Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 02:28 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
Without your own kitchen, I don't think it's an "illegal apartment." I think it's a house share with the owner of the house living on the premises.

You have to decide how much you trust this lady and if you can live without having a kitchen.
imo I think it depends on how it is offered: if there are multiple rooms in the house and it is advertised as a "room share" kind of deal, then the LL is fine, but if it's just a room in a house with a lady, and OP isn't allowed to use the kitchen, it is no bueno.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinity5098 View Post
Exactly and this woman is willing to; its a risk. I am not denying that but again, what are my options here? My uncle is unwilling to work out anything with me in terms of utilities or anything! Its either take this or stay and continue having problems with him money wise, utility wise, just everything.
I don't know your personal situation but let me play devil's advocate here...

let's say, you move in with this lady and everything works out for a few months. Then, something happens and you need to get a new place... you are back at step one.

why not try to find a better place from the start, maybe get some family members to adopt your dogs and find a place that will allow one, maybe two, dogs?

Old 06-07-2011, 02:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
imo I think it depends on how it is offered: if there are multiple rooms in the house and it is advertised as a "room share" kind of deal, then the LL is fine, but if it's just a room in a house with a lady, and OP isn't allowed to use the kitchen, it is no bueno.
If the LL lives on the premises with the tenant(s) it's usually legal, whether or not there are actual "kitchen privileges." It's when the LL lives elsewhere and tries to make an unauthorized "boardinghouse" out of a single-family home shared by unrelated tenants is when it slides over into illegal territory.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I don't know your personal situation but let me play devil's advocate here...

let's say, you move in with this lady and everything works out for a few months. Then, something happens and you need to get a new place... you are back at step one.

why not try to find a better place from the start, maybe get some family members to adopt your dogs and find a place that will allow one, maybe two, dogs?
That's the scary part.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
If the LL lives on the premises with the tenant(s) it's usually legal, whether or not there are actual "kitchen privileges." It's when the LL lives elsewhere and tries to make an unauthorized "boardinghouse" out of a single-family home shared by unrelated tenants is when it slides over into illegal territory.
Ahh ok -- I figured to make an apt habitable you needed to have a cooking area. Having one in the building, but only accessible by one person (in this case, the live-in LL) would be no good.

Quote:
That's the scary part.
Yep. Do it right the first time... less stress in the future..

All I know is we had a really hard time finding a place that would allow a 70lb trained Lab, I would have no idea where to start with 5 dogs..

Old 06-07-2011, 02:36 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Quote:
This is incorrect. Some towns, such as Huntington, allow "accessory apartments" which require the landlord to live in the house. However, just because the owner lives there does not make it legal. They need to get a permit from the town.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
This is incorrect. Some towns, such as Huntington, allow "accessory apartments" which require the landlord to live in the house. However, just because the owner lives there does not make it legal. They need to get a permit from the town.
Right.

Doubly so if there is a second kitchen going in.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:39 PM

15 posts, read 19,938 times
Quote:
^^^
Without your own kitchen, I don't think it's an "illegal apartment." I think it's a house share with the owner of the house living on the premises.

You have to decide how much you trust this lady and if you can live without having a kitchen.

I sympathize about the pets and how hard it is to find a place willing to accept 1 dog, let alone 5.

I can see why you'd want to get out from under your current situation also.

These are all great points and I have thought of them 20 times over and over and over LOL. I feel like I am hanging onto the kitchen idea because I am used to having it but in reality I cook once every couple weeks and even then its something simple.

Obviously I do not know her but based on my first impression I think I can trust her. She went through a divorce and she is just looking to make ends meet. She looks at it like she is helping me out and I am helping her out.

My goal here is to save money and eventually buy my own place because the 5 dogs is ALWAYS going to be an issue and the only way around it is to own. They are my responsibility, I choose to keep them once the mom had them because the circumstances were different then. I cannot give them up, I have had them all since birth.

And I just want some peace of mind! Everyday is a new issue with this house and I am just done! I dont have any extra income for anything and I really mean anything. The slightest thing that breaks, needs to be bought or replaces is a hassle money wise and I dont want to live like that anymore.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:41 PM

15 posts, read 19,938 times
Quote:
That's the scary part.
You're right I am but in those months I will have saved money. I can easily save $500 a month just be leaving the house I am in right now.

I really appreciate you all talking this out with me. All these ideas have occured to me too which makes me nervous but sometimes sorting it all out helps.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Interesting. A homeowner needs to get a permit to share his/her house with another person? What do you call that kind of permit? A Boarders' Permit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island