community. That being said, as a Jew, you won't be uncomfortable in most decent areas, and there's many synagogues nearby. Not sure about an easy train for you, but easy expressway travel for Silyss.

I would stay south shore on the Babylon line, and South of Merrick RD. has mainly Italian and Jewish in Merrick, Bellmore,Wantagh, even Seaford, and definately Massapequa. Plenty of good homes on the market now, but may be slightly higher than your price range. You may find a fixer upper, and the commute for the both of you will work. Also, check Babylon itself and West Islip, for $400k and slightly under, you should do well. There's a lot of demand in and near Babylon because that's where the express trains begin for the city. I believe also easier travel east to Mastic than Plainview too. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island