Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2011, 04:54 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times

Advertisements

I think graduation rates are a good measure of the quality of a School District;
Graduation rate for LI school districts

And of course taking a ride around the School to see how the students act.

Does anybody disagree with this or have better ways of measuring the quality of it?

(And can anybody find a link to the 2010 graduation rates?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 04:58 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
You might want to look up districts individually using the NYS Report Card web site.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:59 PM

401 posts, read 944,810 times
Also how many enter into a 2 or 4 year college. (anticipate objections) yes I know not all students are college material...

Old 06-06-2011, 06:54 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Graduation rates
% attending college
standardized test scores

all should be factored in.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:44 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,773 times
How can you factor the quality of parenting when measuring the quality of a school district?

Old 06-06-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
How can you factor the quality of parenting when measuring the quality of a school district?

You can't until you actually experience the parents and the kids. So, you have to use stats to try to figure out first and foremost whether the kids in the school care about education, based mainly on how they perform.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:13 AM

Ultimately, won't the parenting be a larger factor to a child's education than statistics? And if so, doesn't that also make minor statistical differences fairly meaningless?

I'm not trying to be a wise-ass, I just think there is too much over analysis of the statistics. I'm sure we've all heard the phrase "paralysis by analysis"...

Granted, a school with a 50% graduation rate has a problem, but is there really a big difference between a school with an 89% or a 95% graduation rate? Heck that could be as few as 10 or 20 kids, and to me that is more telling of the value placed on education by parents than of the schools.

How many times on this forum do you see 6 pages debating which school is "better" when few, if any, of the people debating have ever put a foot into the school they are discussing?

I guess my "bottom line" is that stats really break schools into 3 categories - elite, good, and bad....after that people need to rely on their own observations and interactions. In other words go see it for yourself and don't rely blindly on statistics.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Ultimately, won't the parenting be a larger factor to a child's education than statistics? And if so, doesn't that also make minor statistical differences fairly meaningless?

I'm not trying to be a wise-ass, I just think there is too much over analysis of the statistics. I'm sure we've all heard the phrase "paralysis by analysis"...

Granted, a school with a 50% graduation rate has a problem, but is there really a big difference between a school with an 89% or a 95% graduation rate? Heck that could be as few as 10 or 20 kids, and to me that is more telling of the value placed on education by parents than of the schools.

How many times on this forum do you see 6 pages debating which school is "better" when few, if any, of the people debating have ever put a foot into the school they are discussing?

I guess my "bottom line" is that stats really break schools into 3 categories - elite, good, and bad....after that people need to rely on their own observations and interactions. In other words go see it for yourself and don't rely blindly on statistics.
It's obvious to me that why parenting part is not part of the discussion. People aren't asking you how great their parenting is, they're asking what the best school districts are. Of course Parenting is more important than the schools teachers and programs, but that isn't the question being asked, so it's not relevant.

The kids that your children associate with every day when they walk out your front door have a major effect on how they view education. If they are in a school where performing well is looked down on by other kids, do you really want that? Of course a strong willed kid with good parenting will overcome that..but what about if your kids isn't perfect and is on the edge?

Maybe being around a bunch of kids to whom going to college is a priority vs a bunch of knuckleheads makes a big enough difference to put them on the right course.

Of course there are many variables with each individual person. It's doesn't negate the debate over what schools are better. An average is just that..an average..that you can use to make your own judgement about the schools. If 5% difference in graduation rate doesn't mean anything to you, then that's your choice that you are free to make.

Telling other people they are wasting their time worrying about it..well..that's your opinion. Not every kid is perfect and why put them in a less advantageous position if you don't have to, because you want 500 sq feet more house for the same money.

I remember my own upbringing in a very "middle class" Suffolk school district. The really smart kids took major heat for it, especially during middle school. In that district, my perception was that if you were a football player or your dad owned the local pizza parlor, that was more respected than being in the top 10% of your class. Of course there is always some of that in every school, but again, it is a question of DEGREE.

