Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:46 AM

11 posts, read 20,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I would put Harborfields at two in the county...or at least thereabouts.

You may have already seen this post form elsewhere on the forum:

Best High Schools on Long Island
Per Washington Post. Thought this was interesting even if the methodology is a little subjective. IMO for the most part it matches up with "perceptions" of best high schools. I'm just listing the top 20 for each county.

Nassau

1) Jericho
2) Southside
3) Great Neck South
4) Wheatley
5) Great Neck North
6) Syosset
7)Manhasset
8) Schrieber Port Washington
9) Herricks
10) Locust Valley
11) Garden City
12) Roslyn
13 Calhoun Merrick
14) North Shore
15) Hewlett
16) Mepham Bellmore
17) Floral Park
18) Plainview
19) Lynbrook
20) JFK Bellmore

Suffolk
1) Cold Spring Harbor
2) Port Jeff Vandermuelen
3) Half Hollow Hills East
4) Harborfields Greenlawn
5) Smithtown
6) Miller Place
7) Half Hollow Hills West
8) Hauppauge
9) East Hampton
10) WestHampton Beach
11) Huntington
12) Ward Melville
13) Commack
14) Southampton
15) Babylon
16) Shoreham Wading River
17) Comsewouge
18) Pierson Sag Harbor
19) Elwood John Glenn
20) Walt Whitman
What is the purpose of posting a ranked list but not clarifying the methodology? And whatever it is--I wouldn't use the word subjective. A better description would be "deserving of the utmost ridicule." Smithtown and Miller Place better than Hills West? Huntington better than South Huntington? Commack better than John Glenn? Be real, this is downright misleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 03:44 AM

5,056 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGenHuntington View Post
What is the purpose of posting a ranked list but not clarifying the methodology? And whatever it is--I wouldn't use the word subjective. A better description would be "deserving of the utmost ridicule." Smithtown and Miller Place better than Hills West? Huntington better than South Huntington? Commack better than John Glenn? Be real, this is downright misleading.
The first three schools you note are all adjacent on the list...I am sure the particular order in cases like that might flip around depending on criteria. The Huntington issue (11 v 20) you note is interesting - the list might be a little outdated in that case. Elwood is conspicuous at 19 - again there may not be much difference (at all) between 10 and 19. Elwood is an interesting case and some might disagree with you. I know a bit about the school districts on Long Island and would say these are generally considered the 'best' but would not read too much in the particular order...especially adjacent districts on the list. As an example, the difference between 1 and 2 in Suffolk might be far greater than the differences between 10 and 19 in Suffolk County. Please take another look - the list ain't that wacky.

Old 02-10-2011, 06:28 AM

92 posts, read 433,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I would put Harborfields at two in the county...or at least thereabouts.

You may have already seen this post form elsewhere on the forum:

Best High Schools on Long Island
Per Washington Post. Thought this was interesting even if the methodology is a little subjective. IMO for the most part it matches up with "perceptions" of best high schools. I'm just listing the top 20 for each county.

Nassau

1) Jericho
2) Southside
3) Great Neck South
4) Wheatley
5) Great Neck North
6) Syosset
7)Manhasset
8) Schrieber Port Washington
9) Herricks
10) Locust Valley
11) Garden City
12) Roslyn
13 Calhoun Merrick
14) North Shore
15) Hewlett
16) Mepham Bellmore
17) Floral Park
18) Plainview
19) Lynbrook
20) JFK Bellmore

Suffolk
1) Cold Spring Harbor
2) Port Jeff Vandermuelen
3) Half Hollow Hills East
4) Harborfields Greenlawn
5) Smithtown
6) Miller Place
7) Half Hollow Hills West
8) Hauppauge
9) East Hampton
10) WestHampton Beach
11) Huntington
12) Ward Melville
13) Commack
14) Southampton
15) Babylon
16) Shoreham Wading River
17) Comsewouge
18) Pierson Sag Harbor
19) Elwood John Glenn
20) Walt Whitman

This is the first ranking for Suffolk County that I have seen where the Northport/E. Northport district is not mentioned at all. Most have it ranked pretty high and definitely ahead of Elwood. I have heard good things about Elwood but it is small. Also I have never seen any ranking where Huntington is ranked ahead of Northport, Elwood, and Commack so I really wonder about the criteria and validity of this ranking.

Old 02-10-2011, 08:07 AM

64 posts, read 194,594 times
By all accounts and my research so far, the Huntington/South Huntington districts are the "black eyes" for that area. This isn't meant as a swipe to those school districts, far from it as we're definitely looking into them, but if they were truly "tops in the county" type districts, what exactly would be the downside whatsoever to Huntington? Not to say there aren't stunning, expensive houses on the water, but don't you think the housing stock would look far more like CSH/Manhasset/PW? I mean, from what I can tell, school district, commuting ease and local amenities are the 3 biggest drivers of property values, and Huntington scores near the top in the last 2.

Please, if someone can sell me on how those districts rank in the top of the county, I would love to hear it...it would certainly be a welcome thing and make us looking there much more of a realistic option.

Keep in mind, this is a complete "outsiders" perspective. I have 0 experience with these or their surrounding districts, only what I have seen in report cards, researched, and found in threads here. So I am sincere in asking for more information here; not trying to be snarky at all.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:18 PM

5,056 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBS19 View Post
By all accounts and my research so far, the Huntington/South Huntington districts are the "black eyes" for that area. This isn't meant as a swipe to those school districts, far from it as we're definitely looking into them, but if they were truly "tops in the county" type districts, what exactly would be the downside whatsoever to Huntington? Not to say there aren't stunning, expensive houses on the water, but don't you think the housing stock would look far more like CSH/Manhasset/PW? I mean, from what I can tell, school district, commuting ease and local amenities are the 3 biggest drivers of property values, and Huntington scores near the top in the last 2.

Please, if someone can sell me on how those districts rank in the top of the county, I would love to hear it...it would certainly be a welcome thing and make us looking there much more of a realistic option.

Keep in mind, this is a complete "outsiders" perspective. I have 0 experience with these or their surrounding districts, only what I have seen in report cards, researched, and found in threads here. So I am sincere in asking for more information here; not trying to be snarky at all.
They are not r

Old 02-10-2011, 02:21 PM

11 posts, read 20,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan1970 View Post
This is the first ranking for Suffolk County that I have seen where the Northport/E. Northport district is not mentioned at all. Most have it ranked pretty high and definitely ahead of Elwood. I have heard good things about Elwood but it is small. Also I have never seen any ranking where Huntington is ranked ahead of Northport, Elwood, and Commack so I really wonder about the criteria and validity of this ranking.
I too am surprised to not see Northport/E. Northport on this list. However, in just about every ranked list to date, whether it be based on AP/IBs taken, average SAT scores, average Regents scores, etc.--Northport HS has placed on par with Glenn HS, at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island