Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 12:25 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,317,329 times

Advertisements

... "reorganize the police department by July 1."

Notice how they put that in as a little tag instead of giving it its own story.

From Newsday Mobile, for all to read:

Top Stories Item

Quote:
County Executive Edward Mangano is expected Monday to announce plans to layoff 130 employees and reorganize the police department by July 1 as he attempts to meet a financial control board's mandate to close a $176 million budget gap.
Of course we can assume it's the "little guys" who will take it in the neck mostly:

Quote:
The layoffs would consist almost entirely of Civil Service Employee Association members
Although I wouldn't cry for almost half of them at this point, as they did get a perk:

Quote:
Mangano said 54 employees had taken a voluntary separation package and Laricchiuta said he hoped he could extend the deadline for that program.
And here's the few details on the police "reorganization:"

Quote:
The police reorganization will cut members of special police units, such as the marine bureau, highway patrol and the canine unit, and put the officers back onto the street. Although Mangano was expected to close an existing precinct to cut costs, that was not likely to be announced Monday.
I wonder which precinct is under fire and if they will actually do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:05 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
... "reorganize the police department by July 1."

Notice how they put that in as a little tag instead of giving it its own story.

From Newsday Mobile, for all to read:

Top Stories Item

Of course we can assume it's the "little guys" who will take it in the neck mostly:

Although I wouldn't cry for almost half of them at this point, as they did get a perk:

And here's the few details on the police "reorganization:"

I wonder which precinct is under fire and if they will actually do it.
I thought NCPD & CSES filed suit against the NIFA salary freeze, was that resolved?

Old 06-14-2011, 06:13 AM

324 posts, read 335,417 times
The wage freeze suit has not been settled.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:22 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,039,737 times
He was looking to combine the 6th and 2nd precincts.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:25 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,999,914 times
A little off topic, but I would love to get rid of Town of Hempstead govt. They just block development and drive out businesses. South and central Nassau communities have little tax base and it continues to shrink. Hempstead Tpke is becoming a ghost town with businesses vacating and no one taking their place. Too much hassle, too expensive, too many govt hands out looking for their take.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:51 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,786,106 times
I can't wait to see these actual proposals happen.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I can't wait to see these actual proposals happen.
The PBA seems to think they will get back pay once NIFA steps away, that wasn't the case in Erie County Control Board (Buffalo) but the language was slightly different, hopefully the wage freeze will be in place for some time.

Old 06-14-2011, 05:33 PM

324 posts, read 335,417 times
I'd rather see the total compensation be cut by $30,000 per cop. This would leave the average wages + benefits total at $170,000 per cop (source: WSJ) which is more than generous. The savings can help offset property tax increases for years.

The fact is, the LI county police are paid too much.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:36 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,897 times
And all this after creating a new position for Al D'Amato's daughter, Lisa Murphy. Apparently, she will be making $105k for a newly created position in the Human Services Department. And guess what? There are no qualifications for the position...so Al's daughter fits the requirements P-E-R-F-E-C-T-L-Y. She has no experience to substantiate this position or salary but hey, she IS Al D'Amato's daughter.

Honestly, I'm aghast. I used to like Mangano BUT when he's laying off 130 low-paid civil service workers and at the same time creating this highly paid patronage position, I have to reiterate: Nassau is doomed! There is no integrity left here.

I won't be voting for Mangano in any capacity in the future.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:34 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
in before liberal bedwetters delete post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island