Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 10:35 AM

449 posts, read 1,132,811 times

Advertisements

Did anybody mention Riverhead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 10:44 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
Did anybody mention Riverhead?
I've never been a fan of Riverhead but I wouldn't say it's one of the top 5 worst areas on Long Island. Parts of it seem kinda "dingy" but not as bad as some places more west. It's very boring too according to one of my friends there which doesn't surprise me.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:30 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,130,940 times
Since this thread is bumped anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
And the worst part is that there is plenty more where that came from. Check this out: 800 Howard Street, Camden, NJ - Google Maps (a few blocks over from yours)

Even the nicer parts of Camden still look worse than the "bad" towns of Long Island.

It's amazing that in the NYC forum, they are debating over whether Mott Haven and Soundview are safe, and you guys are calling towns that we would easily consider middle class "bad".
Looking at it again, it actually doesn't look too bad (it still looks worse than anywhere on LI, though). None of the homes are boarded up (though some are covered in bars to prevent break-ins)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Here's Camden:
camden, nj - Google Maps

I think I saw a few dumped bodies in street view This might be the good section of it too.
Actually, this actually is one of the worst sections of Camden. The better sections are the Downtown area (partially because of Rutgers being there), and the Fairview section in the southwest corner of the city. I think there might be a few decent areas in the northeastern part of the city as well.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:14 PM

173 posts, read 360,676 times
all of them...

Old 12-25-2011, 06:27 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,808,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
I would unfortunately have to say Wyandanch. (part of north bellport i would say is 2nd worst)

There are some really great people from Wyandanch but I can't find anything good about it for the exception of the fact that a LIRR station is there so you can get out of there quicker. Gas Prices are usually cheaper there too. Oh, and they build a lot of low-cost new houses there.

It's just not a nice place to be and I don't even think other 'similar' communities like Roosevelt, Central Islip, Hempstead, Mastic Beach, North Amityville, Brentwood, etc, could even be compared to it because at least those places could support a decent retail/commercial base; while not even a McDonalds could last in Wyandanch. Wyandanch doesn't have any mainstream pharmacies or supermarkets either (except for a Compare Foods supermarket with a very awkward parking lot). The business area of Straight Path reminds me of a ghetto part of NYC with neglected brick storefronts and groups of grown men hanging in front of them in the middle of the business-day.

It also has an illegal immigrant problem. There are some very scary residential areas/blocks in Wyandanch too (especially in the Lake Drive area) where all you see is abandoned boarded up houses, Occupied houses with overgrown lawns and cars parked on the front lawns, empty lots and very neglected streets. It's very depressing and strangely quiet. There are some OK parts of Wyandanch like some blocks around Wyandanch High School, N.26th - N.28th Streets and northeastern section (the neighborhood around where venedia dr. and nicolls rd meets). OUTSIDE of Wyandanch there are some very beautiful areas like Wheatley Heights and the Belmont section of North/West Babylon thats located west of Belmont State Park and south of Wyandanch ave (not including cumberbach/booker/davidson streets which is still wyandanch).

The School District is horrific, I think it's THE bottom school district on the island. Oh, and people(teachers/staff) like to park on the grass/dirt in front of the schools; it looks very tacky.

Crime is horrific there, yesterday according to the news, a man was shot in the foot walking down a street. Within the last few weeks, 2 young people were shot also.

Even though there are working class areas with crime issues (like North Amityville, Roosevelt, Central Islip), I wouldn't consider them to be ghettoes (except for particular sections of them). Wyandanch is one of the very few Long Island communities that I would truly consider to be ghetto to the core and Wyandanch really needs a miracle.

(I live less than a mile away from Wyandanch and have family and friends there so I spend a good amount of time there)
I wouldnt call central islip bad at all. I see plenty of young, white, professional and educated buying homes there.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:50 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
I wouldnt call central islip bad at all. I see plenty of young, white, professional and educated buying homes there.
Maybe so, but there's still tons of crime in CI.

Old 12-25-2011, 07:57 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,330,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Most of those "young, white, professional and educated" people are probably buying in that area near the courthouse with the new condo's and everything if what you said is true.

Old 12-25-2011, 08:20 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
Quote:
Most of those "young, white, professional and educated" people are probably buying in that area near the courthouse with the new condo's and everything if what you said is true.
I'm a federal employee and I frequently go to the federal court house in CI. During the day time, the area is safe as there are lots of law enforcement people running around the area. I've also been to the area at night, after the courts have closed, and I'll tell you, I wouldn't want to live in that area.

Old 12-25-2011, 05:46 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,673 times
Quote:
Oh joy.

Old 12-25-2011, 06:12 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,808,045 times
Quote:
no, not the condos. Ive met some them bought houses there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island