Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 03:51 PM

745 posts, read 1,505,124 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking for our first house. We have a few areas we like, but want to pick a place that has low taxes, homes prices under 400k, and decent schools. One of the things we're looking for is a laid back feel, not too much congestion, an area that still feels like the country almost. We want an area that has a good resale value, although we are looking to stay in the house we buy forever. If you could please give your opinion on these towns, or add more, I'd really appreciate it.

Rocky Point
Sound Beach
Port Jefferson
Lake Panamoka
East Moriches
Bayport/Blue Point
Sayville
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 04:46 PM

106 posts, read 578,621 times
Hey clamboy, I found you a buyer!!!! I will take my 6% commission now!!!

Old 07-28-2007, 04:56 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
well I'm a Lake Panamoka resident, so I'm partial. I also think you described it in what you are looking for. Longwood schools are not the best, they are average but the kids & parents in my neighborhood have great school pride-lots of "my kids an honor student" stickers. Try greatschools.net for more info.
Sayville is a beautiful area, I lived in Oakdale for years & enjoyed shopping & dining in Sayville. I also lived in Port Jeff for many years & it is lovely, but the traffic in that whole area is out of control. If you live north of the train tracks(as I did) getting in or out of town on the summer weekends is impossible.
Rocky point is spoken highly of by the people that live there, its seems like a nice town with affordable homes.
if you have specific questions about my area let me know!
Kelly

Old 07-28-2007, 05:07 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardlwag View Post
Hey clamboy, I found you a buyer!!!! I will take my 6% commission now!!!
Thats funny.
Maybe they'll come to the open house tomorrow.

Im definitely partial to Rocky Point
I think its the best value on the North Shore.

We had another buyer through tonight.
I think they may be interested. Her parents live a block away.
Rocky Points a tight community and for 339k ,its a hell of a buy.

Kelly and I disagree on which is the better. : )
If I had a horse Id buy Ridge all day long and I really love Lake Panamoka(we almost bought there.)

We just think RP schools are little better than Longwood.
Thts what pushed us North.

As for some of the others
Port Jeff: Google Breast Cancer Maps LI
E Moriches Taxes are hideous and youre pretty far from anything.(except the Hamptons)
Sayville has a downtown to envy,great schools and ferry access to Fire island but 400k doesnt go too far
Blue Point/Bayport: Gorgeous but 400k gets you nowhere last time I checked.

Best
C

Last edited by clamboy; 07-28-2007 at 05:25 PM..

Old 07-28-2007, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
well I'm a Lake Panamoka resident, so I'm partial. I also think you described it in what you are looking for. Longwood schools are not the best, they are average but the kids & parents in my neighborhood have great school pride-lots of "my kids an honor student" stickers. Try greatschools.net for more info.
Sayville is a beautiful area, I lived in Oakdale for years & enjoyed shopping & dining in Sayville. I also lived in Port Jeff for many years & it is lovely, but the traffic in that whole area is out of control. If you live north of the train tracks(as I did) getting in or out of town on the summer weekends is impossible.
Rocky point is spoken highly of by the people that live there, its seems like a nice town with affordable homes.
if you have specific questions about my area let me know!
Kelly
I don't mind Longwood schools, I went there and loved it.

I've tried looking for Lake Panamoka on searches, but I always come up with regular Ridge. Are there any sites that I can use?

The one thing my DH is concerned about are the mosquitoes in the area. In your experience, are there a lot? Also, how is the quality of the lake, and the neighborhood? We're not looking for a keeping up with the Jones' neighborhood.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:29 PM

You have Dick Amper from the Pine Barrens society guarding that lake .

He lives there.

Youre in good hands.

Old 07-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Thats funny.
Maybe they'll come to the open house tomorrow.

Im definitely partial to Rocky Point
I think its the best value on the North Shore.

We had another buyer through tonight.
I think they may be interested. Her parents live a block away.
Rocky Points a tight community and for 339k ,its a hell of a buy.

Kelly and I disagree on which is the better. : )
If I had a horse Id buy Ridge all day long and I really love Lake Panamoka(we almost bought there.)

We just think RP schools are little better than Longwood.
Thts what pushed us North.

As for some of the others
Port Jeff: Google Breast Cancer Maps LI
E Moriches Taxes are hideous and youre pretty far from anything.(except the Hamptons)
Sayville has a downtown to envy,great schools and ferry access to Fire island but 400k doesnt go too far
Blue Point/Bayport: Gorgeous but 400k gets you nowhere last time I checked.

Best
C
Thanks for the input.

Are the hills in Rocky Point difficult to travel on in the winter?

Old 07-28-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Thanks for the input.

Are the hills in Rocky Point difficult to travel on in the winter?
Its not all hills(I wish it were...I like em, kinda feels like being upstate)New RP is flat.
I drive a RWD Mercury in Old School RP:North Shore Beach
Aint been stuck yet.

The towns pretty well connected politically.
The plows come early.

Best
C

PS Check in with Kelly on Lake Panamoka/Ridge...she knows her stuff.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:23 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,901 times
I think Rocky Point is about the best value around, good schools and North Shore beauty.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:10 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,934,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I don't mind Longwood schools, I went there and loved it.

I've tried looking for Lake Panamoka on searches, but I always come up with regular Ridge. Are there any sites that I can use?

The one thing my DH is concerned about are the mosquitoes in the area. In your experience, are there a lot? Also, how is the quality of the lake, and the neighborhood? We're not looking for a keeping up with the Jones' neighborhood.
We share the zip w/ridge so an easy trick is if you're looking on MLSLI.com use the map feature, all the streets that end in "trail" around the lake on the map are Panamoka.
We have an environmental committee that attends the local VECTOR meetings, we've had Suffolk County Dept of Health attend our civic(homeowner's association) meetings to discuss Mosquitos & Ticks. I live across the street from the lake & I can honestly say I have signifigantly less skeeters here than I did living in Oakdale. We have a nearly perfect ecology system here, everything is in balance. We have tons of beautiful dragonflies-they feast on skeeters

We also have hundreds of Purple Martins that live in bird houses around the lake & eat mosiquitos.
Then there are the frogs & toads of all sizes, my back lawn as well as the beach at the lake is alive with them at dusk, every where you look you see one jump...kids love them too

Here is a pic of kids playing in the lake taken the first week of July....the water is crystal clear, it is tested by an outside lab routinely.

The neighborhood is down to Earth, honest to goodness, hardworking people.
We have a civic association that is really making major strides to preserve the family feeling its always had. I know without doubt, I could count on my neighbors for anything I needed. Nobody here cares what kind of car you drive, how much money you make, what brand your refrigerator is, where you went to graduate school....or if you went at all. They are much more likely to offer to plow your driveway with their tractor or bring you fresh veggies from their garden or just stop to genuinely ask you how you're doing.
Sure we have a couple of houses that sit with just TYVEK shelter wrap & no siding a little longer than other neighborhoods. However it is primarily tradesmen, doing the work on their home themselves on their days off. My husband is a tradesman too.
Here is the official website
lakepanamoka.org

If you have more questions let me know!!! There are a few GREAT homes for sale in the neighborhood now, good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island