Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 AM

18 posts, read 34,313 times

Advertisements

Hi All!
I'm moving to Long Beach with my family (Wife and 2 children aged 3&5) from London, UK.
We're flying to NYC on the 21st May..soon! We're in the process of organising some temporary accomodation (till end of June) so we can look around Long Beach and find something more permanent. We'll be renting at first until we're totally sure where we want to live and then we'll probably buy.
Some questions I have for all the good people on city-data

I read a few things on the East side and west side of LB - a few things will affect which side we rent in:
1 - Best part of the beach for waves
2 - Within walking distance to the LIRR as I'll be traveling into the city everyday - 57 ST (F)
3 - Close to some good Elementary Schools
4 - Within walking distance to grocery stores
5 - Preference is to stay in a house rather than an apartment

I know I wont be able to find the perfect place for all the criteria I put there but close enough to the majority of them would be fine.

Suggestions from anyone on where the best place in LB to live is?
Also - is it safe to find accomodation on craigslist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 05:05 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,249,467 times
Welcome to the USA!

1- If you are into surfing you would want to be close to Lincoln Blvd (East End) I believe but waves are about the same regardless of which end you are on.
2- You will need to be in the East end to walk to the train but if you were in the West end there is a bus that runs quite frequently in the am.
3- Not sure which school would be "better" school in LB.
4- Just about anywhere in LB you are will be close to some type of store
5- YOu can get a house in either the West or the East

With two young kids I would suggest you should probably focus on the East end but it will depend on your budget for rent. The West End will be less but the houses are right on top of each other (literally) and there is more of a party atmosphere in the West so expect it to be loud, even late at night, especially in the summer.

If you love the beach I bet you love LB. It can be very crowded in summer but it sounds like you are going to try to do it without a car to start (which can be done in LB) so parking may not be an issue. If you will have a car, keep that in mind when looking for a place, getting a parking space is huge if you can get one with your place.

The LB train line is fine. I did it for 6 years, you will be in Penn Station in under an hour and you always get a seat in the morning since it is the first stop. DM me if you have any more questions, there will be a few people along shortly to tell you how much it LB sucks but I loved my time there.

Good Luck!

Old 05-10-2011, 05:21 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,981,294 times
Be sure you know where you are walking, there are some "bad" areas of LB.

Plus, the houses are much smaller than you can get 10 minutes north of LB.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 AM

I've heard the East side is the family orientated area so we'll probably stay nearish there but we're not totally into that scene so we'll not be too close!

Rent wise we're looking at about $2200 pm - we're hoping to get a 3 bedroom place. Is that possible in LB?

And yes we wont have a car to start off with but road tripping is something we really want to do once we're in the US so eventually we'll get one.

And thanks Kay, I'll be sure to look out for the 'bad' areas!

Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,249,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbeavis View Post
I've heard the East side is the family orientated area so we'll probably stay nearish there but we're not totally into that scene so we'll not be too close!

Rent wise we're looking at about $2200 pm - we're hoping to get a 3 bedroom place. Is that possible in LB?

And yes we wont have a car to start off with but road tripping is something we really want to do once we're in the US so eventually we'll get one.

And thanks Kay, I'll be sure to look out for the 'bad' areas!
I havent lived in LB since 2004 and I owned a co-op then some I really dont know what a house would rent for these days. I am guessing you should be able to get at least a full floor in a house, possibly a full house for that price.

As for the "bad" area there is one small, isolated section that I might consider not the best, and you would have no reason to be near it.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:37 AM

To put it in perspective, when I was living in LB, the LL was charging 1100 for a tiny studio upstairs, and 1800 for a 2br first floor of a house, in the east end.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
To put it in perspective, when I was living in LB, the LL was charging 1100 for a tiny studio upstairs, and 1800 for a 2br first floor of a house, in the east end.
Thanks - how long ago was that and what is 'the LL'?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:47 AM

the LL = the landlord.

Approx 3 yrs ago.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:39 AM

189 posts, read 633,358 times
The "bad area" is basically on the north side of the Island Behind the walbuams shopping center. I would avoid that area. It's gotten better over the years and probably will be fine one of these days.

The West End has smaller houses, a lot of bungalows and parking next to impossible.

The Center of Town gets the bulk of the beach-vistors and is near most of the major shops and restaurants and LIRR and parking is tough there too.

Any place - house or building near the boardwalk/beach has parking issues during the summer.

I live on the East End and I love the East End. I'm about 5 blocks from the beach and parking is only an issue for me for a few hours a day on the weekend on hot summer days, but I have a driveway.

I also agree that Lincoln Ave is one of the better beaches for surfing. I surf. Right now people are surfing at whatever beach has waves since the summer season didnt start yet.

If you live in an apartment building try to get a parking spot. Long Beach is pretty bicycle friendly and a lot of folks ride their bikes to the LIRR so you should get a bike as an option.

By the way, I run a long beach blog and there is a lot of info on there, plus links to other Long Beach-related websites.

seabythecity.com

-Anthony

Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM

29 posts, read 39,811 times
I think the most important thing that you're fogetting is where is your closest hot dog stand...and with that, where can you get a good hot dog with crisp, toasted buns. No one likes those soggy buns.

These are important...

Here's to making a hot dog it's own food group!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island