Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 07:53 AM

78 posts, read 203,296 times

Advertisements

My wife and I plan on moving a little farther out east in a few years (we're in western Nassau), and we have started to investigate neighborhoods to get an idea of what is out there. We both grew up in the Stony Brook/Setauket area, and although we like the conveniences our current area offers as far as retail/proximity to the city, we have always wanted to trade up for a property that offers what we enjoyed when we were younger.

What is hard to find, perhaps just not available, are smaller houses on larger plots. The theme has clearly been go big or go home for builders and I suppose there are plenty of people that want 3,500 sq ft and more, but for us, it's just a waste of space and more cost on property taxes and utilities. I imagine part of the lack of smaller houses built is that a builder doesn't get as much of a return on the sale after completion.

Are there any areas to look that have smaller houses on larger plots? Or should we consider adding to our search small knock downs that we can rebuild if the plot fits our criteria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 09:44 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trahsub View Post
My wife and I plan on moving a little farther out east in a few years (we're in western Nassau), and we have started to investigate neighborhoods to get an idea of what is out there. We both grew up in the Stony Brook/Setauket area, and although we like the conveniences our current area offers as far as retail/proximity to the city, we have always wanted to trade up for a property that offers what we enjoyed when we were younger.

What is hard to find, perhaps just not available, are smaller houses on larger plots. The theme has clearly been go big or go home for builders and I suppose there are plenty of people that want 3,500 sq ft and more, but for us, it's just a waste of space and more cost on property taxes and utilities. I imagine part of the lack of smaller houses built is that a builder doesn't get as much of a return on the sale after completion.

Are there any areas to look that have smaller houses on larger plots? Or should we consider adding to our search small knock downs that we can rebuild if the plot fits our criteria?
Yes.
As a former Strathmore kid.

Miller Place(RP Schools/Radio ave/Horse country some new starts) Sound Beach and Rocky Point all offer that type of new stock.Larger plots will be found in MP and Western RP.

We jokingly call the area Far East Setauket due to the amount of working class 3V alums in the area.

That stock is mixed in with older homes as well and plots vary from 1/4-1/2

Good luck

Crooks

PS Check Ridge and Wading River too

This a great part of RP
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...8_M46942-99657

Richmond Hill Rd - New Home Details - MLS #2322776 - Realtor.com®

Last edited by Crookhaven; 02-13-2011 at 09:58 AM..

Old 02-13-2011, 10:24 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
I imagine part of the lack of smaller houses built is that a builder doesn't get as much of a return on the sale after completion.
That's certainly one reason!

Another is that in this economy, you see fewer spec houses because the market is so saturated with inventory. Most builders don't have the funds/line of credit to have several houses sit there, waiting for a buyer - while paying the carrying charges for the property and the loan(s). Once the economy turns around, you'll see more of them.

There are a few builders out there who continue to build spec houses, even smaller ones, but on 1/2 acre you'd have to go pretty far east... On a 1/4 acre it'd be easier to find.

What we don't know is your price range...

Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,806,426 times
There is one for sale in our development. it is about 2500 sq ft, but needs to be finished. It is on .6 of an acre ; again you would need to landscape etc.

It is a 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath house with a double garage. The whole house is up, but I think the inside needs to be finished. it is in Longwood school and I think the price is about $350,000

Old 02-13-2011, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
There is one for sale in our development. it is about 2500 sq ft, but needs to be finished. It is on .6 of an acre ; again you would need to landscape etc.

It is a 4 bed, 2 1/2 bath house with a double garage. The whole house is up, but I think the inside needs to be finished. it is in Longwood school and I think the price is about $350,000

Builder possibly ran out of money or realized he didn't do his numbers correctly and now just wants to get rid of it. I know of a few in that situation further east...

Old 02-13-2011, 10:33 AM

78 posts, read 203,296 times
Oops, I forgot to specify location. What may make this tougher is that we're zeroing in on the area from Syosset to Huntington as I commute to NYC.

So, I think we'll have to really consider having something spec built around there.

Price range, ideally $750K or lower.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:25 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Oops, I forgot to specify location. What may make this tougher is that we're zeroing in on the area from Syosset to Huntington as I commute to NYC.

So, I think we'll have to really consider having something spec built around there.

Yea that really changes to hunt.

Maybe look near Babylon too.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Maybe look near Babylon too.
Tougher to find larger (unimproved) properties there, Crooks...

Old 02-13-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:

If you'd consider a custom built house, the first thing to look for would be land in an area you like Your price range might make it workable...

Old 02-14-2011, 08:53 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,689,173 times
Trahsub I sent you a Direct message regarding a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island