Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 05:12 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,211,220 times

Advertisements

It costs 8k a month for Emergency housing?

Maybe this is a good move?

I have mixed feelings.

Feds commit $11 million toward housing for LI's homeless

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 05:30 PM

88 posts, read 249,942 times
It is a great thing if the money is used to directly secure housing- I'm not so sure if of it's value if it goes toward another "study" or "committee". I know their will be plenty who object to what they see as a handout or taking money out of their pockets to help people they consider lazy, drug addicts, or worse...but the truth is the the majority of L.I.'s homeless are women with very young children. Often the difference between those who have a home and those who don't is a support network. A family member to babysit so that they can hold a job, someone to drive them back and forth, a friend or parent to lend them $50 to make the rent. Homeless women very rarely have that. They are quite literally stuck. And those hotels are gross. Sometimes the shelters are worse. Infested with roaches, sometimes bedbugs. Sometimes the homeless are lucky enough to get housing but no food stamps or emergency food aid. So they are stuck in a hotel/motel often without stores in walking distance with their children and no food. I just dropped off formula/diapers/food to a couple who had nothing- the wife had just come out of the hospital with preemie babies and they had nothing. If and this is a big if, the government can provide assistance with housing and job training, some do get the chance to "start over". But it's hard and anyone who thinks differently has never been in the same shoes as a homeless person on Long Island.

Last edited by kptree; 02-07-2011 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: contractions...drat!

Old 02-07-2011, 06:20 PM

929 posts, read 2,072,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
It costs 8k a month for Emergency housing?

Maybe this is a good move?

I have mixed feelings.

Feds commit $11 million toward housing for LI's homeless

Crooks
I read somewhere that Long Island has the highest rate of people living in their cars. Is that considered homeless?

Old 02-07-2011, 07:09 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,760,869 times
$8000 a month, $266 a night for a slummy hotel??

We need to set up some tent cities somewhere. People are getting kicked out of their homes because of high taxes due to extreme taxpayer waste like this. Tent-cities are popping up allover Cali. I'm sure there's some palm-greasing going on here with a couple slumlords that own these motels. What do I think? Tell them we can't afford it, go to Philly, Canada or another region that has the money for this.

Old 02-07-2011, 08:29 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,509,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

We need to set up some tent cities somewhere. People are getting kicked out of their homes because of high taxes due to extreme taxpayer waste like this. Tent-cities are popping up allover Cali. I'm sure there's some palm-greasing going on here with a couple slumlords that own these motels. What do I think? Tell them we can't afford it, go to Philly, Canada or another region that has the money for this.
Exxon and other corporations are to blame. They pay no taxes.

Criminals!

Old 02-07-2011, 09:25 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,806,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

Before too long, we'll all be homeless unless this nasty economic crunch is resolved. One at a time, the families, which are the building blocks of
our neighborhoods and towns, are crumbling and the foundation of our Long Island life is going to collapse beyond the point of restoration. We all need
to start over again, the system has failed the individual. When we begin to allow it to be more comfortable to be indigent, than to be a productive and
responsible contributor toward effecting a solution.

A sadder reality is, that I cannot envision a fix, there is no magic wand nor bullet. This 11 million dollar earmark will ultimately trickle down through
agency, after agency and in it's practical value, in dollars and cents, be greatly diminished by the time the end user finally gets their benefits. Along the
line, there are a lot of beaks to be wetted, and as you mentioned, a bunch of palms to be greased. Hey, 11,000,000 seems like an awful lot of money,
but when you figure that there are single family residences here on Long Island that cost even more, it's really not that big a windfall as it looks on the
surface. I'm fairly confident that our administrators will misappropriate a few Mil, here or there, they're damned good at that.

Old 02-08-2011, 05:18 AM

1,106 posts, read 1,509,963 times
Our country is being broken down on purpose

The globalists need America and Europe to crash to bring on their cashless society and one world economy and bank.

America has lost 42,000 factories in 10 years

The fix is in

Old 02-08-2011, 05:33 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,829,717 times
Let me give you my recent experience.
I had a tenant in a house. She came from a shelter 3 years ago with her 5 kids. I thought I was helping someone in dire need. The rent was $1600 a month for a 4 bed, 2 bath house. The county was paying $1472 and her share was $128 a month.