I remember the validictorian at my school took his revenge on the bully dirtbags and jocks when he gave his commencement speech, about how much hell he had been put through in middle school by certain segments of the population.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It's obvious to me that why parenting part is not part of the discussion. People aren't asking you how great their parenting is, they're asking what the best school districts are. Of course Parenting is more important than the schools teachers and programs, but that isn't the question being asked, so it's not relevant.

The kids that your children associate with every day when they walk out your front door have a major effect on how they view education. If they are in a school where performing well is looked down on by other kids, do you really want that? Of course a strong willed kid with good parenting will overcome that..but what about if your kids isn't perfect and is on the edge?

Maybe being around a bunch of kids to whom going to college is a priority vs a bunch of knuckleheads makes a big enough difference to put them on the right course.

Of course there are many variables with each individual person. It's doesn't negate the debate over what schools are better. An average is just that..an average..that you can use to make your own judgement about the schools. If 5% difference in graduation rate doesn't mean anything to you, then that's your choice that you are free to make.

Telling other people they are wasting their time worrying about it..well..that's your opinion. Not every kid is perfect and why put them in a less advantageous position if you don't have to, because you want 500 sq feet more house for the same money.

I remember my own upbringing in a very "middle class" Suffolk school district. The really smart kids took major heat for it, especially during middle school. In that district, my perception was that if you were a football player or your dad owned the local pizza parlor, that was more respected than being in the top 10% of your class. Of course there is always some of that in every school, but again, it is a question of DEGREE.

I remember the validictorian at my school took his revenge on the bully dirtbags and jocks when he gave his commencement speech, about how much hell he had been put through in middle school by certain segments of the population.
I think you have valid points and I think we are in agreement on many. Ultimately there is a lot more to it than statistics.

I never said they're wasting time, I said the desire to over analyze creates it's own issues, including the possibility of false hope.

Yes, it is my opinion that attempting to know your child as an individual and honestly judging their true capabilities (not through rose colored parent glasses) is an important part of the process. The process being to fill their tool box with what they will ultimately need to make their own decisions. Ultimately they will make their own decisions as an individual, and that will include who they associate with.

I don't think patterns of human behavior change that much because of a particular school. I think more than the district you attended has a situation with "popular kids" vs others (or Jocks vs. Nerds as the case may be). I don't think that goes away in a school with better statistics. The numbers or trappings of popularity may change, but not the basic behavior. I mean, Imagine the amount of shame the poor kid attending Mr. Moneybags HS must feel when he has to drive to school in a Honda...oh the shame of not having a Mercedes..

This doesn't mean I suggest putting them into a less advantageous position. But IMO, if someone with a pre-school age child is considering purchasing a house in either Bethpage or Plainedge and relies strictly on the statistics of each of those districts to make a choice then they are not necessarily making the best decision.

Obviously, there is no knowing how each district will perform 10 years in the future. More importantly, the difference in numbers between those schools are small enough as to truly be insignificant and other factors should take precedent.

Old 06-06-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
I think you have valid points and I think we are in agreement on many. Ultimately there is a lot more to it than statistics.

I never said they're wasting time, I said the desire to over analyze creates it's own issues, including the possibility of false hope.

Yes, it is my opinion that attempting to know your child as an individual and honestly judging their true capabilities (not through rose colored parent glasses) is an important part of the process. The process being to fill their tool box with what they will ultimately need to make their own decisions. Ultimately they will make their own decisions as an individual, and that will include who they associate with.

I don't think patterns of human behavior change that much because of a particular school. I think more than the district you attended has a situation with "popular kids" vs others (or Jocks vs. Nerds as the case may be). I don't think that goes away in a school with better statistics. The numbers or trappings of popularity may change, but not the basic behavior. I mean, Imagine the amount of shame the poor kid attending Mr. Moneybags HS must feel when he has to drive to school in a Honda...oh the shame of not having a Mercedes..

This doesn't mean I suggest putting them into a less advantageous position. But IMO, if someone with a pre-school age child is considering purchasing a house in either Bethpage or Plainedge and relies strictly on the statistics of each of those districts to make a choice then they are not necessarily making the best decision.

Obviously, there is no knowing how each district will perform 10 years in the future. More importantly, the difference in numbers between those schools are small enough as to truly be insignificant and other factors should take precedent.
Can't argue with any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: