U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-27-2011, 01:40 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,805 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

We are looking for a house in Nassau county.There is one house built in 1920's which we are interested in.Though its very old, the previous owner did take care of it pretty well and its in the price range we can afford.

We did the home inspection and we chose the inspector suggested by our real estate agent. I know..I know.But we are kind of new in the house hunting market.After going thru all the threads in here, now I know better.

The inspector remarked 'possible Asbestos Tile' in the basement. ("Old 9" square Tile in basement - possible asbestos" to be exact).They are mostly in good shape but 1 or 2 tile is broken. We browsed and most people suggest to leave it like that.We have a 3 yr old..so I don't want to take any chances either.

What do you all suggest?

We were planning to laminate the basement floor. Will that take care of the asbestos situation?
or Should we back off from this? i would really appreciate some expert advice

Thank you !!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2011, 03:12 PM
 
886 posts, read 2,393,809 times
Reputation: 903
Relax. "Most" older floor tiles contain a very small amount of asbestos. Schools throughout LI built before the late 60's have floor tiles that contain asbestos. Most have less that 1% asbestos content. You can cover it with laminate and problem of 'what if' is resolved or if you want to remove it you simply need to wet floor before scraping tiles up.This will keep dust from forming which is where the danger occurs.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 08:05 AM
 
2,463 posts, read 4,675,480 times
Reputation: 1310
Quote:
Originally Posted by homehunter2011 View Post
Hello everyone,

We are looking for a house in Nassau county.There is one house built in 1920's which we are interested in.Though its very old, the previous owner did take care of it pretty well and its in the price range we can afford.

We did the home inspection and we chose the inspector suggested by our real estate agent. I know..I know.But we are kind of new in the house hunting market.After going thru all the threads in here, now I know better.

The inspector remarked 'possible Asbestos Tile' in the basement. ("Old 9" square Tile in basement - possible asbestos" to be exact).They are mostly in good shape but 1 or 2 tile is broken. We browsed and most people suggest to leave it like that.We have a 3 yr old..so I don't want to take any chances either.

What do you all suggest?

We were planning to laminate the basement floor. Will that take care of the asbestos situation?
or Should we back off from this? i would really appreciate some expert advice

Thank you !!
Honestly I believe that there is much overhype about asbestos and the health issues it causes.

First if you leave it alone and the particles dont go airborne, there's nothing to worry about.
Second, the amout of asbestos in floor tiles is very low.

Third, contrary to what asbestos abatement companies say, unless you are inhaling the asbestos for years at a time its unlikely to cause any problems.

Encapsulation is the other way to handle the issue other than removing it.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Kings Park & Jamesport
3,180 posts, read 9,445,845 times
Reputation: 1070
As long as they are laying flat and affixed to floor, installing a laminate floor over them is fine. Very low risk of inhaling asbesto particles from VCT. Contactor should remove any tiles that are loose and could crack.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 06:14 PM
 
90 posts, read 197,128 times
Reputation: 75
The asbestos tiles should be the least of your worries. A house that old you need to look at other issues such as galvanized water pipes, mercury, lead paint, lead water service, asbestos insulation in boiler. Hopefully your inspector did his homework.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 06:43 PM
 
126 posts, read 482,828 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by pit495 View Post
The asbestos tiles should be the least of your worries. A house that old you need to look at other issues such as galvanized water pipes, mercury, lead paint, lead water service, asbestos insulation in boiler. Hopefully your inspector did his homework.
I am familiar with all the possible issues you mentioned, except for mercury. What contains mercury in older houses?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2011, 10:36 PM
 
90 posts, read 197,128 times
Reputation: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post
I am familiar with all the possible issues you mentioned, except for mercury. What contains mercury in older houses?
Fluorescent lamps
elect switches
thermostats
gas service regulators
old freezers
gas ranges
interior latex paint
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2011, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
16,966 posts, read 31,057,583 times
Reputation: 7619
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacike View Post
I am familiar with all the possible issues you mentioned, except for mercury. What contains mercury in older houses?
Older and newer homes contain mercury:

One CF bulb contains enough mercury to contaminate 6,000 gallons of water.
Glass thermometers contain mercury.
Fish contains mercury.
Paint made prior to 1992 used mercury as a fungus retardant.
Older appliances such as irons, washers and top loader freezers had mercury.
The round, manual thermostats have mercury switches.
Some LCD monitors -- like those found on laptops and computers.

Here's a good resource:

Table of Mercury-Containing Products | Mercury | US EPA
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,805 times
Reputation: 12
Thank u all for the response.We really appreciate it !!!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top