Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,764 times

Advertisements

Question for all of you LI experts..

I grew up living on Long Island my entire life, and pretty much never understood how tough it is in regards to cost of living. When I went away to school, I never planned on returning to LI, but with my only somewhat legitimate job offer post-graduation coming from Nassau county, I'm beginning to consider it.

The problems, of course, all stem from one thing - money.

The pros: I've got a long-term girlfriend that's still finishing up school and doesn't really factor into my budgeting, as she won't be moving in just yet. The salary is pretty standard for this **** poor market at ~ 35k, but the hours I'll be working are fairly flexible and it's a job I'd actually enjoy.

The cons: Obviously, living on LI with a 35k salary. My goal was to live western Suffolk area (near where I grew up) and commute into Nassau for work - the drive won't be too bad.

Just wondering if a person can live on the Island making a modest amount of money. I don't mind having to be frugal, but I don't want to be scraping by and don't really want to put myself in a bad position for the sake of having a halfway respectable job. Would much rather wait it out and hope for a better opportunity in some vein attempt at protecting myself financially.

The biggest problem, aside from student loans(which really aren't half bad), is rent. Apartments are out of the question. Studios, while far less expensive and reasonably priced, are still fairly high.

So, what say you - can it be done? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 02:07 AM
grant516

n/a posts
Seems like a waste- you can move to plenty of other places in the country and even at a 27K to 30K pay, you'll do way better in the rental/ownership market.

LI job market has been in decline for the last 30 years, yet the prices of the homes and taxes have been on the increase.

The governing bodies have done with they can to keep themselves as the only property owners, while mainting lifestyles they had become accustomed to during the baby boom- a style that no longer functions for the rest of the country.

Check out Sacramento, CA- you and your GF can find two decent 25-30K a year jobs (and that's the LOW end over there) and own a home in 2-3 years; while enjoying a city with more entertainment than anything you'll find on LI.

Your personal situation can be done, but you'd be a fool to do it- unless of course you know that in some time you'll either make a major pay raise (at least 100%) or inherit a house of some kind.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:46 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,518,481 times
Let me ask this...will your salary go up significantly (fairly soon?) If not, I would look elsewhere. 35K won't get you much.

Also...could you make that much money working in other parts of the country. I know in my case, I make more here on LI then I would just about any where else int eh country, so it doesn't make sense for me to move just for a lower COL. But if you can make the same somewhere else, you'll be better off.

Funny...GRANT516 mentioned Sacramento. I just got a job offer there (making 20K less then I make here)...but the point is that on paper it really does look like a great city. I never considered it before but after talking to some people who live there it does sound nice.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:12 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,820,982 times
I would take the job and keep looking elsewhere in the meantime. Get some experience in your field and keep your eyes open for job opportunities elsewhere. Just because you take a job here in your early 20s doesn't mean you are stuck for life. Like pp said, unless there is significant room for salary increases, it's going to be a slog for people your age on LI, and for what, to live in a crap basement apt for 10 years till you can afford an overpriced, broken down house? But that doesn't mean taking this job limits your options, just keep an open mind. Good luck.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:39 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,180,133 times
35k aint gonna happen.

The truth of the matter is that we are failing as a society.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,092,258 times
wife and I moved from LI to CT several years ago, bought a house we can afford and think about going back sometimes, and both of us together would make well over $100k, and then I get my head screwed back on and we both say no way. We go back to L.I. often but can't see moving back, taxes, traffic, more corrupt politicians than average, poor job market, tolls, etc etc. I know you're from here, but look elsewhere, this is a great big country, Long Island is nice, but there are other better options, not too far away either. We are most likely relo again to Delaware. CT costs have gone up dramatically since we moved here.

$35k in Nassau??, good luck with that unfortunately.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,166,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesauce View Post
Question for all of you LI experts..

. Studios, while far less expensive and reasonably priced, are still fairly high.

So, what say you - can it be done? Thanks!
Studios are possible - not plentiful, but possible in Western Suffolk

Old 03-31-2011, 09:48 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,009,659 times
35K will get you a rice and beans lifestyle. If you have a trust on the side or folks sending you money, then yes. If not, your ability to survive long term at the current economic state is nil.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:27 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,696,228 times
If your folks still live in western Suffolk County, then $35K should allow you to live at home very comfortably until your income improves.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:46 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,733,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Let me ask this...will your salary go up significantly (fairly soon?) If not, I would look elsewhere. 35K won't get you much.

Also...could you make that much money working in other parts of the country. I know in my case, I make more here on LI then I would just about any where else int eh country, so it doesn't make sense for me to move just for a lower COL. But if you can make the same somewhere else, you'll be better off.

Funny...GRANT516 mentioned Sacramento. I just got a job offer there (making 20K less then I make here)...but the point is that on paper it really does look like a great city. I never considered it before but after talking to some people who live there it does sound nice.
An old friend attended CHP academy in West Sacramento and couldn't wait to leave there -- he was single then. He's now further north closer to Mt Shasta and a stone's throw from OR and loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island