Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:28 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,435 times

Advertisements

Born and raised on Long Island and looking to relocate within the next few years. We are building in NEPA (Northeast Pennsylvania). It's beautiful! You get acreage, affordable new homes, low taxes and lots and lots of trees. Just what we don't have on LI! I think the only downside will be employment. But, at age 55, it's not all that important. My husband can transfer in his job and the profit on the sale of our NY home will pay for the mortgage on PA house and we'll invest the rest. Can't wait! And...we're close enough to LI to visit the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 09:32 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Richmond VA is a nice place.
If you like living in a swamp from May thru September. The humidity will kill you there.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:33 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldginpa View Post
Born and raised on Long Island and looking to relocate within the next few years. We are building in NEPA (Northeast Pennsylvania). It's beautiful! You get acreage, affordable new homes, low taxes and lots and lots of trees. Just what we don't have on LI! I think the only downside will be employment. But, at age 55, it's not all that important. My husband can transfer in his job and the profit on the sale of our NY home will pay for the mortgage on PA house and we'll invest the rest. Can't wait! And...we're close enough to LI to visit the kids.
Isn't NE Pennsylvania becoming little Puerto Rico w/gangs and all?

Old 08-12-2007, 05:24 PM

553 posts, read 1,935,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Isn't NE Pennsylvania becoming little Puerto Rico w/gangs and all?
In the mountains? anyway to much snow for me. though it is nice in the summer. I also think the bears are a pain in the a** up there my cousin had them in her garbage every morning.

Old 08-12-2007, 05:41 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,368,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
We've looked at a lot of places and send resumes to many states! I will only list a few...

Our main goal is home ownership again. It's impossible to own a home here on my husband's wages and I would probably work no more than part-time until our child was old enough to stay at home by himself.

What is the point of 'childcare' unless you make good money and not all of it is going to that?

We are not into hot weather, though we thought seriously about going to KY. (again, affordable living). However, several things turned us off (not going to go into details as not to offend or get anyone upset here).

We tried Virginia several times but no jobs panned out.

I told my husband I am not going south. We plan to go to NH, though it's not much cheaper than here and we still haven't had luck with jobs. We enjoy nature/simple living and feel our place is somewhere north, even if it's in a modest setting.

I don't know why but it's VERY difficult to get an out of state job.
Try, Murfreesboro Tn. It's within 45 min of Nashville. It's booming, lots of Jobs, Shopping. It's also a college town. Middle Tennessee State University.
There are lots of transplants there so you won't feel left out. I'm in Nashville, but I suggested Murfreesboro because its less expensive. What you can buy in Nashville for $400,000 you can buy in Murfreesboro for $200,000. TN is very different than Ky because its more of a melting pot. There are also more transplants, many Californians. Taxes on houses vary by county with Davidson being the highest. That $400,000 would be about $3500 in taxes and house would be about 4000sq feet. In LI that same house would be over a Million and same for NJ.
Former LI, then NJ, Then TN

Old 10-18-2013, 03:18 PM

105 posts, read 83,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins View Post
why do so many people think that NY/LI is the best place on earth? Is it really that different and better than every other place on the planet? I was born and raised here and I am so ready to leave. Is there something that I am missing?? I don't get it. The high real estate, high property taxes, increasing crime, overcrowding, ugliness, pollution, etc...
I was born and raised here as well. However, I think many people think this about their hometowns, think of residents of NJ, Atl, GA, Boston, Mass. and Los Angeles, Ca to name a few.

We have our problems but I'm sure you realize that no state is going to be without them.

I'm not joined at the hip to LI but I've looked so long at other places that I'm exhausted. Between the disappointing job markets in most places and a lack of an art community in others (which I am a part of) I'm ready to just grow where I'm planted. I'm still looking at other places but am planning to stay on LI.

Old 10-18-2013, 03:36 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I'm not a hockey guy, but I can't wait (hopefully) for the new development around the NC and all teh renovations to the thing. It'll be one of the best places around to go to a sporting event. Really, if it all is done like planned, it'll e right up there with some great cities stadiums/arenas.

I'll post this again for the hell of it...

Long Island Lighthouse
lol - 6 years later...

funny thread to read back
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island