Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 05:46 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times

Advertisements

^ we're the choir. At least most of us are.

BTW, a yellow light doesn't trigger these cameras. Even if it did somehow, they get reviewed and you don't get sent a ticket for them. Video evidence can't be argued so they don't bother with those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 08:36 PM

622 posts, read 852,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
Revenue generation? So lower the salary for cops from its current level to something that's more reaps able. Cops here make six figures. No way in hell do they deserve being paid more than city cops. The newly indicted police chief is getting almost $500,000 for unused vacation despite awaiting federal trial. Property taxes for even a small piece of **** house are approaching five figures. Yet the counties and towns need more money, so I have to pay a $50 fine plus a $30 BS surcharge for making a right on red WHEN NOBODY'S COMING or not wanting to come to a full stop at a yellow light?

I'm sorry, but these cameras are downright extortion.
Right and miss the deadline and they add another $50 on top of the charge.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:21 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,305 times
Quote:
So lower the salary for cops from its current level to something that's more reaps able.
They are locked into union contracts. A reduction of benefits will not happen (nor should it. Change things for NEW hires, but don't screw those who signed up based on the benefits available at the time.)

Quote:
so I have to pay a $50 fine plus a $30 BS surcharge for making a right on red WHEN NOBODY'S COMING or not wanting to come to a full stop at a yellow light?
From what I have read, the majority of these camera tickets are for RoR (in Suffolk, at least). As much as I detest cameras, a video of someone not making a full stop at the light is pretty convincing evidence of guilt. Hard to argue that. You can make the "nobody was around" argument all day, but the fact is you broke a law -and one that pretty much makes sense.

On the other hand, I understand that they are pushing the envelope. The law states you must come to a full stop. It is my understanding that people are being ticketed for 1 or 2 second stops... and that the courts are convicting for that. There is NO provision in the traffic law for a "3 second stop," yet they seem to be ticketing for any less than that.

Some claim that the camera videos have to be slowed down (see prior links to video of the Suffolk County Legislature meeting on this topic) to "find" the violation.

That's where is becomes totally out of hand. If they have to lie and manufacturer a violation where there is none, you know the system is completely corrupted.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but these cameras are downright extortion.
100%. The government has become indistinguishable from a crime syndicate. The scary part is they barely pretend to cloak it in a veneer of legitimacy. It is like Al Capone in Chicago.. they have the guns and the power and believe themselves to be untouchable and above the law.

You apparently pay the "surcharge" whether or not you are found not guilty. Either way, the surcharge seems to be nothing more than rubbing salt in the wound... "sure, you paid the ticket - but we want some extra blood just to show you who's _really_ boss!"

Yet, every November 80%+ of us stay home to complain while the <20% of us go out to vote. Those 20% seem to be brain-dead sheep, because we continue to vote in the same dimwit crooks who sign the contracts for these cameras. (unless the voting system is a fraud, which I sometimes think it is based on the people who "win" elections).

Old 01-25-2016, 10:49 PM

258 posts, read 456,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
They are locked into union contracts. A reduction of benefits will not happen (nor should it. Change things for NEW hires, but don't screw those who signed up based on the benefits available at the time.)
I just have to say thank you so much for understanding I meant 'reasonable' rather than whatever my phone's autocorrect decided to put instead. I hate that I found that too late to edit the post now.

Quote:
Yet, every November 80%+ of us stay home to complain while the <20% of us go out to vote. Those 20% seem to be brain-dead sheep, because we continue to vote in the same dimwit crooks who sign the contracts for these cameras. (unless the voting system is a fraud, which I sometimes think it is based on the people who "win" elections).
This. I went out to vote, and nobody was there. I certainly didn't vote for Bellone, and I pretty much voted against incumbents with the exception of Romaine for Town Supervisor (I think for the most part he's doing a decent job), party lines be damned. I checked in on election coverage every once in awhile that night and was so angry that the same people were being voted back in, and to top it off to voter turnout was so low, it was infuriating.

Last edited by Jarot; 01-25-2016 at 10:58 PM..

Old 01-26-2016, 06:39 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
Quote:
It is my understanding that people are being ticketed for 1 or 2 second stops... and that the courts are convicting for that. There is NO provision in the traffic law for a "3 second stop," yet they seem to be ticketing for any less than that.
I'd like to see actual cases of this, rather than just hearing from word of mouth it has happened to someone. This pass-it-on stuff is what perpetuates people's anger.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:30 AM

92 posts, read 167,277 times
Quote:
I just have to say thank you so much for understanding I meant 'reasonable' rather than whatever my phone's autocorrect decided to put instead. I hate that I found that too late to edit the post now.

This. I went out to vote, and nobody was there. I certainly didn't vote for Bellone, and I pretty much voted against incumbents with the exception of Romaine for Town Supervisor (I think for the most part he's doing a decent job), party lines be damned. I checked in on election coverage every once in awhile that night and was so angry that the same people were being voted back in, and to top it off to voter turnout was so low, it was infuriating.
Unfortunately, many people do not turn out to vote because they know their vote will not change anything. The same people get voted back in no matter what. I cannot tell you how many times I have voted year in, year out...just to see the same clowns (that everyone says they cannot stand and want out of office) win again and again. The Island is too corrupt, the only way to get relief is to move out of state.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I'd like to see actual cases of this, rather than just hearing from word of mouth it has happened to someone. This pass-it-on stuff is what perpetuates people's anger.
I agree, which is why I phrased my comment as I did.

Normally, I wouldn't have mentioned it because it is rumor. However, the issue was brought up a few times in the Suffolk County legislative sessions (available on YouTube). It was basically presented as "fact" and no one questioned it in the slightest. They mentioned the "slowing down" of video to justify a ticket, the less than 3 second timing and the inconsistency of yellow light timing where camera lights had shorter yellows than lights without camera. That convinced me there is something to this.

In other locations around the country there have been similar allegations which were proven to be true. One red light camera company was also convicted of paying off officials to get a contract. There's plenty for people to be angry about.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonZinger321 View Post
Unfortunately, many people do not turn out to vote because they know their vote will not change anything. The same people get voted back in no matter what. I cannot tell you how many times I have voted year in, year out...just to see the same clowns (that everyone says they cannot stand and want out of office) win again and again. The Island is too corrupt, the only way to get relief is to move out of state.
I agree. The Board of Elections is fixed and the rig elections. If you are not "one of the boys" they find a way to disqualify you from the ballot. This happens again and again in my district. There is usually one choice for each office - no alternate candidate. When Bellone used to run for Town of Babylon (back when we had voting booths) him and all his people had "Team Bellone" logos on their names in the booth. Basically a campaign ad in the voting booth.

The system is corrupt, but is can be fixed. The problem is apathy. With less than 20% voter turnout, the politicians know the people don't care. If people took a few minutes to become educated about candidates and get off their couch to vote, things would have to change. With such a low voter turnout percentage, it wouldn't take many more bodies to change the outcome of any local election, including electing someone who isn't beholden to the current system.

Old 01-27-2016, 04:47 AM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
They set the fines purposely to make it not worth the hassle of going to court to fight it for the average worker. How many people are gonna lose a day's pay to maybe, maybe, beat a $100 or so ticket. It's not worth it. Just about every person I know who got one of these has just paid it to be done with it. It's found money for the man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island