Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 02:31 PM

83 posts, read 254,948 times

Advertisements

Thanks in advance for any input...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 04:37 PM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Stewart Manor is part of Elmont school district. The elementary school is OK. Where would your child go to high school instead?

Stewart Manor is a nice area. Has an aggressive village govt that goes after building /illegal rentals, if that matters to you.

What other areas are you looking at?

Old 06-05-2011, 05:35 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Great little town, very family/community oriented. Maybe too "small town" for some. A lot of people send their kids to St. Anne's. The elementary school is pretty well regarded though. Good shopping on Covert Avenue.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:34 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
What SD would you fall in if not Sewanhaka (besides Garden City)?

IMO, it's a very small, close-knit, somewhat peculiar village. I probably wouldn't move there unless I knew a few people on my block or had some relatives there.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:06 PM

Thanks everyone, wife and I already know that we are going to have to send kids to a private school HS if we decided to move there. Just trying to get a sense of the village community.

Elementary definitely looks good, Sewanhaka HS totally out of the question.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 PM

276 posts, read 988,854 times
I would pass on Stewart Manor and Floral Park. Incorporated villages are not worth the extra funds you will have to pay in taxes. Lots are tight, it's very small town which lends to a cliquey feel, and neighbors in your business. You can get much more for your money elsewhere, in towns that are not incorporated, therefore lower taxes. I would never purchase in Stewart Manor, simply due to the school district issue, which you clearly realize is a problem. If you add your taxes plus the cost of paying for private high school (and who knows, maybe you will realize the lower schools are not all that great either), it is a very high cost for not so much value.

I would suggest other towns over this area anyday. You just don't get much for your money here. Stewart Manor does not even have a park for children to play in or a recreation center with a pool. The area is very congested as well, with many of the homes in Stewart Manor housing 2 families. They are duplexes, so 2 families live in what appears to be a one family house. Often times each owner of each half of the house decorates it with siding, shutters, etc, to their own appeal, and opposite their attached neigbor. Looks tacky and awful. This adds to the unappeal of the area, along with the congestion. Look elsewhere.

What are your criteria for your prospective new home so maybe we can guide you elsewhere?

Last edited by WiseWords; 06-05-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 08:35 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
I would pass on Stewart Manor and Floral Park. Incorporated villages are not worth the extra funds you will have to pay in taxes. Lots are tight, it's very small town which lends to a cliquey feel, and neighbors in your business. You can get much more for your money elsewhere, in towns that are not incorporated, therefore lower taxes. I would never purchase in Stewart Manor, simply due to the school district issue, which you clearly realize is a problem. If you add your taxes plus the cost of paying for private high school (and who knows, maybe you will realize the lower schools are not all that great either), it is a very high cost for not so much value.

I would suggest other towns over this area anyday. You just don't get much for your money here. Stewart Manor does not even have a park for children to play in or a recreation center with a pool. The area is very congested as well, with many of the homes in Stewart Manor housing 2 families. They are duplexes, so 2 families live in what appears to be a one family house. Often times each owner of each half of the house decorates it with siding, shutters, etc, to their own appeal, and opposite their attached neigbor. Looks tacky and awful. This adds to the unappeal of the area, along with the congestion. Look elsewhere.

What are your criteria for your prospective new home so maybe we can guide you elsewhere?
Very accurate. Except for the first sentence about incorporated villages. Unless they have their own police force, it's almost always a wash compared to unincorporated areas. And may actually be lower in the village (because Town taxes are lowered). If a Village has its own police force, chances are residents in said village are shelling out a lot of $$ for the luxury of having their own PD. No doubt about that. (Lynbrook, Garden City, Hempstead Village are good examples of this).

Old 06-05-2011, 08:54 PM

Thanks Wise,

I need to stay in the Floral Park/SManor/GC area due to child care issues. You make really good points, my price range is in the 500K to 600K area. There are a couple of homes in that or close to that range in GC. Although I am going to pay more for less in GC, I wont have the school issue which is a big deal. I might low ball a few homes in GC and see what happens, maybe I will get lucky.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:28 PM

276 posts, read 988,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r20926 View Post
Thanks Wise,

I need to stay in the Floral Park/SManor/GC area due to child care issues. You make really good points, my price range is in the 500K to 600K area. There are a couple of homes in that or close to that range in GC. Although I am going to pay more for less in GC, I wont have the school issue which is a big deal. I might low ball a few homes in GC and see what happens, maybe I will get lucky.
I would absolutely go for GC. Even if you get less for your $, you are making a much wiser investment. GC has many parks, a wonderful rec center with amazing pools and activites for children, as well as excellent highly regarded schools. If you can swing it, I would only suggest GC out of the above you listed. Very different, a league of it's own compared to FP or SM. Good luck.

Last edited by WiseWords; 06-05-2011 at 09:52 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 07:59 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
... in towns that are not incorporated ...
By definition, the 3 towns in Nassau County and the 10 towns in Suffolk County, as are all towns in New York State, are incorporated.

I think you are referring to hamlets, unincorporated areas in one or more towns.

NYS Geographic Glossary may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island