Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 07:22 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,736,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
A lot of pre-schools, if they even have field trips, have the parents drive. It can be a dicey liability situation to take kids who should still be in car seats/boosters out on highways on a bus. It's legal but most parents would rather drive themselves.
Ever since they changed the laws a few years ago where even 4 year olds have to be in booster seats, many preschools have stopped offering transportation and field trips (if they even had them in the first place). It's too much trouble. Ask if they have special visitors to the school instead. Sometimes, the local fire department will come to the school and bring their truck, instead of the kids going to the fire station which used to be more common. BTW, if a session runs under a certain amount of time, it does not have to be regulated by social services which is why some places only offer a 2 or 2.5 hour morning or afternoon session. This would be a red flag to me as it would not have to be inspected for safety and sanitary conditions. ALWAYS ask if the school has any licenses and ask to actually SEE them for yourself. They should be displayed on a wall like a health certificate in a restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 08:23 PM

257 posts, read 751,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojobayani View Post
okay so i finally visited merrick woods and wee friends....I happened to like these 2 places as well...Out of the four places i liked wee friends the best followed by merrick woods and maple woods...

Wee friends as ladibug mentioned is not as "showy"...I also felt the same thing ... its not as flashy and is more understated than the other schools...the classrooms are bigger, more airy and lighted than those of other schools(imo)....the playground definitely is a lot smaller than those of other schools but then outside play will only be for 20-30 mins...wee friends does not have transportation services(but its is just 10-12 mins drive from my place) and their morning session is only 2.5 hrs as opposed to other schools i have seen where morning session or half day is 3 or 4 hrs...it just struck me now what do wee friends do abt field trips since they dont have buses of their own...wee friends also doesnt have the option of extended hours...

For me now it comes down to wee friends or merrick woods ...i am leaning towards wee friends.....but I am still not 100% sure....
Like I said I LOVED LOVED LOVED Wee Friends. If you are looking for a little longer school day, they offer what I believe they call a "mini-day" which is 4 hours if I'm not mistaken. As far as trips, they really don't do any, as some other have already suggested is probably due to car seat and logistical issues. They do a lot of nice things on site though. I remember for Halloween they had a pumpkin patch set up in the back playground area. They also have visitors come to the school, a book fair, a thanksgiving feast, things like that. They also offer some theatre after school shows avery now and again.

Miss Linda and Miss Rena are awesome! You can't ask for anything better. They are always willing to listen to any concerns/question and nothing is too small to ask. I also like the fact that it is smaller than the afore mentioned schools; more of a family feel. They know you and your child well within the first few weeks of school.

Also, if you are living in Levittown, which still has 1/2 day kindergarten, Wee Friends offers a Full day kindergarten or a Kindergarten enrichment (they could go there for the other half day). The teacher Ms. Josephine is worth her weight in gold! My son went there and is thriving academically and socially, after having a tough year in another school when he was 3.

I should be their spokesperson, I guess, but honestly- never regretted Wee Friends. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 AM

2 posts, read 3,435 times
SCOPE is a great Pre-K program in Levittown (Island Trees area). My son was in the 4yr old program this year - we loved it! Home » Scope Education Services

Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 AM

21 posts, read 37,120 times
@ amyt324 ..I spoke to the lady at SCOPE..Their ISland trees center is full for the morning session ( which I would be interested in)....Their east meadows facility has some slots free for the morning session....I will be paying them a visit soon....As far as I know they offer 3 days a week program only...I am interested to send my kid for 5 days because I might be joining work sooner than I expected...

We still havent been able to make a decision...Recent events at our end suggests that I could be heading to work a lot sooner than i expected....I will work in the IT industry so it will in all probability be from 9-5....That would mean I have to look for a nursery school which also gives parents the choice of extended hours...either that or I have to find an exceptional babysitter for her in the afternoon/evening after she gets back from a full day of nursery school...

I loved wee friends but they dont do extended hours and unless i find a really nice babysitter I dont know how we can work that out....Merrick woods that way provides extended hours(till 5:30 pm)....wee friends charges $ 4050 n $8050 for 5 half days(9-11:30) n 5 full days(9-2:30)... merrick woods is $6399 for 5 half days(9-1pm) and $10,350(9-4pm)...Since merrick woods also has a good reputation I think that will make more sense for us....Seriously this seems to be the such a tough decision....

Anyone has any experience with Westbury friends school(Westburyfriends.org) in Westbury??Hows their reputation???My husband had paid them a visit...They are an independent school accredited/certified by NYSAIS( NY state association for independent schools)...They also provide extended hours( till 6pm) and charge $10,000 for 5 half days(8:30-12pm) and $12,100 for 5 full days(8:30-2:40pm)...Any info about this school will be very helpful.....

Many thanks

Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 PM

I visited Westbury Friends elementary school quite a few years ago. I was not impressed. It may have changed.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM

If you need the extended hours, you'd be best going with Merrick Woods or Maplewood. I've also heard good things about South Shore Country Day School in North Bellmore- sorry if that complicates things further. Good luck.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:02 AM

@ coney...thanks for ur input....
@ ladibug .. yeah it does complicate things a bit.....I get a little antsy when there is a big decision pending...I so want to finalise on a school ASAP but then the mom in me is like u better check this school out too....As of now i am leaning very heavily towards Merrick woods but I will chk out south shore too before I "seal the deal"....

Old 06-09-2011, 05:14 PM

I visited South Shore Country Day a few years ago too. I didn't like the owner at all. I know people who worked there. It didn't sound all that great.

I've met one of the owners of Merrick Woods and her late husband. She seems on the ball. Also know current and past employees who seem to say that it is basically well-run. Not too much turnover there as they tend to pay their teachers and assistants slightly higher than average. I liked the grounds. It is deceptively large.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:46 AM

okay so I registered my daughter at merrick woods... Thank you for your inputs....

My neighbour was mentioning Kiddie junction....Anybody has any info on it??

Old 06-16-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojobayani View Post
okay so I registered my daughter at merrick woods... Thank you for your inputs....

My neighbour was mentioning Kiddie junction....Anybody has any info on it??
Good choice. I've only heard good things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island