Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 AM

400 posts, read 761,748 times

Advertisements

Sorry if I am changing the subject.... I guess back to on-topic .

Anyway, does someone know if the 2% cap will mean a 2% real increase in property taxes or are the pensions and healthcare costs still going to push our taxes into the stratosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 10:17 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,787 times
I filled it out and forwarded it on.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:09 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Pensions should not be funded by school systems. The original intent of pensions was to provide something for the employee upon retirement when annual compensation was not sufficient to put monies away. Today, we have the opposite, compensation is now more than sufficient to permit savings for retirement coupled with pensions. The system is out of whack and needs to be reined in.

Vote NO to school budgets. Vote YES and seal your own demise while the fatcat unions eat your breakfast, lunch and dinner while on vacation in the Bahamas.
Don't most contingency budgets in the event of a NO have little to no impact on the tax dollars anyway? The bulk of the outlay is not coming from "discretionary" services and can't be touched regardless - i.e. pensions.

I really like some of your ideas moving forward, but I haven't seen what your ideas are for the existing elephant in the room. Like I said earlier in this thread I don't believe there's a way out without haircuts - those don't sit well with the cronies and that's where you'd find your largest top down resistance to any pension reform.

I know I'm not throwing out anything that can be answered easily since you're essentially battling a microcosm of our national entitlement system.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:14 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
Sorry if I am changing the subject.... I guess back to on-topic .

Anyway, does someone know if the 2% cap will mean a 2% real increase in property taxes or are the pensions and healthcare costs still going to push our taxes into the stratosphere.
No, yes, no... j/k.

Seriously though, finally someone with a little foresight that is thinking .
I was all for this tax cap a few months ago, but it's too good to be true. I posted here> read this < about 3 pages ago, but then a cat-fight broke out... so what I believe is this tax cap is going to have damaging effects and it's not going to cap taxes at all. Maybe "real property" taxes will be capped at 2%, which would be great. But the bills coming due are so large and the tax system is heavily tilted against the middle class that it will not work.

A cap is going to destroy schools and counties/towns/municipalities will just find ways around it (ie- higher gas taxes, MORE red light cameras, more surcharges, higher sales tax, etc).
It's smoke n mirrors. We need real tax reform for the middle class on LI combined with major union concessions/reduction in spending. I'm conservative, but you'd be an idiot not to realize that the property tax system on LI is favorable to $750k+ homes and very high earners. Unless you like the mcmansions taking over your town, it makes no sense to live here anymore unless you're really living large ($750k - $20M homes).

If you wanna talk about this more, I have another thread here on this
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ge-before.html

maybe I'll delete this post and paste it over in that thread?

Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
No, yes, no... j/k.

Seriously though, finally someone with a little foresight that is thinking .
I was all for this tax cap a few months ago, but it's too good to be true. I posted here> read this < about 3 pages ago, but then a cat-fight broke out... so what I believe is this tax cap is going to have damaging effects and it's not going to cap taxes at all. Maybe "real property" taxes will be capped at 2%, which would be great. But the bills coming due are so large and the tax system is heavily tilted against the middle class that it will not work.

A cap is going to destroy schools and counties/towns/municipalities will just find ways around it (ie- higher gas taxes, MORE red light cameras, more surcharges, higher sales tax, etc).
It's smoke n mirrors. We need real tax reform for the middle class on LI combined with major union concessions/reduction in spending. I'm conservative, but you'd be an idiot not to realize that the property tax system on LI is favorable to $750k+ homes and very high earners. Unless you like the mcmansions taking over your town, it makes no sense to live here anymore unless you're really living large ($750k - $20M homes).

If you wanna talk about this more, I have another thread here on this
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ge-before.html

maybe I'll delete this post and paste it over in that thread?
You definitely have some good points here. I guess we need to study CA's tax cap. Seems in some places what you suspect happened ... the union costs just kept ballooning and eventually no money was left in the budget for actually doing anything for the community ... which led to bankruptcy in some cases (Vallejo).

Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

... which led to bankruptcy in some cases (Vallejo).
Exactly - default - haircut... This is what is unavoidable in just about any scenario IMO because it's gone past the tipping point.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:10 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You definitely have some good points here. I guess we need to study CA's tax cap. Seems in some places what you suspect happened ... the union costs just kept ballooning and eventually no money was left in the budget for actually doing anything for the community ... which led to bankruptcy in some cases (Vallejo).
I just researched Vallejo a little bit. It seems that city ended up paying retirees and other creditors only 5-20% of what they were owed - through use of federal bankruptcy laws.
Now, what I'm not sure of is if the city of Vallejo still had to fully pay any pension obligations towards the state of CA? How does that work? Like, if Nassau got wiped out somehow (tidal wave, nuke bomb, etc), would we still have to pay 100% of pension obligations to NYS?
That's a good idea on researching CA's tax cap, and like you mentioned, the results were not good.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
I just researched Vallejo a little bit. It seems that city ended up paying retirees and other creditors only 5-20% of what they were owed - through use of federal bankruptcy laws.
Now, what I'm not sure of is if the city of Vallejo still had to fully pay any pension obligations towards the state of CA? How does that work? Like, if Nassau got wiped out somehow (tidal wave, nuke bomb, etc), would we still have to pay 100% of pension obligations to NYS?
That's a good idea on researching CA's tax cap, and like you mentioned, the results were not good.
No. The bankruptcy took care of that.

But the thing is the legal fees were killer!!! (As usual, the attorneys win more than the clients!)

Tax cap without corresponding union reform will not work.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:36 PM

556 posts, read 1,446,094 times
Suozzi gave a presentation recently at a confrence I was attending on this very subject. I grilled him HARD.

Old 04-21-2011, 01:01 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,008,116 times
I was just about to say, haircut would be putting it mildly. A crew-cut with a straight razor is the likely outcome. Meanwhile, the union hacks can continue to sing Kumbaya and gather round the fire roasting marshmellows while collecting union dues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island