In the three years she was there, she never ever paid her portion of rent on time. I normally had to bring her to court after 8-9 months to get her to pay it. I felt sorry for the kids ; they ranged in ages from 4 to teenagers. Then during the summer of this year the tenant got santcioned by the county and they dropped their portion to $1097. Do you think she paid her portion of $503? In November she paid for Septembers and only paid $480. She got a donation from a church for Octobers rent. In Jan I brought her to court to get the nov and dec rent. Her lease expired in Jan and since July I had told her the lease was not being renewed.

I got the order of eviction and she was supposed to be out by Friday. On sat I went to the house and she was still there. I went totally against my beliefs and told her I would give her cash if she left on Monday after I changed the locks. Well yesterday after waiting two hours for her to get her act together and get a taxi, she left with her 5 kids, her husband( who reeked of beer at noon) and whatever belongings she could take with her. But left the empty bottles of patron!!

I am left with a house that is no habitable now as there are holes in the walls, trash all over the place, beer cans, fixtures off light switches, a broken stove that was brand new when she moved in, thermostats ripped off the walls.

Do you know what I thought off all night when I couldnt sleep ; that i kicked these kids out of their house and into a shelter. I am still shaking with the thought of it.

BUt now suffolk County will pay $8000 a month to these people who are in a shelter. In stead of paying market rate and trying to keep these people off the streets.

That for sale sign cannot go up fast enough. It will cost me about every single dime that the county paid me in the past 3 years to redo the house. And they say landlords are rich ; nope, we just want to pay our bills.

I read the article in todays newsday and immediately thought of this tenant. Also thought of the fact that when a landlord gets an order of evcition, it takes the sherrif approx 3 months to evict these people and the landlords have to pay $1500 to have it done.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:15 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,355,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Let me give you my recent experience.
I had a tenant in a house. She came from a shelter 3 years ago with her 5 kids. I thought I was helping someone in dire need. The rent was $1600 a month for a 4 bed, 2 bath house. The county was paying $1472 and her share was $128 a month.

In the three years she was there, she never ever paid her portion of rent on time. I normally had to bring her to court after 8-9 months to get her to pay it. I felt sorry for the kids ; they ranged in ages from 4 to teenagers. Then during the summer of this year the tenant got santcioned by the county and they dropped their portion to $1097. Do you think she paid her portion of $503? In November she paid for Septembers and only paid $480. She got a donation from a church for Octobers rent. In Jan I brought her to court to get the nov and dec rent. Her lease expired in Jan and since July I had told her the lease was not being renewed.

I got the order of eviction and she was supposed to be out by Friday. On sat I went to the house and she was still there. I went totally against my beliefs and told her I would give her cash if she left on Monday after I changed the locks. Well yesterday after waiting two hours for her to get her act together and get a taxi, she left with her 5 kids, her husband( who reeked of beer at noon) and whatever belongings she could take with her. But left the empty bottles of patron!!

I am left with a house that is no habitable now as there are holes in the walls, trash all over the place, beer cans, fixtures off light switches, a broken stove that was brand new when she moved in, thermostats ripped off the walls.

Do you know what I thought off all night when I couldnt sleep ; that i kicked these kids out of their house and into a shelter. I am still shaking with the thought of it.

BUt now suffolk County will pay $8000 a month to these people who are in a shelter. In stead of paying market rate and trying to keep these people off the streets.

That for sale sign cannot go up fast enough. It will cost me about every single dime that the county paid me in the past 3 years to redo the house. And they say landlords are rich ; nope, we just want to pay our bills.

I read the article in todays newsday and immediately thought of this tenant. Also thought of the fact that when a landlord gets an order of evcition, it takes the sherrif approx 3 months to evict these people and the landlords have to pay $1500 to have it done.

This kind of behavior is to be expected from people who get everything handed to them.
The gov't teet needs to be shut down big time, but wont. We are adding more people to the list every day, and just wait until the 6+million illegals are thrust upon the system.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:06 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,019,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Exxon and other corporations are to blame. They pay no taxes.

Criminals!
Whaaat? Where did you get this info from? It's more like your small business down the block like the deli that does a cash business who isn't paying taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island