Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why do ex-LI'ers come back to bash LI?
Bored as hell in their new areas 17 32.08%
Feel Guilty about leaving and ruining their kids' futures 4 7.55%
Miserable and want to "make" company 6 11.32%
Really are happy in their new area and looking out for us 26 49.06%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:19 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
I've still waiting for the "Hard evidence" about how much better Long Island was 30 years ago.
A large aerospace and defense industry and supporting small and mid-size business, fishing industry, banking, lower taxes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 04:54 PM

239 posts, read 612,498 times
Default The Grass IS greener!

I moved away (to New Orleans) because the grass literally is greener. I've suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder for as long as I can remember and the NY winters were harmful to my mental well-being. Of course there were other reasons, but this was my most selfish one. Oh and it worked -- I seem to be cured of the winter blues. It's hard to be depressed around palm trees!

People leave for so many different reasons; it's difficult to generalize. And there's so much good and bad to any big move. I think it's a combination of both the good and the bad that leads former Long Islanders to post negative things about their former home. Some things elsewhere are better. Some are not. Therefore, some posts are boasts (and the more generous "looking out for others" option that was in the poll), while I'm sure there are those that people make in hopes of validating their decision when feeling unsure. Also, the Long Island forum is simply the most fun, so why stop posting? I check up on y'all daily and get lots of laughs.
<3 from your New Orleanian Lurker Extraordinaire

Old 04-28-2011, 05:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
I moved away (to New Orleans) because the grass literally is greener. I've suffered from Seasonal Affective Disorder for as long as I can remember and the NY winters were harmful to my mental well-being. Of course there were other reasons, but this was my most selfish one. Oh and it worked -- I seem to be cured of the winter blues. It's hard to be depressed around palm trees!

People leave for so many different reasons; it's difficult to generalize. And there's so much good and bad to any big move. I think it's a combination of both the good and the bad that leads former Long Islanders to post negative things about their former home. Some things elsewhere are better. Some are not. Therefore, some posts are boasts (and the more generous "looking out for others" option that was in the poll), while I'm sure there are those that people make in hopes of validating their decision when feeling unsure. Also, the Long Island forum is simply the most fun, so why stop posting? I check up on y'all daily and get lots of laughs.
<3 from your New Orleanian Lurker Extraordinaire
TY for saying we are the most fun!

+5!

Old 04-28-2011, 07:24 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I can not even choose one of the above options. I was raised on LI and, until last year I lived there. I lived in one of the most beautiful and sophisticated areas of Long Island. The Three Village School district.
Our property tax climbed to over 20K per year. There were changes in our income.
I love Long Island for many reasons, but I did not want to live in a bad area.
I make it a point NOT to "did" LI or NY. Great places to live if you are very wealthy or do not mind living in certain areas that are just not for us.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:35 PM

324 posts, read 335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Such knowledge! And what area of the city did you say you had lived in???
The crime stats prove that Richmond is a crime infested dump. It is consistently ranked in the top 10 in the cities with the highest crime rate. And as for boring - if you've ever been to Richmond, you know boring is in the city charter.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:40 PM

600 posts, read 2,092,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
A large aerospace and defense industry and supporting small and mid-size business, fishing industry, banking, lower taxes, etc.
Definitely the aerospace industry.

I don't believe taxes were actually lower in real dollars, or at least I find it hard to believe.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM

324 posts, read 335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I can not even choose one of the above options. I was raised on LI and, until last year I lived there. I lived in one of the most beautiful and sophisticated areas of Long Island. The Three Village School district.
Our property tax climbed to over 20K per year. There were changes in our income.
I love Long Island for many reasons, but I did not want to live in a bad area.
I make it a point NOT to "did" LI or NY. Great places to live if you are very wealthy or do not mind living in certain areas that are just not for us.
How sad. At least you and your bigoted viewpoints are accepted in your new hometown.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Hi Wes,
It depends on if you're talking pre-Pat Halprin tax shock or post. Oh the joy of having your taxes sky rocket over night.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd Jedd View Post
I said high schools by me. I also said I knew teachers in the MHS district, things I heard and things in the news. The fact theat the district didn't want to address this child's needs is another brick in the wall.
Didn't catch the name of those High Schools ?
Oh, okay, "things you heard and in the news" -- that cleared things up.

Quote:
True, you said 2 stories, but you also made it a central part of your comments that the rest of the country is at a disadvantage because they don’t attend a high school on LI.
Yeah, the most potential at LI Schools. 99% vs 70% US average graduation rates, better scores and much better environment for success. If I said for example, a student attending NYU or Fordham or Stony Brook has a better chance of success than at Suffolk Community College, wouldn't that make sense? Of course good school programs don't guarantee success, but they definitely can't hurt.

Quote:
This is anecdotal. I live with people who are satisfied. Some of the kids on past NCAA champs for Duke and UNC were even in state students. Including some kid named Jordan.
Almost everything you've presented is anecdotal... "Things you heard", "one example of a child that didn't get proper special needs attention", "Michael Jordan", etc.. I put up some numbers and you are dismissing them. I agree with you that it's possible to find LI-Quality schools elsewhere in the country. I've researched it before actually out of curiosity and didn't find any in Low cost of living areas. I wouldn't expect it either, retirees don't really have a need for good schools, they just want good weather & low taxes. I'm a pretty thorough researcher, but if you found your zone, stick with it. I'm happy for you.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
How sad. At least you and your bigoted viewpoints are accepted in your new hometown.
How are her views bigoted? Do you think people who live in a bad area want to live in a bad area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island