Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 11:50 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
My killer cat is going to inherit all my millions...unless some unknown burglars get to it first.
You left Fifi the pitbull out of the will?!??!

If you like I will be your cat's legal guardian ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 12:15 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Fifi ate the nieghbors cat last year. He is out of the will.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:17 PM

294 posts, read 743,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DogsImDone View Post
My husband plows and charges that for a driveway of a decent length plus a few bucks more to shovel to the door. It is a few bucks more than the illegals, but the money is staying here, not getting wired to Mexico and further south.

People seem to think the plow and gas cost nothing as well as wear and tear on the truck. Some tried to chew his price down and others asked if he would take a check! Lessons learned from previous years: checks usually bounce and the guy who tries chewing you down is going to claim you damaged something come spring even though it was no where near the plow.

He's not looking to make a killing. He wants to make money to cover the costs and a few dollars more for the household.
I don't know why you're being so defensive. No one even brought up the subject of truck plows prior to your post.

Last winter I paid three hispanic guys $15 each and they did my sidewalk and driveway. I don't like supporting illegals (if they were) but they were out bright and early hustling. My back was in no shape to do any shoveling and I have my invalid mother living with me and wanted everything shoveled in case of an emergency (my father had a heart attack in the home during a blizzard and the ambulance crew had to shovel a path to the door).

A half hour after they left I saw another group of hispanics cruising in a car with snow shovels, also looking for work. I would gladly have paid some white kids but they're obviously too soft and spoiled to get out and do some physical labor.

This winter my back is better and I'm able to shovel my own walk. I also have two neighbors with snow blowers who selflessly take care of others on the block. And no, I didn't see any white kids out hustling work this winter either...

Old 01-13-2011, 12:29 PM

when was the last time you saw a white teenager with a lawnmower trying to hustle up some business during his summer vacation.

Just keep in mind...we are raising scholars and gifted children on Long Island...they shouldn't get their hands dirty..ever.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:31 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Come to think about it, we have no illegals in this rural county (yes we still have numerous farms) and we never hear any spanish while shopping in town.
I heard plenty of Spanish in the wee hours of the snowstorm. Our supers, who live on the property, are Mexican, and they do an AMAZING job. The parking lot and sidewalks were concrete in time for people to leave for work the first day--which says a lot because commuters here board at Ronkonkoma and therefore must get up before God to get to the city on time.

I had to dig out directly behind my car, but that's it. Once tenants move their cars to clear spaces, the team comes through and scrapes the spots clean. I just dug out at 1:30, and my spot is immaculate less than an hour later. (C-D's clock doesn't account for daylight savings time.)

They can speak all the Spanish they like.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 PM

It an hour and fifteen minutes from Ronk to Penn...that requires getting up "before God"??

Old 01-13-2011, 01:02 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
It an hour and fifteen minutes from Ronk to Penn...that requires getting up "before God"??
Yes, if you have to be in by 8:00 and you bathe.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:12 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
Yes, I did today.

While Long Island's spoiled brats, who go to the best schools in the nation and are anticipating entry into Mensa, diddled on their computers playing some mindless game, I hired three young illegal immigrants to shovel the snow in front of my house.

After we settled on the appropriate amount of dinero , these fine young sons of Mexico, proceeded to work their butts off. Of course, the local young geniuses were too busy improving their mental skills playing Donkey Kong XXII to think about earning a few bucks.

So yes, I hired illegal immigrants and Im thankful that they are here...doing something our vicadin free, Whole Food nutritioned, socialized in diversity losers couldn't get their rear ends out to do today.
The kids don't deserve all the blame for being lazy, the parents deserve most of it.

Old 01-13-2011, 01:18 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Perhaps is would sound better if the OP had stated he hired some teens from outside the area rather than illegals. Comments about the lazy local youth could still be applicable...

Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
True, but maybe he was looking to start a lengthy thread?
The "You know you're from LI thread" needs some competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island