Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 07:01 PM

5 posts, read 15,331 times

Advertisements

What do you think of the little plains rd /broadway area? I am familiar with Huntington and never heard anything bad about Greenlawn but I have read some scary things here. I thought it was a busy area but it didn’t look unsafe, then again I don’t know much about the area. I need an affordable house with manageable taxes so I was looking in East Patchogue (Bellport SD no way!) I was attracted by the chance to own in the Harbor Fields school district. Any advice or sections to avoid would be great. Security is absolutely a priority of mine. Thanks.

P.S There is no way I could afford Centerport
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 07:55 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,112,272 times
What is your budget ?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 PM

175 posts, read 657,756 times
Harborfields is statistically one of the two or three best school districts in Suffolk, moving there is a great move for you and your family. The Little Plains/Broadway area is actually Huntington. You are better off being in Greenlawn than the Little Plains area. I would look in the Poet Section (some of it is Harborfields) or in the town of Greenlawn itself. It might cost you a little more than the Little Plains area, but is still relatively affordable and well worth it. If the house truly has a "Greenlawn" address you are OK, if it's a Huntington address I would double check on the area. I'm not a real estate expert, but I would think that you could get something in Harborfields in Greenlawn for $400k give or take with this market. Good luck.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:41 PM

Thank you
I see those names used, poets section and college section, but I don't know which parts they are? (I tried to google it) I'm trying to stay under 300K so a house in the less expensive areas is really my only hope of getting into that SD I just don't know if it's worth it is the area (off of broadway ) is not good- talking drugs, crime etc.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:04 PM

175 posts, read 657,756 times
I think you would have a very hard time (impossible) getting into the Poets or College section in that budget. Actually, any part of Harborfields for $300k is going to be really tough. With that said, if you can find a house, there is no part of Harborfields that is really bad, and I would think overall it's a way better option than Patchogue. Drugs and crime are not an issue unless you are in the Station, and if you were in the Station you wouldnt be in Harborfields. It is a remarkable school district and there is great community spirit, if you can get in I would reccomend it. And this is from someone that moved from Harborfields to Cold Spring Harbor and has regretted it ever since. (Not that there is anything wrong with CSH, it's great. Just not worth the extra money over HF IMO.)

As far as College/Poet, the college section has street names after Colleges (Hofstra Dr, Colgate Rd, Rutgers Ln, etc) and the Poet Section has streets names after Poets (Frost Ln, Keats Pl, Lowell Ave, etc)

Old 02-26-2010, 11:05 PM

Thank you , I see now that area is a Huntington zip code , but still Harborfields schools

Old 02-26-2010, 11:12 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,168,547 times
Within the Poet section there are different neighborhoods... price mostly reflects in which one the house is

Do you currently live anywhere in the Town of Huntington?

Old 02-27-2010, 07:54 AM

22,678 posts, read 36,826,713 times
That area you are talking about is probably Harborfields, it's definitely not Huntington schools. I would take that area over Pat-Med if it's Harborfields.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:13 AM

Thanks everyone for the help , I know should push for HF SD but would anyone want to live off little plains rd? the taxes are good (because know I see it is huntington)... but is it busy, noisy, SAFE, traffic jams etc. ? Anything you can tell me about that area would be very helpful.

Old 02-27-2010, 07:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,699,080 times
gardenlee, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) a house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island