Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 AM

142 posts, read 265,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Mainly because it's a waste of time trying to reason with people who have already made up their minds and aren't interested in listening to another point of view.

Did it ever occur to any of you ranting in this thread that the cop in question could be enroute to an emergency? And that he was communicating with fellow officers on his cell phone? Both of those things happen on a regular basis. Cops are exempt from cell phone laws (for that very reason) and often talk to the stationhouse or communications folks on their phones. And cops often respond to emergencies without lights and sirens. All perfectly legal.
As I was the only one from this thread there that day (unless you are the cop being mentioned), trust me....he was not en route to an emergency.

Listen, I come from a family of cops back home....so I understand the good and the bad things. Maybe it's my increased cynicism these days, but I just happen to see more violations by the police out here than anywhere else I have lived. I also happen to notice the drivers out here are terrible compared to any other place I have lived.

Entitlement......too much of it around here.

Ok, carry on.

-Bigstigs

Old 03-03-2011, 10:49 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
As I was the only one from this thread there that day (unless you are the cop being mentioned), trust me....he was not en route to an emergency.

Listen, I come from a family of cops back home....so I understand the good and the bad things. Maybe it's my increased cynicism these days, but I just happen to see more violations by the police out here than anywhere else I have lived. I also happen to notice the drivers out here are terrible compared to any other place I have lived.

Entitlement......too much of it around here.

Ok, carry on.

-Bigstigs
Yeah, everybody's got a family of cops or best friend cops or whatever. Still doesn't mean that you know why he was doing what he was doing. There are two sides to every story and you automatically assume that the cop was in the wrong.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:55 AM

929 posts, read 2,068,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Mainly because it's a waste of time trying to reason with people who have already made up their minds and aren't interested in listening to another point of view.

Did it ever occur to any of you ranting in this thread that the cop in question could be enroute to an emergency? And that he was communicating with fellow officers on his cell phone? Both of those things happen on a regular basis. Cops are exempt from cell phone laws (for that very reason) and often talk to the stationhouse or communications folks on their phones. And cops often respond to emergencies without lights and sirens. All perfectly legal.
I knew one of you would eventually chime in. I think someone did mention on the prior page something about giving police the benefit of the doubt if they were speeding or talking on their cell phone while driving?

Quote:
I always like to think that if I see a PO driving fast, then they are headed to help someone and I would be very disappointed to ride up the road and see them parked in front of the local deli ordering lunch.
Oh wait, that was me

Old 03-03-2011, 01:47 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,878,593 times
plenty of people still breaking the rules... if you're saying that you see the cops doing it far too often, it is only because their vehicle looks different than ours. They're human... and as I've mentioned in another thread... things like current posted speed limits are BS. Actually read something that said the speed limits were actually imposed to help fuel efficiency during the oil crisis.

People rolling through stop signs or not signaling show lack of courtesy for others on the road. I get pissed about that more than anything else, regardless of whether they are a cop or not.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:50 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstigs View Post
I finally get to the end of the road where we parted ways...myself turning right and the officer turning left....without a turn signal.
Firstly, why did the officer not overtake you after you made the left on the overpass ? Clearly there were 2 lanes.

Secondly, you should be happy you did not have to make that left at the end of the road, you would have had to drive cautiously for another couple of miles before you hit the next major road.

Note: there are video cameras everywhere these days you know.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:01 PM

338 posts, read 777,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
When I see a police officer violating traffic laws it does not make me want to emulate him/her.

The reason is: I know that there is NOBODY who is going to give a ticket to a cop. Would the cop ticket himself? NO. Would another cop in a patrol car ticket the cop? NO.

But I do know that if I were to disobey traffic laws, there are plenty of cops who will ticket me without a second thought. AND I don't think they would take too kindly to me saying, "Why are you ticketing ME? Yesterday I saw Patrol Car #__ do the exact same thing!"

your wrong. my friend whom is an nypd officer got a ticket from a suffolk sherrif. sherrifs will ticket EVERYONE.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pequadude View Post
your wrong. my friend whom is an nypd officer got a ticket from a suffolk sherrif. sherrifs will ticket EVERYONE.
Interesting. TY. "Never say never" that's for sure! What was your friend doing all the way out in Suffolk in his NYPD patrol car?

Old 03-03-2011, 02:07 PM

338 posts, read 777,603 times
my best friend is a suffolk cop. he waves or nods to the sherriffs when he sees them, but they never respond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island