Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 03:38 PM

36 posts, read 115,129 times

Advertisements

I'm going to replace two pieces of the sidewalk.
Do I need a permit to do the job?
Thanks a lot,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 04:30 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,800,286 times
I can't say for sure, especially without knowing where you are and how the jurisdiction of the sidewalk in front of your home is written into town code,
but I have a feeling that if ANYTHING goes wrong, i.e., another local citizen tripping or falling while in proximity to your newly performed work, that you might be
opening a case for liability, in that event. It's one thing to say "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and another thing to say that you may have no right to do any public
work (even if it's for good), because some municipalities, as well as trouble-making neighbors, might find their pleasure in penalizing you for doing "the right thing".
First, find out which agency is responsible. Next, take a few photos of the sidewalk which will document the deteriorated condition of the sidewalk and lastly, once
you have determined whether you have the right to repair it, then you may set about to fix it.

Gone are the days when we could take it upon ourselves to better our property or enrich our own homes with the assumption that it's "all good", the repairs or
revisions that are done for the betterment of self as well as our neighbors. This is the age of torts and lawsuits, codes and violations, unions and licensed contractors,
many municipalities are more focused in law than in the reality that better neighborhoods bring better neighbors. Town inspectors are finally being told by their superiors,
to go out into the public arena and look a little harder at the things going on in their community, they are often placed in the position of having to justify their salaries and
benefits, by bringing in the revenue that comes from those who improve their property without keeping the proper agency in the picture. Yes, it sounds insane but still, it is
where we have gone, as lowly citizens in a society, over-governed by bloated departments, and those tentacles of government who are so intent upon ruling us, even unto
the ultimate ruination of society.

Old 04-20-2011, 04:40 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Long Island Eddie is spot on. To be safe call your town, or village and ask who is responsible to maintain the sidewalk. If it turns out to be that it is the towns responsibility. I would send them a certified or registered letter telling them exactly what the problem was. i.e Badly cracked side walk someone has already fallen and you want to notify the town of such a condition. This can prove to be very valuable to you in the event it takes a while to get your flags replaced and someone does fall. IF it is simply a cosmetic thing, don't count on them to be too willing to correct it, given the budgets of our towns.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:00 PM

338 posts, read 777,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Long Island Eddie is spot on. To be safe call your town, or village and ask who is responsible to maintain the sidewalk. If it turns out to be that it is the towns responsibility. I would send them a certified or registered letter telling them exactly what the problem was. i.e Badly cracked side walk someone has already fallen and you want to notify the town of such a condition. This can prove to be very valuable to you in the event it takes a while to get your flags replaced and someone does fall. IF it is simply a cosmetic thing, don't count on them to be too willing to correct it, given the budgets of our towns.
good luck. a tree the town planted uprooted our sidewalk and a guy tripped over it and my father got sued.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:23 PM

36 posts, read 115,129 times
I'm in Hicksville. I know the sidewalk is the home owners' property. Just unsure if the town agency will come out to fine people who does improvement on the sidewalk.
I know alternations need a permit, unsure about repair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island