Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 04:24 AM

659 posts, read 2,516,216 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
No private company would last very long if it were run the way Nassau and Suffolk run any county office, including the school system. Do any of you believe that today's graduates have received a better education than you did 20 or 30 years ago? At this pay scale, shouldn't most of our schools be rated at the highest level?

BTW, how many of you know someone who sent the kids to a catholic(or private) high school to get a better(or safer) education? You pay these taxes and STILL feel the need to pay a private school tuition? CRAZY!!

Many people pick private religious education for the religious aspect of the school. (Ie: religious classes, religious events, morals and values that adhere to that religion, holiday celebration). It is not always because a home school district is bad. The majority of the kids that went to my private religious high school on LI came from places like Garden City, Manhasset, Rockville Center, etc....places with great public school systems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 04:41 AM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times
Default Can't compare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYJoe View Post
No private company would last very long if it were run the way Nassau and Suffolk run any county office, including the school system. Do any of you believe that today's graduates have received a better education than you did 20 or 30 years ago? At this pay scale, shouldn't most of our schools be rated at the highest level?

BTW, how many of you know someone who sent the kids to a catholic(or private) high school to get a better(or safer) education? You pay these taxes and STILL feel the need to pay a private school tuition? CRAZY!!
You can't compare private and public. The publics have federal and state mandates that privates get to avoid - allowing them to operate less expensively. They also get to kick out elements that publics have to service. Moreover, studies show that academic performance and placement in privates isn't better than publics; I'm talking across the board. A Catholic school in Glen Cove is going to be superior to nearly any public school - but a public school in Glen Cove is going to be better than any public OR private school.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:28 AM

929 posts, read 2,067,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
You can't compare private and public. The publics have federal and state mandates that privates get to avoid - allowing them to operate less expensively. They also get to kick out elements that publics have to service. Moreover, studies show that academic performance and placement in privates isn't better than publics; I'm talking across the board. A Catholic school in Glen Cove is going to be superior to nearly any public school - but a public school in Glen Cove is going to be better than any public OR private school.
Do you have data to support your claims?

Or, is this one of those "I read this on the back of a cereal box" claims?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Wrong. Her bumper sticker is protected speech. It didn't matter in AZ because the state is right to work and her charter school doesn't provide tenure.

Your sentiment that there are public expressions by teachers that must be censored proves my point about the need for elementary and high school tenure.
Does the "I said so" argument work in your house or something? Answer these questions if you can.
Do you have any proof?
Why is her bumper sticker protected speech?
Why does a "right to work" state have anything to do with it?
How would tenure have protected her anymore in the firing process?
Are teachers with tenure the only teachers protected by constitutional rights?

Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Because it is possible to circumvent these laws and I explained how earlier.

Also, I explained that I'd be fine with changing the system so that teachers were protected against the whims of administrators and a fickle public.
So, it's possible to circumvent these laws, but not tenure rules? Are you serious? Do you actually believe the stuff that you post, or are you sitting there going "let's see if anyone is going to believe this nonsense I spew?"

Old 02-16-2011, 06:03 AM

57,230 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
My husband's company located in Hauppauge, which is roughly 60 years old, this past January (a month ago) announced they are having to lay off $4 million worth of employees in order to survive in this economy. Severance packages went out several weeks ago, and 27 people are resigning their jobs. We are sure that there will be some more people let go. The company is viable and actually will be in a healthy financial condition once the rest of the layoffs take place.

Good employees who have been there for years are being let go, and it isn't bad business. It's a sound decision. It's necessary for the company to survive. If the necessary financial cuts aren't made, the company would probably survive another 6 - 8 months financially and then the doors would be closed for good. Bankrupt.

It's time for teachers and administrators of our school districts to face the real world and stop living in their politically protected bubble. Their pyramid scheme to bankrupt us, the taxpayers footing their bloated paychecks and benefits, has to stop. Pyramid schemes always come to a grinding halt one way or another.

Good point. What I meant was that companies or school districts would not fire a good employee for no apparent reason, granted there are situations that may dictate that even good employees would be fired. School districts don't seem to have a bottom line.

School boards, superintendents approve these contracts that average 7% a year and then turn around and tell tax payers that they need to raise taxes, its for the kids. Voters need to hold these school boards accountable for their decisions.

Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 AM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times
Default Answers

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Does the "I said so" argument work in your house or something? Answer these questions if you can.
Do you have any proof?
Why is her bumper sticker protected speech?
Why does a "right to work" state have anything to do with it?
How would tenure have protected her anymore in the firing process?
Are teachers with tenure the only teachers protected by constitutional rights?
Don't miss the point of my post as it relates to this thread. If you strip away tenure protections you don't ensure that you will replace bad teachers with good teachers. Teaching becomes politicized. This example proves the point. This teacher was fired ostensibly because of her opinion of ritalin.

Tenure would have protected her in this case because she violated no law. She just operated in what the administration and a handful of parents determined was bad taste. Again, that is precisely my point.

"For those citizens without wealth or power, a bumper sticker may be one of the few means available to convey a message to a public audience.†— Judge Myron H. Thompson in Baker v. Glover

Old 02-16-2011, 07:35 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Arizona, right to work state, fires teacher for bumper sticker. No tenure protection. This is precisely why you have tenure.

http://www.azcentral.com/video/791245979001
I watched the video and a couple of points. The teacher involved had been employed for less than 6 months which normally would still have them on probation. This is not a public school and the teacher was not working for the school district. Most schools have an expectation that an individuals conduct, appearance, persona are in line with the community values, what you do on your own time is your buisness.

I concede that the parents need to get a life but she was initally asked to remove some of the stickers not all. Having a job request some kind of specific conduct or apperance is not unusual whether they ask you to ware specific clothes, have no visable tatoos or ensuring that in conjuction with you at your job that you reflect the values/morals of that institution.

Your argument of no tenure protection doesn't hold water. If she had tenure and was in the wrong based on her contract then having the union involved would have prolonged the procedure and cost the facility far more money. Besides you don't get tenure after @3 months.

If the teacher feels she has a valid position then let her contact the Labor Relations Board (or whatever AZ calls it) and file a complaint.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:22 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
I hope hundreds of teachers lose their jobs so my property taxes decrease.

I almost typed that with a straight face.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 AM

294 posts, read 609,961 times
Quote:
Clearly it does because our GDP continues to rise. Why is it our schools aren't seeing the advantages of a growing economy?
You could possibly argue that the schools themselves may not be seeing the advantages of a growing economy, but, as always, the people working in those schools are doing just fine. That's the dichotomy we are forced to struggle with here on LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island