Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:00 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
You consider Riverhead Western Suffolk?
Its all relative.

Ask a guy in East Marion

I bring it up because we were at a party there and the family was from St James.
Its not like exit 70 involves airfare .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 05:10 PM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
We had our son's 6th b'day at Hop n Bop 2 years ago. It had opened recently at that point. We were happy with everything execpt that it felt a bit rushed - I think they schedule the parties too close together. We had 15 kids or so and all the parents stayed. I truly felt like they took care of eveything and I was able to hang with the parents. I brought in our own cake and decorations and plates, but they set up the room and handled everything. The kids had a great time..I was just looking at the pictures again the other day.

In our experience, parents hang out at the party until the kids are at least 7 or 8...even at my son's last party, which we had at Lazerland, lots of the parents still stayed. Make sure to order food for them!

Old 04-21-2011, 05:28 PM

721 posts, read 1,567,163 times
I personally don't care for Wood Kingdom. The parking is inadequate and I just find it sort of hard to watch my kids in there.

Hop N Bop is fine. We have attended a party there. My kids liked it.

We have also gone to parties at the following places- BounceU in both Farmingdale and Smithtown, White Post Farms (so $$$$), Gymboree, Tumbling Tunes, My Gym, Adventureland (my daughter's fave and it's reasonable but only open for summer), Soccer Tots, Huntington Gymnastics, Gold Star Gymnastics, LICM, Tumble Bus, and the dreaded Chuck E Cheese, which unfortunately seems to be the fave among the preschool set recently.

Kinda hate kiddie bday parties.

There is the Ice Cream Party Shoppe in Smithtown that does parties too. Haven't been there yet but it's only a matter of time. Actually I would sort of like that bcs at least there would be ice cream. Kiddie party food is the worst. Cold pizza and bad sheet cake. Ugh.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:38 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Turning 3? What's wrong with at home?

I am with you. Albeit nearly retiring age, I have attended some of the party places here on LI with friends, grandkids etc. and I would never have one outside my home. The party places are used over and over again and I think the potential for germs is too much of a risk. Just like the ball room at IKEA. I see tons of kids with coughs, colds, runny noses, you name it and yet the parents simply don't even give it a second thought! Oh well I guess I am getting old. Just my 2 cents. Yes it is a bit of work but I know how clean my own house is.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:47 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,358 times
My kids always had home parties, and no parents stayed! Yeah, it was years ago, but come on... no one needs to invite a dozen kids... keep it small and to close friends.
A couple of times I had my sister come over to help, but there was no problem and minimal clean up afterwards. You just have to plan ahead and make sure you have enough for them to do to fill the allotted time.

I never understood the need to spend hundreds of dollars on outside parties AND having to feed/entertain the other parents as well! Insane!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:53 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Those are bygone days, Tom Nobody wants to clean up after a dozen or more 3-yr olds in their house!! Especially if they're being dropped off by their parent(s) and have no supervision...
Elke, only a man would ask that question, no?!

Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 PM

629 posts, read 1,701,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Turning 3? What's wrong with at home?
Absolutely nothing - I agree. But... having a party at home requires planning, work and creativity on the part of the host parents. People are generally lazy so it's easier to cough up a few hundred dollars and be a guest at your own party.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:36 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Elke, only a man would ask that question, no?!

Right on!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,158,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
My kids always had home parties, and no parents stayed! Yeah, it was years ago, but come on... no one needs to invite a dozen kids... keep it small and to close friends.
A couple of times I had my sister come over to help, but there was no problem and minimal clean up afterwards. You just have to plan ahead and make sure you have enough for them to do to fill the allotted time.

I never understood the need to spend hundreds of dollars on outside parties AND having to feed/entertain the other parents as well! Insane!
My daughters always had home parties too but times have changed for many things. I used to bake the cakes and made special birthday cake decorations. Spending a fortune on a birthday party? Not me! Worked too hard for my money
But times have changed and the OP didn't ask for our approval or disapproval, merely suggestions for other non-home sites/events...

Old 04-22-2011, 05:40 AM

17 posts, read 55,200 times
The parties at Fun 4 All in Port Jefferson are a good deal because the kids can play all day. My daughter had her 4th birthday party there and a lot of the parents hung out for a few hours after the 90 minute party.

Wood Kingdom gives a nice party and the magic show is cute but it goes very quickly and the kids do not get to stay and play past 90 minutes.

I agree with some of the other posters that house parties are nice, especially during the summer, but not everyone has a house to invite a dozen 3 year olds over to. Some people live in apartments or just do not have space for 12 children and adults, as well as family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island