Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 11:37 PM

1 posts, read 1,861 times

Advertisements

Hey,

I'm a 30 something single software designer who currently lives in NYC (east village) - (don't groan).

I'm looking for a change, I'm tired of all the noise, sirens, honks, sleepless nights and crowds that NYC offers (although there's plenty of good stuff going on too).

I'd like to get out of the city for a year or two, someplace close to the sea and a bit more of a laid back lifestyle.

I only work in the city 1 or 2 days a week at most.

My restrictions are:

I don't drive a car so I've got to be pretty close (bus, bike, maybe vespa) from transportation (LIRR) and it would be cool to be close to a bit of nightlife , food, or shopping.

I'm not looking for anything fancy either - a rental around 1500 - 2300. I'd like to find a unique artistic place to live, but LI is a HUGE place and I'm getting a little overwhelmed at all the neighborhoods..

Anyone have suggestions?

THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 05:18 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
Huntington or northport villages.

Old 06-30-2007, 05:53 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,384 times
sounds like long beach would suit you.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:30 AM

137 posts, read 744,341 times
I agree.....look into Long Beach for sure.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:42 AM
MsV

2,604 posts, read 1,079,559 times
Hey Sleepyrice, The East Village must be a great place to live, never a dull moment. As a lifetime NY/NJ-ite, I suggest you take the plunge, get your passport in order and cross the river Check out Hoboken, NJ. Has lots of yuppies, but lots of people who lived in the most interesting parts of Manhattan too! Nightlife, shopping, public transpo, cultural events, train ride into the city - I think you'd love it. Checking it out would be a great Sunday afternoon adventure. Just my thoughts...

Old 06-30-2007, 09:09 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Huntington or northport villages.
Plenty to do in those towns.

I agree - but I think you should get some kind of clunker car to drive - like a "station car" - to and from trains and shopping - winters can be tough on mopeds. Tough to live on the Island without one - esp for the price of a Vespa you can some kind of car. I had an 82 Jeep that I paid 75 dollars a YEAR to insure not that long ago so not much extra - you still need a license and reggie, and I think insurance for the moped.

Esp Northport is fairly self contained. And one of my all time favorites. On the water, restaurant's, clubs, movie theater (still?).

Northport Chamber of Commerce, Northport NY, Long Island, NewYork

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 06-30-2007 at 09:19 AM..

Old 06-30-2007, 11:53 AM

106 posts, read 578,558 times
Long Beach definitely...walk to LIRR and shops...go to Ginos Pizza, it is delicious...also a number of great restaurants there...Beach Street is quite a hangout with a great bar scene on the weekends...we love it there!!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 07:13 PM

491 posts, read 828,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlwag View Post
...go to Ginos Pizza, it is delicious...also a number of great restaurants there!!!
I dont know about that, Gino's USED to be before they expanded.
In Manhasset and Port Washington they been cranking out dried up re-heated regular slices at 12 noon. It amazes me how Long Islanders come to accept this.
The sause has also become more spicy or Spanish like.

I havent found good Pizza in Long Island in ages.
Sal's in Little Neck perhaps if you ask him to make up a whole fresh pie.

-Joe

Old 07-01-2007, 12:01 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
Default Don't move here.

Try Jersey, perhaps. LI has become a preserve for rich swine.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:42 PM

823 posts, read 3,688,935 times
I also thought of Long Beach.

We found a great pizzeria and Chinese restaurant here in Hicksville.

Sleepy,

Wouldn't a high rise in the city take care of the noise and sleepless nights?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island