Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 06:31 AM

185 posts, read 1,215,969 times

Advertisements

With the kids off from school this upcoming week, I thought I would pick everyone's brain. What kinds of great places are there on the island to take the kids to?
This could be very helpful to a lot of parents right now.
Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,140,887 times
Nassau or Suffolk?

Too long a list...Here's a few off the top of my head for Suffolk.

Riverhead Aquarium, feed the ducks at Southaven Park, Stony Brook Grist Mill or anywhere, Chuck E Cheese, Fun4All, kite flying at the beach, picking up shells at the beach & bringing them home to paint, Holtsville Animal Park, walk around Heckscher Park in Huntington, Cold Spring Harbor Fishery, walk around Port Jeff & treat them to icecream, candy & watch the ferry, bowling, paintball, lasertag, walk in ceramics, take them outside & throw a few baseballs or go to a pitch machine, slot car racing, go karts, Boomers, St James general store, .... any park or beach~~~Have fun!

Old 04-10-2009, 07:38 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi813 View Post
With the kids off from school this upcoming week, I thought I would pick everyone's brain. What kinds of great places are there on the island to take the kids to?
This could be very helpful to a lot of parents right now.
Thanks in advance!
I have a season pass for the riverhead aquarium, great place. The wildlife refuge in East Quogue has live owls, a bald eagle, a perrigrine falcon, bobcat, fox, ducks and great trails on a lake all for free.

The Playground in East Quogue is a playground/Gym filled with toys and equiptment to play all day for 10 bucks.

Sound Avenue in east of Northville tpk has many farm stands with wagons to pull kids in and jungle jims.

Old 04-10-2009, 07:49 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
You can never go wrong here....my kids think its the Long Island zoo....shhhh. lol.

Wildlife & Ecology Center

Old 04-10-2009, 08:54 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Great idea for a thread.

We like

Railroad Museum of Long Island (http://www.rmli.us/Welcome.html - broken link)

Crooks

Old 04-10-2009, 09:00 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
When my boys were young, we would take a day trip to Northport ; yes, Northport. Or Sag Harbor. Walk around the villages and stop at the playgrounds, then stop for icecream ; or even Greenport also.

Now that they are 9 & 10, we do maybe an afternoon movie, oh last week they went to the indoor gocart place in Ronkonkoma. Or Bowling. We are still prone to daily drives ; it really is wonderful to spend the day with the kids in the car, have conversations, and just chill.

Next week they are having a day of fun at home with their friends. My younger sons favorite day is to have some friends from school over with their parents and just have the parents and children chill. Of course if the weather is nice, they are outside playing, hiding, having fun, fun, fun. Yesterday they went to a friends house who does the same and they were all outside from 12 until 8pm. it was wonderful, cheap and excellent.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:00 PM

Doesn't matter nassau or suffolk. We are up for most anything...We have been to riverhead aquarium...handful of farms...my son just turned 3 so go karts, boomers and bowling --he is young for...we have gone to fun4all a handful of times too...

Please keep the ideas coming...

thanks everyone.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:15 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default Things to do on Lawn Guyland

Here are two sites that offer weekly eMail newsletters: LongIsland.com and About Long Island NY, and, here's what could be the best site: Long Island Convention & Visitors Bureau and Sports Commission.

Old 04-11-2009, 06:57 AM

We Love White POst Farm in Melville. You can feed all the animals food and milk bottles and take a pony ride. They also have a lot of playgrounds and climbing playsets. The farm store makes homemade amazing fresh bread too.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:06 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggi813 View Post
Doesn't matter nassau or suffolk. We are up for most anything...We have been to riverhead aquarium...handful of farms...my son just turned 3 so go karts, boomers and bowling --he is young for...we have gone to fun4all a handful of times too...

Please keep the ideas coming...

thanks everyone.
Long Island Game Farm. They have big deer that you can go in with and feed.A little pricey but fun(Manorville area).At 3 visual stimulation is big. I used to go to the beaches and walk with my daughter and son at that age.Even in fall and spring they loved the sound of the crashing waves and the nice breeze.The drive on Sound Ave around Southold is nice with little beaches on the north side of road and little eateries with canopies you can sit under.There is a place on the Southold/Greenport border we used to stop at on the north side, I think it was called North Fork Food or Grill and the prices were reasonable for sandwiches, mac and cheese, soda, etc...and if you go further by the East Marion/Orient border there's a little bridge that you can stop at where I constantly saw eagles nesting on.Greenport is also a nice town with lots of shops and the carousel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island