Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 PM

520 posts, read 1,653,410 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to get a certificate of occupancy for an existing patio and I need to have a new survey of my property and also architectural drawings of the patio. It's basically a 20' x 6' rectangle with a couple of steps at one end. They said I needed to have an architect draw the patio and that I couldn't do it. The thing is 50 years old and not going anywhere.

Any know how much something like this would cost? If its a nice chunk of money we might just rip it out and build a new patio since we would have to redo the survey and drawings. Doesn't make sense to pay for everything twice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 10:39 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
I don't know about an architect (wouldn't recommend ours) but the surveyor we used was great in thoroughness, response, and results. Christopher Henn - Christopher Henn, L.S.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:46 PM

553 posts, read 1,026,883 times
I know an experienced architect at Chicago who can make drawings for a reasonable price. He is a very nice guy. but I do not know where you are.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:52 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
^^^Well this is the Long Island forum. Not really close to Chicago.

Old 02-11-2011, 07:04 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
I was in the same boat (fence, shed, portico, etc) and am still in the permit process. One tip is see if you have the original drawings/plot plan. I was originally quoted $700 or so bucks for a new survey (required by the town). When I told them I had the 1948 original they said send it to them and the price went to $480. With the old plan it saves them some time plotting out the boundaries, etc. Hey, $300 bucks is $300 bucks, especially when it's extortion money to begin with.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:42 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
I'm looking to get a certificate of occupancy for an existing patio and I need to have a new survey of my property and also architectural drawings of the patio. It's basically a 20' x 6' rectangle with a couple of steps at one end. They said I needed to have an architect draw the patio and that I couldn't do it. The thing is 50 years old and not going anywhere.

Any know how much something like this would cost? If its a nice chunk of money we might just rip it out and build a new patio since we would have to redo the survey and drawings. Doesn't make sense to pay for everything twice.
Are they really looking for a drawing with an architects seal and signature or just something thats not on a piece of looseleaf paper? If a seal isn't necessary, just get a draftsman to draw it up for you. Probably cheaper than an architect.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Are they really looking for a drawing with an architects seal and signature or just something thats not on a piece of looseleaf paper? If a seal isn't necessary, just get a draftsman to draw it up for you. Probably cheaper than an architect.
They said it had to be an architect to make it was made properly and up to code.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:54 PM

400 posts, read 761,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mambwe View Post
They said it had to be an architect to make it was made properly and up to code.
Is this a patio or a stoop? Does it have to be a licensed architect or something... unsure if there are licensing credentials, in which case I guess you would need to find someone that is licensed???? Cuz I know a few architects, but they all work at firms in NYC and do skyscrapers.. But in nassau county that may not qualify them to draw your stoop

Old 02-11-2011, 01:06 PM

Not really sure of the difference between patio/stoop. It has two steps and is about 15-20 feet by 5-6 feet. I would say 2 1/2-3 feet high. I told the guy that it is a rectangular piece of concrete and if I can draw the dimensions of graph paper. He said they need an architect to make the drawings so they can tell how it was made and if it was up to code.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
As far as codes, it may need railings with properly spaced ballisters. The height of the risers of the stairs also comes into play. Check your messages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island